DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MARCH 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It's amazing how quickly things can turn on a dime on "Bates Motel ". I went from laughing at the "turkey pot pie" line to being completely terrified of Norman within the same scene.

Bates Motel  maddens me as sometimes it feels like the worst television ever made, but then it does something great and I just cannot. Stop. Watching.

VINYL is so bad. Tonight, they did the ol' "character spends the whole time conversing with someone whom we later learn isn't real" episode. And it was SO obvious the guy wasn't real, yet the show acted like it was supposed to be some big surprise in the end.

That's embarrassing in itself, but this being VINYL, it had to top your average bad show by having what could only be described as the Ghost of Buddy Holly appear from the fucking ether and play a mournful tune (the guy had died years earlier in a car crash, you see!) to end the episode.

My sister is in the process of moving, she lent me her Apple TV/Shomi account and I've started watching 'Party Down' and love it SO MUCH.

I just finished the first season and, man, I think 'Party Down' did the will-they-or-won't-they couple better than comedy I've seen.  Also going to miss Jane Lynch who I'm often ambivalent about but was really perfect on this show.

My sister is in the process of moving, she lent me her Apple TV/Shomi account and I've started watching 'Party Down' and love it SO MUCH.

Pro tip: Don't get attached to it. 

VINYL is so bad. Tonight, they did the ol' "character spends the whole time conversing with someone whom we later learn isn't real" episode. And it was SO obvious the guy wasn't real, yet the show acted like it was supposed to be some big surprise in the end.

That's embarrassing in itself, but this being VINYL, it had to top your average bad show by having what could only be described as the Ghost of Buddy Holly appear from the fucking ether and play a mournful tune (the guy had died years earlier in a car crash, you see!) to end the episode.

Yikes, this show is getting into John from Cincinnati bad.

Togetherness continues to kill it.

The end of each episode rips my heart out more and more. Last night I felt like screaming, "BRET! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I'll say this, there are times while watching last season and this that it felt very, very, very much like what I went through a few years ago. So when I'm watching this, all I can think is, "there's no way they make it, there's just no way." 

• Like 1

Also, I'm really enjoying 11/22/63 on hulu. Takes some pretty radical departures from the Stephen King novel, but is very entertaining on its own. Josh Duhamel is really good in some early episodes.

I thought the book was awful but decided to watch the show anyways.  Surprisingly, they took out all of the saccharine crap that weighted the book down and actually capitalized on some of the more interesting aspects.

See, I really enjoyed all that detail. I understand it's not for everyone, but I couldn't get enough of it. I'll go back and read that passage about the root beer the first time he went back and talked about how great it was from time to time.

HBO: The kings of pointing out in hindsight: "Well, wasn't this controversial?!"

But doing the movie too late for anything to ever be done about it.  

Because systemic racism and sexism are things of the past. Hooray 2016!

• Like 1

I've been watching a lot of stuff on Viceland over the past week or so. I'm watching the Vice Essentials episode on bare knuckle boxing right now and am pretty engrossed by it. Anyone else been watching this channel? I like Gaycation a lot as well. The episode on Brazil was really heartbreaking in parts.

The Viceland stuff is the stuff I've seen on Youtube.  To a video, they're all exceptional.  

I haven't seen the second episode of Gaycation and I'm kind of afraid to.  Brazil can be a place of very high highs and extremely low lows.  

Ugh.  

I have a subscription to Viceland's YouTube channel.   

The documentary on Aokigahara (aka the "Suicide Forest" for you gaijin out there) is fascinating and heartbreaking.

I watched the two New Girl episodes I've missed in recent weeks. I was beyond happy to get Peter Gallagher in an episode, and it looks like he could be a recurring character. The world can always use a little more Sandy Cohen!

The thing I've came away with from Viceland (aside from the prevalence of weed) is that almost everything they show has the potential to make the room really dusty. Even Noisey pretty much just talks about how communities are being destroyed by violence committed by gangs and the biggest gang of all, the police. There's some stuff on every show besides Balls Deep and Fuck, That's Delicious that can just be soul-crushing. So, it's not too far from the HBO series...

I really liked the first season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine watching from the start. I'm going through the motions watching this third season. After last week's episode I checked how far in we were thinking near the end. I was wrong, only halfway through. Thinking I'm dropping it.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:45 AM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've been watching a lot of stuff on Viceland over the past week or so. I'm watching the Vice Essentials episode on bare knuckle boxing right now and am pretty engrossed by it. Anyone else been watching this channel? I like Gaycation a lot as well. The episode on Brazil was really heartbreaking in parts.

I like the channel, but they need a lot more content (been rerunning the same episodes over and over) and it's annoying to have the same 2 or 3 promos play every commercial break.

I really like Fuck, That's Delicious.  I like food shows that don't get hoity-toity abut the presentation.  The host seems like a good dude to have a few beers (or blunts) with and eat some good chow.

Weedhouse has been interesting, especially the episode about medical marijuana.  My stepson is going through cancer treatment and dealing with the hoops and cost to even get a MMJ card is ridiculous, but doctors will literally send him home with handfuls of oxys.

The only show I don't like on there is Flophouse, but that may be more due that I am generally not a fan of hipster/alternative comedy.

• Like 1

I hang around and have lived in places like the Flophouse spots (spot? do they go to different places?) so it feels familiar. Haven't seen but one ep yet though. 

There was a really freaky Vice Essentials multi-segment episode that had a guy who wants to be a cyborg and has some kind of electronic device that can hook up to a computer cordlessly implanted in his arm. It's fucking out-there. 

Oh, and dunno if I've mentioned it yet, but they show movies on Saturday and I caught Fitzcarraldo and its documentary the other week, so that was cool. Then they played Velvet Goldmine... typical.

What's wrong with Velvet Goldmine (other than the fact that Christian Bale is a surprisingly unattractive glam kid)?

Fitzcarraldo is so damn good though. The Herzog/Kinski movies are probably my favourite collaboration ever.

It was an art film about David Bowie without any Bowie songs? Haynes fixed his mistake by getting clearance from Dylan before starting I'm Not There, which is an infinitely more weird and inflammatory examination than Goldmine. So of course Dylan actually enjoyed it. Bale's, "That's me!" in Goldmine is a wonderful individual moment though. 

2 hours ago, elizium said:

The Herzog/Kinski movies are probably my favourite collaboration ever.

I'm trying to think of any others that are better, and not many come to mind.  Kurosawa/Mifune and Scorsese/DeNiro are the only ones I think might top it.  Bergman/Sydow, Ford/Wayne, Welles/himself, and maybe Woo/Yun-fat or Hitchcock/Stewart come close.