DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Not only has he been around long, he has been at an astonishing level for most of that time period aswell. Barcelona seemed to have lost steam, but simply buying amazing players sure has helped them getting back on track. Who else would get a strikeforce like that? Two years from now, the answer might be "that random 5th place team from the Chinese league", but as of now only Barca seems capable of doing that.

Great win for Liverpool mid week, but personally I'd have rather they won the Capital One cup instead. Klopp needs a big clear out in the summer and I'd start first of all with the defense. Jon Flanagan is probably the best guy they've got at the back. Giving Mignolet a big contract seems in hindsight to be a mistake, he made some good saves at the Cup final but the goal he let in he should have easily kept out. Somebody like Manuel Neuer would be great for Liverpool but I don't think he'll leave Bayern. Up front, might be a surprise for some fans but if a big offer came in for Sturridge I'd sell him. Mainly because he's injury prone and with the money they could generate from his sale they could sign a top international striker. I think they should have pulled all the stops out to keep Luis Suarez since I think with someone like Jurgen Klopp in charge he could have built a superb team around Luis & be challenging for the top 4, even the title again. Right now, Liverpool are treading water & there are glimpses of potential greatness, like the great performance against City, but they have to be consistent. They are kinda reminiscent of Kevin Keegan's Newcastle in his first reign with the Toon, great going forward, but can't defend for toffee.  

As for the Premiership title this season, outside of Liverpool, I'd actually like to see Leicester City win as it would break up the monotony of one of the big four winning it (Arsenal, City, Man U & Chelsea). Next season will be fun with Jose potentially at Man United and Pep definitely at Man City so they can re-live that rivalry again. Hopefully they'll give Klopp a lot of money to spend wisely in the summer and bring in some of his old friends from Dortmund like Mat Hummels, Ilkay Gundogan,  Marco Reus & if he wasn't with Bayern Robert Lewandowski. One of the guys I see definitely leaving is Christian Benteke. Balotelli is currently on loan with Milan so it makes you wonder whether he'll flourish under Jurgen Klopp or if they'll ship him out in the Summer to AC on a permanent deal too. 

Wouldn't it be frustrating if, after their terribly amusing start to the season, Chelsea's rally ends up getting them back into the top 6 and Europa qualification? Unless they finish above Man U, obvs.

I was worried longer than most about them surging back up the standings but even I thought they'd have a midtable finish about a month ago.

And Charro, I would worry more about how we spend than how much. Profits were up big time during the last year and they're going to back Klopp. Then there's money from the 4-6 (at least) first team players that likely get the boot in the summer. Getting a fairly mobile, lengthy centre-back for free is a good first showing though. Oh, and the rumour isn't for a Dortmund player but an ex-Dortmund player: Goetze.cx

I doubt they get Neuer at Liverpool but I think there are like 5 or 6 goalkeepers starting in the Bundesliga that are probably an upgrade on Mignolet.

The guy at Liverpool that has caught my eye a lot since Klopp came in is Roberto Firmino. Maybe I just grossly underrated him before, but he's a fun one.

Why are we even talking about Neuer. I'd be delighted if Ter Stegen decided he wanted to play every game and made himself available but that's almost as big of a pipe dream as Neuer. In all truth, it's not hard to find an upgrade to a guy that gives up a bad goal almost every game, can't kick the ball, and has poor control of his area. He's a fine shot stopper (usually) but I was not a happy camper when he signed a new deal recently. 

Firmino was money at Hoffenheim and commanded that huge transfer fee for a reason. He didn't have a great start to the season because he was at the Copa America and had an injury. it was also pretty clear that he didn't fit into whatever the hell Brendan Rodgers was going for before he was released. While he still has a game here and there where he's largely ineffectual, he at least does a good job of cutting off passing lanes of the opposition back 4. 

Also wouldn't be shocked if one or both of Studge and/or Coutinho are/is sold in the summer after requesting a transfer (or doing everything but so they can get that sweet, ironic loyalty fee). It will also be interesting to see how Tottenham and Leicester (to a lesser extent) fare with the big boys likely to target some of their players.

Well, if the table finishes the way it looks like it's going to, why would you leave a team that's in the Champion's League, to join a team that isn't? Yeah, money, I know, but the TV deal is supposed to have killed the Big 4's ability to outspend to success. The whole 'I wanted to play in the Champion's League' is an excuse, not a motivation. But Spurs' and Leicester's players would stick for next year at least, like Suarez stuck at Liverpool a year instead of leaving for Arsenal, so he could make more money at Barca.

Did anyone catch that Stillitano guy talking about the idea of guaranteed CL spots for clubs like ManU? And some - apparently this time for realsies - talk about a European Club League with all the traditional football powers facing of with bazillions of dollars involved?

I really hope they do that, and I also hope football fans around the world take a huge dump on that money grabber of an idea. I know I'm living in the past, but the champions-only European Cup is still my absolute favourite. The whole concept of the CL as it is seems to rely on keeping the status quo, with up to four starters, three at least guaranteed to play in CL from the four big leagues (Spain, Germany, England, Italy). The idea seems to go all out as "corporate football", with the final step of transforming a sports competition to a sort of sports business index. The new CL or Superleague or whatever will basically be more of a Dow-Jones-index or DAX. What a load of bs.

• Like 1

At this point, Leicester capitalising would almost be the bigger surprise.

Bundesliga is very quick at getting out of the gates today. Goals in every match within the first 20 minutes. Everyone is anticipating the "main event", though.

EDIT: 27 goals in six matches mark an eventful matchday 25 so far. Werder and Stuttgart with big wins, Leverkusen coming back from three goal deficit at Augsburg to draw by last minute PK. Wolfsburg beating Gladbach 2-1 to keep things close between 3rd and 8th.

Dortmund v Bayern ended in a goalless draw. This also means Bayern stays 5 ahead in the table. Match was quite fast paced in the first third. Later on, Bayern took more control with Dortmund using occasional counter attacks. In the finishing stretch, both teams seemed pretty content with the draw.

As soon as I start talking about Leicester not being able to take advantage of the results, they go ahead and do just that.

• Like 1

That fucking sucked. Grella tries to dribble around 3 people, gives Pernelli the ball and he fires a shot into the back of 101. That was the play that summed up the game for us. Oh well, medals are awarded in November not March in MLS, 37 more to go.

Guest Edwin

I went to the OC vs. RSL match yesterday at the Citrus Bowl and what an amazing experience that was. 60,147 fans in attendance, about 300 less than last seasons opener against NYCFC, but it was still considered a success.

OC played horribly. The coach tested out a 4-3-3 and moved a ton of players around. Kaká didn't play due to an injury suffered the day before in training. Nocerino was presented and he got a huge ovation.

For some reason OC played like a bad FIFA player who spams lobs and crosses into the box hoping for a header. They really showed they rely way to much on Kaká as a playmaker.

Anyway, I was heading out at the 89th minute since OC was down 2-0 to RSL... When I start walking down the steps and heading out I hear the crowd erupt and everyones going bonkers because Larin had scored at the 94th minute of extra time finally after blowing about 7-8 chances during the game. My girlfriend tells me we should stay and I say nah as that was just one goal. So we just stopped to watch the last play on the concession stand TV on the wall and all of sudden the crowd erupted again and seconds later on the TV delay they show Winter who came in as a second time substitution had scored another goal at the very last minute of extra time and that was insane. I mean goosebumps insane. I ran back to the guardrail just to celebrate. Amazing experience despite the poor performance.

I love this club no matter how bad they play sometimes.