DVDVR Message Board

So, what do you do...ya know...for money?

Ramsey

I determine eligibility for public assistance programs for the County of Sacramento. Currently, I am working in Foster Care, but I have worked in all assistance programs, Food Stamps, Medi-Cal, General Assistance. Not my dream job, but I get to help out people in need and that makes me feel good. Plus, I make pretty good money and my health benefits are badass. No complaints from me.

I put words on paper and rearrange them in such a manner as I (and presumably, my editor) will find to be aesthetically pleasing. The more frequently that I engage in this activity the more frequently pieces of paper called "checks" or ("cheques" if you hail from Kanuckistan), show up in my mailbox. I don't mind the activity, the editor(s) don't seem to mind requisitioning the aforementioned (or at least they're a damn sight more cheerful about it than they are about buying lunch, (if I drop by the offices of my publisher(s), this should be considered a visit by one of the straws that stirs the drink and therefore a high-point of what otherwise would have been a routine and boring work week. Instead, the editor gets a pleasant couple of hours of my company and viewpoints on his job performance, which if taken in the constructive spirit that was intended, should go a long way to increasing author satisfaction with the way he/she conducts business. For a senior editor to pull sour faces when I order something from the top shelf is not helpful in reaching any of the company's stated goals in  the slightest. The establishment obviously put their more popular brands up there so as to be easily seen by the clientele. By ordering something that is so conveniently handled, we are simply being courteous to our hosts. Would you prefer to see your mixologist scrabbling about on the floor like a drunken baboon trying to retrieve some hideous off-brand normally served in the alleys behind the finest convenience stores? These impromptu meetings are always such a delight, we should try and make it a weekly thing, don'tcha agree?

Design engineer for a bigass tech company.  Used to do CPU design, but moved on to chips for tablets/phones a few years ago.  I design obscure little pieces of logic that make these things easier to test after they've been manufactured.  It's a pretty good job, especially since I got out of a management role that I never wanted a couple years ago.  Best part is that I qualified for sabbatical about 45 minutes ago, meaning I get 12 weeks paid vacation this year.  I'm essentially taking Q4 off.

• Like 1

I sit at a desk, and wave at people in the hallway. (Work in the Manitoba Legislative Building, and the elevator faces my office/desk, and I end up giving people directions on a regular basis).

I formerly did QA for health care and other custom built web software. Now I'm a database report writer specializing in one particular flavor of highly-complex medical record software. I love the job change (same company, just different role).

I am a salesman. Currently for my local Honda dealer, previously elsewhere. I hate people and human interaction but I fake it well and it's either that or get paid what my actual education is worth and... erm, no.

To be clear, I like individuals just fine, but as a whole, not so much.

Librarian. Currently, to be more specific, I work mostly in Interlibrary Loan. So yeah, you want a copy of the new Pelan-scrawled (or edited) masterpiece and we weren't hip enough to buy it? I'll scour the country to find and secure a copy for your perusal...

• Like 3

I used to wrestle as Thunderfoot #2 but had to retire due to a crippling big toe injury. After that I served as hired muscle for the local mafia before I turned state's evidence. Now I sell and work on watches.

Only one of the above statements is actually true.

I split 40 hours/week between being an AV Tech and Special Events Assistant at a museum.

Then I work a couple nights a week the late security shirt at a library waiting for the custodians to go home so I can lock up the building.

For the last two and a half years I've been a Pest Control technician. Before that for 23 years I was was an Activities Director in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living facilities. Oh, and from 2006- 2013 I was a part time Strip Club DJ.

I'm a maintenance mechanic at an old power plant in Queens. I fix pumps, motors, work on turbines, do rigging, all that fun stuff. Pays really well, full union benefits, however the way environmental regulations and the energy market are heading I'll be surprised if the place is there in 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I deliver produce all over Indiana and Michigan. Usually drive ~1000 miles and work 50-60 hours a week. Decent place to work, great coworkers, although breakdowns in communication are a huge pain in the ass.