DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] RD1B: SETH ROLLINS vs. EMMA

MM16: 1st RDB - SETH ROLLINS vs. EMMA  

131 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

The Jericho hate is way worse. Somehow a guy living out his dreams is a "midlife crisis". We should all be so fucking lucky to have that happen to us.

Well the problem is that Jericho really should have adapted his style and not be still trying to wrestle folks like he did 20 years ago.

It sort of also proves my degree of difficulty point.  She was paired up with one of the most entertaining people on the main roster and it bombed. 

I will fight you over the idea that Santino was one of the most entertaining people on the roster

• Like 1

I'm giving this some thought. Emma has fairly easy job right now in making the next wave of babyfaces look good. It's a bit more complicated when they're greener than turtle shit like Carmella. Emma's turned into a really solid hand and her heel turn and persona were good stuff. I've argued she's underused in the NXT thread.

I actually really enjoyed a lot of Seth's heel character work. His promos were okay for having to go 20 minutes every Monday and he did some great physical acting as the chickenshit. My main gripe, and I've said it numerous times now so I guess if people are saying it has no merit then repating it again isn't going to do much, is that he generally doesn't wrestle his gimmick. The key matches in which did against Ambrose were outside the voting period.

I'm going to watch the Neville match before voting. Are there any other TV matches of his I should watch?

And Santino was awful.

She has improved a bunch  Like, the gap between where she was when she got the first call up and where she is now is huge.  

It sort of also proves my degree of difficulty point.  She was paired up with one of the most entertaining people on the main roster and it bombed.  Hard. It's not all that easy on the main roster.  Seth was put in a role he was not comfortable in, in a situation that was legit can't win from a booking perspective and he was still a heat magnet.  He and Cena carried the main show for a better part of the year.  He was the best part of WM and legit saved the damn show.  Like, for how awful the booking was with his title reign, I'm having a hard time imagining how they would have managed without him.

Also, J AND J SECURITY.

He carried a show that was awful and tanked in the ratings, though. And his segments were often the worst ones on the show. Now, a lot of it wasn't his fault but he's certainly not a guy who can overcome bad material.

The Rollins hate is bad. That said, he was bad in his role, and overcompensated with the shitty SuperIndy style.

The hate isn't for Rollins as a wrestler in general but of his year. That's not bad at all. It's what we are voting on here.

I actually really enjoyed a lot of Seth's heel character work. His promos were okay for having to go 20 minutes every Monday and he did some great physical acting as the chickenshit. My main gripe, and I've said it numerous times now so I guess if people are saying it has no merit then repating it again isn't going to do much, is that he generally doesn't wrestle his gimmick. The key matches in which did against Ambrose were outside the voting period.

Agreed. The issue with Rollins is his gimmick does not fit his wrestling style. 

The degree of difficulty argument is interesting. What's harder? Almost getting yourself released, getting demoted and rebuilding yourself from the ground up into a entertaining fully-realized heel persona or being thrust into a main event position that you were not prepared/ready for and unspectacularly holding your own. Both are incredibly difficult. However, I think Emmas reinvention is harder. Rollins has been given more opportunities to fail and fall on his face than anyone this side of Roman Reigns.  

Degree of difficulty apparently means nothing around here.  Sure, Rollins is bad at the HHH style heel promo.  He is miscast as a corporate heel.  He is has been hurt by the booking.

Could you imagine what would happen if they give Emma a mic and told her to go out there for 15 minutes?  

I'd probably find Emma talking shit for fifteen minutes pretty fun. Would she get to bring Dana Brooke with her?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be able to countenance Rollins more when he's flinging himself off of tall objects as a never-say-die babyface later this year, but much of the degree of difficulty is because Rollins sucks at the things he's being asked to do along with the fact that they're not great positions to be in in the first place. 

I'm not a Rollins hater at all, but EMMA was clearly better this year.

I am amused by Craig's idea that Emma is the one that got the benefit of the Emma/Dana pairing. If anything, Dana's improvement should be considered a mark in Emma's favor, because she was mostly awful before they were paired together, and it's probably not a coincidence that she started developing into an entertaining act from that point onward.

I'll look at from a different perspective (don't want to say what's already been said many times)  With that, let's look at their taste in the opposite sex:

-Emma is dating Zack, who has been annoying in the past but is trying to make this team with Mojo work, bless his heart.

-Seth dated/is dating whatshername (forgot, but it started with a Z), who not only collected Nazi memorabilia but said all kinds of crazy shit online that led to her release.  That, and there was that whole dick pic fiasco.

Emma wins in a walk.  Love me some Evil Emma.

Hold up. How am I hating on Jericho by advocating that Pentagon Jr. was leaps and bounds better than him? The hate I spewed was on the Usos. I have long said that Jericho gets unfairly bashed for his body type and many of us would kill for that body, and he's not that bad.

He and Cena carried the main show for a better part of the year.  He was the best part of WM and legit saved the damn show.

No wonder it was such a shitty year in WWE. Also there's no way in hell Rollins was WM MVP over Brock and Roman. His match with Orton was his usual paint by numbers spot fest until the cool finish.

Hold up. How am I hating on Jericho by advocating that Pentagon Jr. was leaps and bounds better than him? The hate I spewed was on the Usos. I have long said that Jericho gets unfairly bashed for his body type and many of us would kill for that body, and he's not that bad.

I knew it was one of the WWE acts - I think my brain said Jericho because of everyone bag on him

I don't hate Seth but the fact that he was forced to play cry baby lacky of the Authority (my least favorite of all wrestling memes) makes this one easy for me. Emma is killing it as heel gate keeper to the NXT women's title. As her in as a combo act with Dana as the screaming mouthpiece and you have a great act.

I kind of thought Rollins would win here, mainly due to having a wider selection of available matches and a lot of them being quite good. Emma/Asuka was one of my top 5 favorite matches of last year so I'm glad to see Emma doing well.

Emma wears tiny finger gloves. TINY FINER GLOVES!

Also, no match Emma has been involved with in the voting period is better than Neville/Rollins, Sting/Rollins, Brock/Rollins, or, hell, even the long ladder match with Ambrose.

Emma is fine. But she is not, and has not been, a better pro wrestler than Seth Rollins, especially not this year.

But, sure, let's move Emma on so she can lose in the next round.