DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1B: ASUKA vs. KUSHIDA

MM16: 1st RDB - ASUKA vs. KUSHIDA  

96 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

KUSHIDA is a guy that finally started to show the promise we knew he had. But ASUKA/KANA?

There is no one that has generated so much raw charisma in a WWE owned ring since Jake Roberts. The ASUKA smile is totally a thing and is one of those little mannerisms that can turn 1 match into feud just like that!

James

Man. Every year KUSHIDA has like one or two great matches and you're like THAT'S RIGHT. THAT'S MY BOY. And then New Japan books him in a best of seven series vs. Kenny Omega and he circle jerks in undercard tags and you stop caring about him until he has his great match next year. Kana/Asuka is number one and the best.

Man, I love KUSHIDA when he's not drug down by Shelly, but GOTNW is right, he gets a bit of a run, then circles the drain for 8 months, then gets a good run from BOSJ to WK and you remember why he's awesome.

Asuka got massivly over in WWE without cutting a 10 minute promo or having a catchphrase.  Whoever said that she just OWNS the ring when she gets in there is right.

Asuka was a star the first time she showed that creepy smile in NXT. She's had good matches but she hasn't gotten the chance to have a truly great high end main event in NXT yet but the time is coming.

Kana/Asuka is fantastic. Love her act to bits. But Kushida's high end stuff was on another level and I wasn't super impressed with the 3 or 4 Kana matches I saw this year. 

Asuka was a star the first time she showed that creepy smile in NXT. She's had good matches but she hasn't gotten the chance to have a truly great high end main event in NXT yet but the time is coming.

I agree with almost everything people are saying about Kushida, but this is my general feeling.  Asuka seems like she is in the on deck circle and not the batters box.  Kushida was in the batters box and did pretty well.  I think Kushida's problems are less his fault and more problems with the way Jr. wrestling is treated in modern day New Japan. 

• Like 2

I like the idea of KUSHIDA more than the reality of him.  Feel like last year he was badly exposed as a guy who when left to his own devices will do the same old dumbass shit that makes me heavy sigh at a lot of modern wrestling.  Asuka has great presence, and even though no great matches in the voting period, she comes across as a massive star. 

The funny part is, as good as her ringwork is, it's not really what's gotten her over in NXT. Her best opponent in a televised match has been Emma. Who is 2nd? Dana? Deonna? Cameron?

It's been the other things, from her debut where you saw what looked like her meekly walking off only to debut that creepy Asuka smile, patting Dana on the head after giving her brain damage, kicking Deonna's head off as an afterthought, scaring Eva Marie and Nia off with just a look. All while barely speaking a word of English. It's incredible how much pure charisma she's got and shown, (and lets give NXT credit for booking her really well.)

• Like 1