DVDVR Message Board

September 2013 Football Thread.

The Natural

Are there any alternatives for Özil aside from Arsenal? Please don't let him go there.

Potentially Milan and PSG. Also, City's on again/off again pursuit of El Sharwaay could be back on again. Not sure what need he fills (and only real need is CB), but his talent is undeniable and I figure that you find a way to make it work (and maybe sell a forward in January).

This actually happened a week ago, but I'm just catching up to it via DVR.

Real bizarre game between Monaco and Toulouse FC in France's Ligue 1. Monaco had received a crowd ban due to the celebration (pitch invasion and flares) that happened when Monaco won promotion from Ligue 2 at the end of last season.

So this game is being played in an empty stadium, and yet was broadcast to France (and the US through BeIN Sport). Feels so much different then what I'm used to, and it's kinda interesting all the chatter that you can hear because there's no one in the stands.

Happy Jim White Jizzfest Day, fellas.

Stoke picks up madman Arnautovic from Bremen as the day's first signing. Jim's toes pop.

Some old dude was born 100 years ago today as well. He's not on Sky, so fuck him.

Are there any alternatives for Özil aside from Arsenal? Please don't let him go there.

Mesut Ozil: Arsenal agree a £42.4m deal with Real Madrid

Arsenal have agreed a £42.4m (50m euros) deal with Real Madrid to sign Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil.

The 24-year-old has agreed personal terms but must undergo a medical before Arsenal can complete what would be a club record signing.

Ozil is on international duty and the medical will take place in Germany.

The Gunners have failed in high-profile attempts to sign Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain, another Real Madrid player, this summer.

But they are close to capturing Ozil after Gareth Bale's world-record £85.3m switch from Tottenham to Real triggered further deals on the final day of the transfer window.

Ozil joined Real from Werder Bremen three years ago for a fee believed to be about £12.4m and has played 155 times for the club.

More to follow.

Credit: bbc.co.uk/sport

Long time since Arsenal have spent money like this.

Guest The Magnificent 7

IIRC, the last time Real Madrid were in financial bother (huge debt) the Madrid council bought their training ground for an obscene sum (almost perfectly matching their debt at the time) and leased it back to the club for dirt cheap.  Real isn't going bankrupt. 

Can't see Arnautovic working out for Stoke.  He is a legend in his own mind and he's in Stoke now for a reason despite his ability. 

Real may not be going bankrupt, but I don't think any level of government in Spain is going to be doing another deal like that for one of the richest football clubs in the world in today's economy, so it makes sense that when they've got an offer of €50M on the table for a player whose replacement they've already brought into the fold they're going to take it.

The problem is, Özil was pretty much a bargain in 2010 and turned out great for Real, albeit his weaker periods make him somewhat expendable. Bale is no doubt a great talent, but he is coming for seven times the amount of money Oezil cost three years ago and expectations will be that he wins Real the triple, when they could easily go without a title despite Bale performing. I guess it´s not the worst step for Mesut.

ReiseReise, yes this could be a good move for Ozil and I know that Real have players to step up and are currently not even using a formation that makes the most of Ozil and his abilities and potential at the moment. I am just sad because he's been great in the club these past three seasons. We have Isco and he is working out great in the current formation and I'm sure Bale will workout great as well. I hope we hold onto DiMaria at least. Also, haven't watched all of this, but during the Bale presentation the crowd began chanting that "Ozil was not for sale" and Florentino Perez shushed them. Yikes! HALA MADRID!

Ozil deal is done. Should be a very good signing, assuming he doesn't come down with Arsenal Midfielder Syndrome aka PermaCrock.

Herrera deal apparently alive, then dead, then alive, then beheaded with a flaming axe.

Fellaini deal may be on.

Mata to PSG may be on (god only knows why Chelsea would do that, but hey)

Lukaku apparently wants to go back to West Brom but Chelsea steering him to go to Everton instead

Sunderland signed Borini (Liverpool) and Dossena (ex-Liverpool, now Napoli) on loan, sold Sessegnon to West Brom for some reason.

This sounds like the next Ocean's Movie: From the BBC Deadline day ticker:

FRAUD?

Spanish football writer Andy West: "Some bizarre reports coming out regarding United's collapsed Herrera deal. Apparently a group of men claiming to be United representatives spent an hour at the La Liga offices in Madrid today, but it turns out they had nothing to do with the club and were presumably just attempting to get a cut of the deal in an elaborate fraud.

"Must be stressed these are just rumours but the Spanish media have published pictures of men in black suits - supposedly the United "representatives" - coming out of the league offices carrying briefcases.

"All very strange and no doubt the truth will come out in the next few days.