DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2A: AERO STAR vs. ROMAN REIGNS

MM16: 2nd RDA - AERO STAR vs. ROMAN REIGNS  

104 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

The WM match was the one time I was really like, "fuck yeah, Roman Reigns!" Since then, it's become apparent that Brock called one hell of a match. If you separate the booking from Roman's matches, like how I advocated for Seth, what you have is something that Marcel and the DVDVR Chicago Cubs crew have pinned down pretty well.

Basically, I look at Roman and think, for who he is and what he does, is he any better than someone like Sheamus. And I want to say yes until I realize that I would only say yes because Roman's stuff isn't nearly as tired as Sheamus' stuff.

I don't think Roman is bad. I think Roman can have a great match if he has a good dance partner. In this case though, Aero Star is so much better.

Reigns HAS improved his in-ring ability. It wasn't just Lesnar/Reigns for MOTY, but he was on fire during the early part of the year and having four star matches each PPV (even bringing guys like Big Show to four stars earlier this year.) In the ring, he's improved to a damn good main event-style wrestler. 

Booking wise he's shown flashes of being able to succeed well that are destroyed by WWE's inability to give the top stars any internal logic beyond "whatever he was written to do this week is what he'd do in any given situation"- but even TLC and the Raw afterwards (where he had Boston and Philadelphia excited to see him kick Authority ass and win the World Title) proved that he can succeed.

That ties to the bigger issue right here- unlike people like, say, Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus (where they have every tool you could ask for except "the fans just ain't buying what they're selling", it seems to have gone worse with Reigns, where the fans have gone further to "The fans REFUSE to buy what Roman Reigns is selling, because no matter how good Reigns is, if Roman Reigns makes it to the top that inevitably means THEIR guy [whichever indy alumni they choose this week] WON'T." As a result, fans basically chose to ignore that Reigns became good less because "is he good or not" and more "You can't become a great wrestler! WE WON'T LET YOU! Even if you become good, WE VOW TO MAKE YOU FAIL!"

Reigns is probably going to lose this match. And that's the whole point. 

• Like 3

Reigns is a good ass wrestler. Hes boring as shit as a character, but he hits people pretty hard and has been in multiple good matches. I like Aero Star, but I think he's pretty far behind Fenix, Pentagon and Cuerno.This one was actually pretty easy for me and I love Lucha Underground more than I love at least one of my children.

So, I've watched quite a bit of Aero Star to prep for this tournament, stuff in and out of the voting period. I can recognize that Aero Star is very good at what he does. I can recognize that the WWE style is pretty uniform and kinda dull. 

I'd still rather watch someone who can proficiently work a WWE-style match than watch someone who works like Aero Star, though. 

I'll vote Reigns, the only member of the Shield who isn't the shits when it comes to the in-ring stuff. I mean, he got good matches out of a still-crappy ADR (in fact, ADR starting having good matches again after that match with Swagger and then against Kalisto) and Sheamus, so that alone is pretty astonishing.