DVDVR Message Board

Metallica's Master of Puppets is 30 years old today.

The Natural

30 years ago today, Metallica’s Master of Puppets came out. Master of Puppets is a classic album with the title song, Battery, Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and Orion the stand out tracks. Sadly this was the last album to feature Cliff Burton. I’m listening to the album now as I type. 

• Like 1

I didn't get into Metallica until a few years after MOP, but this still makes me feel old. I go back and forth on this or Rust in Peace as the goat metal album. Kirk and Cliff trading solos in Orion gives me goosebumps every time.

• Like 2

It still sounds just as amazing. I was like five when it came out so I was too young to know who they were or anything. I got the album in like 96 when Load came out cause that's when I got into them. The album sounds so fresh today as it must have back then.

• Like 1

Which means that sometime this weekend is the 30th anniversary of me buying Master of Puppets.  Shit...this year for my birthday will be 30 years since Cliff Burton died.

30 years is a crazy number.  To think that 30 years back counting from Master of Puppets is like Roll Over Beethoven.  Does that mean Metallica is to today's youth what Chuck Berry was when I was a kid?  Like, "heritage rock"?

• Like 1

Remember that opening acoustic guitar track to Battery being the loudest acoustic I'd ever heard when they piped it through the Municipal Auditorium speakers back in '86.

The Auditorium was a sonic shitshow, but it was the go to venue for wrestling and heavy metal bands until sometime in the 90s.

Might still have a Metallica t-shirt from that show. 

Back to the front, one of the greatest albums of any genre ever recorded. I cannot stress enough how much this entire album and band influenced my life. I'm man enough to admit that when I saw them play Orion live in 2011, tears were in my eyes. This band and their music have shaped me as a human being in ways I can't even articulate. If you've never seen them live (by choice) you have fucked up big time.