DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1B: JOHN CENA vs. LA SOMBRA

MM16: 1st RDB - JOHN CENA vs. LA SOMBRA  

109 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

This amuses me, because if you did this last year, it should've been close.

But Sombra is fucking awesome, and has always been.  Cena loses a ton from doing the SuperIndy gimmick and pushing up a match style that's fucking awful.

I love this new movement where everyone suddenly hates the US Open Challenge and Cena in them considering everyone loved them when they were going on.

Well except Raziel - he always hates everything

• Like 5

I love this new movement where everyone suddenly hates the US Open Challenge and Cena in them considering everyone loved them when they were going on.

Well except Raziel - he always hates everything

I think the change in perspective has a lot to due with the fact that Super Indy Cena was ultimately used to put over Rollins and fucking Alberto - and the latter in a shitty, short match. I think if it had led to someone fresh (and fucking Alberto does not qualify as fresh, even if he had been gone for a while) definitively besting him at that style, it would be looked back on a little kinder.

Honestly, I enjoyed indie-movez Cena for about three months because it was novel, but then it broke into repetitive video game garbage territory for me, and La Sombra is solid, though I haven't seen any fancams of his Manny Andrade stuff yet. 

I definitely had a change of heart. I loved the first Owens match when I saw it as it happened and then found it mediocre on re-watch. I think what happened is that, in the moment, Cena was fresh in his new role and having matchups that I might have typically considered dream matches of a sort (v. Zayn, v. Owens, v. Cesaro), but when I watched most of it again as I put together my final updated WWE Best Matches list for 2015, I really didn't enjoy it out of that immediate context where it seemed so exciting and fresh. 

Also, the way that the challenge ended really hurt some of the previous work on re-watch, which I am aware isn't fair to Cena, but getting stomped out in eight minutes by a returning-and-still-heatless Alberto del Rio was quite the anticlimax for me. 

The US Open challenge started to bump into diminishing returns. The three match series with Owens poisoned the well and made it seem not just disappointing but ultimately damaging to the wrestling formula of John Cena, which had been entertaining, steady, and successful for years.

A little bit was impressive, self-aware, refreshing, and admirable. He went far enough over the line to invalidate the entire experiment.

Sombra on the other hand had a wonderful year as a dickish heel. I give Cena points for ambition but see that ambition as tainted by a self-consciousness that blinded him to what he was sacrificing to convince a younger crowd that he could hang and that he could wrestle by their small-minded standards.

• Like 2

The US Open Challenge got the point where you would expect Heath Slater to kick out of an AA, and push Cena to the limit.

I'm pretty sure he beat the likes of Ryder, Kane and Stardust with just one. Your point about excess still stands but it's clearly hyperbole.

The US Open challenge started to bump into diminishing returns. The three match series with Owens poisoned the well and made it seem not just disappointing but ultimately damaging to the wrestling formula of John Cena, which had been entertaining, steady, and successful for years.

A little bit was impressive, self-aware, refreshing, and admirable. He went far enough over the line to invalidate the entire experiment.

Sombra on the other hand had a wonderful year as a dickish heel. I give Cena points for ambition but see that ambition as tainted by a self-consciousness that blinded him to what he was sacrificing to convince a younger crowd that he could hang and that he could wrestle by their small-minded standards.

I was liking your post until that. Come on, man. 

I was liking your post until that. Come on, man.
I let the spirit move me. Sorry.

He was pandering to the Movez audience when he should know better based on his years of success. It give him a level of acceptance he never needed in the first place but at the cost of distrusting some of the more primal elements of his act.

The best part in all this is that I am 99% certain I am voting for Sombra

But I would have voted Cena over approximately 80% of this tournament

I let the spirit move me. Sorry.

He was pandering to the Movez audience when he should know better based on his years of success. It give him a level of acceptance he never needed in the first place but at the cost of distrusting some of the more primal elements of his act.

I agree. The new routine was neat the first two or three times I saw it but it got old really quickly.

Why do you think he felt he needed to bust his ass in these indy epix, though? He seems really secure in who and where he is (how could he not?), but his promos over the years when facing the younger indy darlings have always referred to him being the standard and the king of WWE. It's interesting that he's trying to beat these guys at their own game in theory, less so in praxis. 

Match quality aside, the Cena Open Challenge was probably the best thing WWE has done all year.  Wins and losses actually mattered, a mid-card title was important for the first time in like 10 years and the suspense of who will come out next was really cool.

• Like 2