DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. Hayabusa

Reading Bahu's bio, is there any "ace" in the history of wrestling who was treated as a bigger butt-monkey by his own promotion, especially after the nuclear physical abuse he absorbed? It really makes me think he should've jumped to NJPW in 1996, which in turn would've given Onita a stronger alibi for breaking his retirement vow... and you know Hayabusa eventually returning as a heel "outsider" against Onita would've been some mega-mass bank for all parties.

Great bio, by the way. 

This isn't answering your actual question, so I apologize. Anyways, this sounds very Debbie Downer, but after reading that, I came away feeling like that with all of the abuse he took, and the addictions and stress endured by his body, he would've been an early casualty of the "business". The paralysis seemed to be a blessing and a curse.

However, I could be wrong. I'll take the heat for it. 

28 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Great bio, by the way. 

This isn't answering your actual question, so I apologize. Anyways, this sounds very Debbie Downer, but after reading that, I came away feeling like that with all of the abuse he took, and the addictions and stress endured by his body, he would've been an early casualty of the "business". The paralysis seemed to be a blessing and a curse.

However, I could be wrong. I'll take the heat for it. 

The paralysis was a curse, bro.  It kept him from doing the one thing he loved most.  Ezaki was a warrior in every sense of the word.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Reading Bahu's bio, is there any "ace" in the history of wrestling who was treated as a bigger butt-monkey by his own promotion, especially after the nuclear physical abuse he absorbed? It really makes me think he should've jumped to NJPW in 1996, which in turn would've given Onita a stronger alibi for breaking his retirement vow... and you know Hayabusa eventually returning as a heel "outsider" against Onita would've been some mega-mass bank for all parties.

You can blame Onita. There's a translation of Arai's book on bahu's site. Basically Onita did everything and anything to put himself over and screw the company and did not care what kind of damage it did to the company. He overcharged, stole and since it was his company originally, no one had the guts to put him in his place. Things were better once they dropped him in 1997/1998, but the company was already really in debt and Arai kept taking on more debt to keep the guys employed.

A lot of this is just the Japanese culture of not questioning or going against people above you.