104 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

AERO STAR

Myzteziz, Aerostar y Argenis VS Cibernético, Averno y Chessman

http://youtu.be/km0ztkSwWFc

vs. Jack Evans

ROMAN REIGNS

vs. Seth Rollins*

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qltvv_wwe-smackdown-roman-reigns-vs-rusev-full-match-hd-video_sport

vs. Rusev

* - Indicates 1001 Match selection

I really have to stop looking at who votes for what

I feel 0 shame in voting for Reigns. He has had a lot of good and some great matches this year. I'm not going to hold WWE's incompetent booking against him. The Reigns/Lesnar match is one of my favorite Mania matches ever.

There is plenty of good to great time period from Reigns

There are two problems

A) as you mentioned - people can't get out of their own heads and separate the booking (and crowd reactions) from the actual man and the ring work

B.) he is facing Aero Star

I have no idea who I am voting for

Aerostar is probably my favorite tecnico right now, period, but much like Drago, AAA never uses him well so you're confined to about ten Lucha Underground matches to show why.

Watch the gift of the gods match from Ultima Lucha.  That dive was really high you guys

Aero Star has that great leap of faith back dive, and he's one of those people in the class of tecnicos that can do that "foot on the inside rope" dive over the top which is all the rage, but I don't know. He feels a little bit interchangeable to me based on just his Lucha Underground work. I'd vote for Jack Evans over Aerostar in that Lucha Underground match for his hilarious "yo soy lucha libre!" gimmick, for instance (though that's made a little annoying by Marty the Moth basically having the same gimmick).

I'm going to hold off for voting right now. However, my inclination is to vote for the guy that is a human time traveling spaceship over the guy whose character work drains my soul of the will to watch wrestling. He's mechanically fine though I hate his match structures and hope spots for a big bad ass. If Roman were great, he would transcend the shitty booking like a lot of the big stars have done in the past. He's not great, he's pretty good.

Plus this:

tumblr_nqi5pvKmGE1sbzhteo1_400.gif

tumblr_nso8abGY6j1sbzhteo1_400.gif

pYEwCq6.gif

Aero Star's trust dives are my favourite dives.

I'll watch that Seth Rollins fancam before voting. The fact you can see the best of Aero Star encapsulated in gif form is definitely a knock on him though. Even if those gifs are incredible.

• Like 1

I do like that Reigns is like the one guy that everyone wants to film so there are a ton of handhelds. So you can kinda just watch wrestling in a vacuum and decide for yourself

• Like 1

I was going to automatically pick Aerostar coming into this.  But goc makes a good point.  The shit he had to put up with isn't entirely his fault.  There is something to be said about making chicken salad out of chicken shit, and a lot of the all-time greats founds ways to overcome that.  But man, thinking about all the bullshit they put him through I do feel bad for the guy.  I'll have to re-think this for a bit, luckily I have two days.

• Like 1

However, my inclination is to vote for the guy that is a human time traveling spaceship over the guy whose character work drains my soul of the will to watch wrestling.

Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling needed a human time traveling spaceship. Max Moon's gimmick should've been detailed as such a thing. And now, I want to see Reigns given that gimmick.

This is a great question.

I have not watched Lucha Underground, let alone traditional lucha. I have to change this soon. However, I have spent many hours watching Aerostar highlight videos someone made that are set to Warped Tour-style pop-punk music. I have answered "Sabu" many times to the question of who is my all-time favorite wrestler. I love spots. I am a highspot freak. I totally get the whole "storytelling first" thing but I still love matches built around insane car wrecks. I have no idea how well Aerostar can tell a story. I do not care. Aerostar is the best comparison to a modern day Sabu we have. He's obviously not a gore maniac (to my knowledge) and hasn't been in anything as jarring as the Born To Be Wired match. But his no-look back dive and a bunch of other stuff could legitimately kill him if they go wrong. In addition, he also has the weird combination of lankiness and gracefulness of Psichosis. I friggin' love Psich.

Roman Reigns is friggin' great. He has been in more MOTYCs than anyone in the WWE since his debut in the company. Yes, this counts The Shield. But since then, he has had a better collection than both Dean and Rollins (and I love both of those guys). Roman had a great individual year and in a bunch of good multi-man matches against whatever Wyatts combination. He got an amazing pop in Philly when he finally won the title. This came one year after the crowd, long regarded as the most hostile audience in wrestling, booed him out of the building. I think that says it all about how good Roman has become.

Great question that I will not answer.

And wrestling in the current WWE main event spot is the hardest position to have in wrestling. The loudest fans have become so meta. Any boos Roman gets isn't because of his character's actions -- he's a solid bro who is tough as hell. The boos he gets are reactions to perceived bad booking/an unfair push handed to Roman/etc. How do you overcome that on a consistent basis? John Cena hasn't been able to overcome that.

• Like 1

Roman Reigns gives me no joy. His overall persona seems to be properly rated, but the dude is somehow overrated in the ring around here. Like, he has had more opportunities that anyone else in this tournament and the results are usually meh. If the goal is to have an average WWE main event that doesn't try to be anything else then the dude is your guy. I prefer my top WWE guys to mix it up a little, or you know, actually be good enough to break out of the everything-is-good-nothing-is-great WWE long match formula.

• Like 3

And wrestling in the current WWE main event spot is the hardest position to have in wrestling. The loudest fans have become so meta. Any boos Roman gets isn't because of his character's actions -- he's a solid bro who is tough as hell. The boos he gets are reactions to perceived bad booking/an unfair push handed to Roman/etc. How do you overcome that on a consistent basis? John Cena hasn't been able to overcome that.

Thing is, Cena HAS overcame it, He overcame it years ago. Sure, he gets booed, but it never swallowed his act whole.

The reality is the WWE fucked up Roman, who is a legitimately good wrestler. They fucked up his initial push by having him win a Rumble when Bryan just came back, which wasn't even a bad call, just horribly done. They fucked up even more sense by having him be a character who doesn't actually feel like a character. Every once in a while they just nail something with him, then they go right back to not knowing what the fuck they are doing the next week. 

That said, Jrag does have a bit of a point. A big problem with WWE is how everything, from the shows to the matches, feel formulaic, and Roman Reigns hasn't mixed anything up all year. 

That said, Jrag does have a bit of a point. A big problem with WWE is how everything, from the shows to the matches, feel formulaic, and Roman Reigns hasn't mixed anything up all year. 

I am not disagreeing with anything you say - just noting the irony of Jrag complaining about the WWE being formulaic while being the biggest Brock Lesnar supporter on the board.

• Like 1

Went with Roman. I liked both guys this year but Roman was in the MOTY and his booking shouldn't be held against him.  I'm also not sure if his promos should be held against him. He's put in a position where you know he's going to fail but I feel like if he was given his old Shield character to work with, silent badass, he'd be a lot better off..   

Aero Star wasn't asked to do anything he can't do for the majority of the year.

As has been mentioned, the formulaic WWE main event style really doesn't do Reigns any favors.  A lot of his matches are him killing time until the apron dropkick, Superman punch, and spear.  

When it comes down to it, I like watching most Aero Star matches and I don't like watching most Roman Reigns matches.

• Like 1