DVDVR Message Board

So, what do you do...ya know...for money?

Ramsey

• 2 weeks later...

I work overnight shift in an office building in East Syracuse, NY. I more or less do the grunt work to keep things afloat. I answer emails, I crunch numbers and prepare reports, I prepare mailings to go out. Over the last year to a year and a half, they've been slowly adding more and more stuff onto my pile of tasks. It got the point that when I was having my quarterly meeting with the bosses, and went over all I do on a nightly basis with the CEO, he turned to the GM and asked her why *I* was doing so much, and the GM (who was one of the ones piling the tasks on) basically told him "Because of reasons."

I'm a copy editor at a one of the top insurance companies in the country. Sort of a mindless desk job at times but we're a fairly progressive company, excellent benefits, some mildly exciting projects and materials. Easy work load.  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I bend girders.

A clinical psych therapist.  I used to work in forensics, until my supervisor figured that my disposition was better suited for maintaining our referral contract with the local big hospital.  This means that a vast influx of money depends on whether or not I'm nice to a doctor or nursing supervisor.

I will crack under the pressure, one day.

Bartender.

I have a journalism degree. I would really, really like to put it to use. There aren't a lot of jobs or money in the field, but writing is the most natural skill that I have. I did an internship at a newspaper last year and it was enough to let me know that I don't really want to work for one. If I was doing sports or investigative stuff, it'd be different, but I quickly saw that everyone I was working with was pretty much chasing sirens 80% of the time. 

On 4/11/2016 at 3:04 PM, echris1015 said:

I'm a copy editor at a one of the top insurance companies in the country. Sort of a mindless desk job at times but we're a fairly progressive company, excellent benefits, some mildly exciting projects and materials. Easy work load.  

Now, this is something I'd be down for. I like editing a lot. Writing can be absolute torture for me at times, but I can edit til my head falls off.

I'm an attorney working in a small litigation practice. I spend 2-3 days a week in court. More work than I know what to do with. Some law firms are involved in multi-million dollar lawsuits.  Others like my own take on whatever comes in through the door.

A few years ago we represented a certain  wrestling organization in a licensing deal gone wrong. It was royalties from wrestlers on cups or something. It was small, like a $15k dispute that got resolved quickly. You should have seen me foaming at the mouth to the horror of my co-workers.

My official job title is "software quality engineer for embedded systems", translated this means I mainly (80% of my time) do software test automation for Linux software that is supposed to control some hardware stuff. The remaining 20% I do things like software requirements engineering and misc project organization tasks.

19 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Bartender.

I have a journalism degree. I would really, really like to put it to use. There aren't a lot of jobs or money in the field, but writing is the most natural skill that I have. I did an internship at a newspaper last year and it was enough to let me know that I don't really want to work for one. If I was doing sports or investigative stuff, it'd be different, but I quickly saw that everyone I was working with was pretty much chasing sirens 80% of the time. 

Now, this is something I'd be down for. I like editing a lot. Writing can be absolute torture for me at times, but I can edit til my head falls off.

I started in journalism (degree and first job) as well and quickly found out I'm a decent writer, but editing suited me much better. I hated the late nights and the story-chasing. Feature writing was the only thing I didn't dread. 

If you'd want to pursue it, find a temp or permanent position as a proofreader and get some experience doing that (there's ALWAYS temp jobs available if you're in the mid-size city), and you'll easily be qualified for copy editor/content editor positions. I'm still amazed my journalism degree led to something 9-5 with a decent paycheck and great benefits. 

I sell raspberry berets, the kind you find in a second-hand store...

I put together collections of stories by great SF authors in books I want to see on my own shelf and get paid pretty damn well for doing so. Oh yeah, I also scribble a tale or two as can be seen in the "New OSJ Book" thread in the reading forum. I should probably mention that the book looks like it will sell out by year's end, so I just scored another box for my buddies here. $30.00 postpaid for a signed hardcover. PM me if ya want one.

2 hours ago, echris1015 said:

I started in journalism (degree and first job) as well and quickly found out I'm a decent writer, but editing suited me much better. I hated the late nights and the story-chasing. Feature writing was the only thing I didn't dread. 

If you'd want to pursue it, find a temp or permanent position as a proofreader and get some experience doing that (there's ALWAYS temp jobs available if you're in the mid-size city), and you'll easily be qualified for copy editor/content editor positions. I'm still amazed my journalism degree led to something 9-5 with a decent paycheck and great benefits. 

Same here, man. I love writing features, but I know I'm not cut out for the day to day grind of reporting. My "mentor" at the newspaper was basically on-call, worked probably 60 hours a week and still had to live with her parents.

Thanks for the heads up about all that. I'll definitely be looking into it. Bartending money and hours are great, but my knees and feet are in really bad shape, so I gotta find a way out.