DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MARCH 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Okay, so I was wrong. The People v. OJ is now AWESOME because Courtney B. Vance is fucking destroying this.  He's been so good these last couple episodes and they've pretty much completely cut out all the Kardashian bullshit, etc..  

It's a really weird show because there's still some crap in it but the performances are so good. I'm conflicted.

The scene where he took Darden to task for wanting the n-word to not be uttered in the court room was fantastic. It came across like The Rock verbally eviscerating Billy Gunn. I almost expected to hear Cochran say, "Oh dear God. You see my name is Chris. I just got named to the OJ Simpson prosecution team..."

Here's the thing: Chris Tucker was never that funny in the first place. He's not too hard to replace.

This is blasphemy.

IMO, Tucker lacks the ability to be subtle, which all good comedians need. He's simply too loud and annoying.  He can be reflective sometimes, but not nearly enough. 

I mean, he was kind of funny in the first Rush Hour film, partly because Chan could help coax out the humanity. Yes, Carter is obnoxious and crazy but there is a decent, nice person under there.  However, by the second and third movies, Chan wasn't trying to do that anymore, so the films were a disaster. 

Honestly, after a simple five minute trailer, I'm finding Justin Hires a lot more likable and less grating in the role.  

Okay, so I was wrong. The People v. OJ is now AWESOME because Courtney B. Vance is fucking destroying this. He's been so good these last couple episodes and they've pretty much completely cut out all the Kardashian bullshit, etc..

It's a really weird show because there's still some crap in it but the performances are so good. I'm conflicted.

I think it's great. As you said the performances are so so good but there is some silly stuff littered throughout.

Its kinda like Smackdown 2002-2003, the Smackdown Six (Vance,Paulsen,Brown etc.) are knocking it out the park but you still have to put up with ridiculousness of the Al Wilson stuff which in this case is Schwimmer,The Kardashian stuff and fucking John Travolta.

• Like 1

Upon finishing the first season of Black Mirror: good god almighty, has there ever been any show which had such a VAST dropoff in quality from the pilot to the subsequent episodes? The first episode (yeah, the one about the pig) was some of the most brilliant, fearless, transgressive television I've ever seen. It took the most absurd situation imaginable, and made it completely realistic and let us utterly empathize with everyone involved. It was a masterpiece of storytelling, period. But what the FUCK happened with episodes 2 and 3?! Generic future-dystopian bullshit about the very worst kind of people, either the world's weakest and most passive victims or its loudest and most obnoxious assholes; and, spoiler, the assholes win. What a bunch of horrifically disappointing navel-gazing nonsense, it's like the dynamite first episode isn't even from the same show as the other two. Should I even bother watching the second season, or is it just more of the same?

I loved the second and third episodes, so we might just have different taste, but I would say season 2 episode 2 is the best of the series, season 2 episode 3 is the worst, and season 2 episode one is meh.

I thought White Bear in the second season  was an incredibly smart idea. And it raised more moral issues than even the pig episode did.

I'm surprised Hollywood haven't tried to turn into a big budget film yet. 

What has happened to John Travolta though?

Besides the worst cosmetic surgeon ever, of course. 

He got hit hard in his divorce from Kelly Preston so he's been channeling Nicolas Cage and doing every script that comes across his desk.

You know, I wonder how much Scientology has had to do with his multiple comebacks. Not that he isn't talented, but he's not young enough to make action pictures any more, and not really good enough to be a character actor. I haven't seen his 1970's stuff, but I've never thought of him as a great actor. . . .

His rookie run from Carrie to Blow Out was mostly good stuff too. Let's not oversell the shittiness of the guy's career to the point of ignoring the legit body of quality work that he's accomplished, Travolta's been in far too many damn good movies to just dismiss as some talentless hack.

It started with Pulp Fiction. Look Who's Talking was a blip.

Look Who's Talking was a franchise for him and was the first time people started talking about his comeback. Pulp Fiction made the comeback official!

James

"American Crime" wrapped up Wednesday.

That's actually a poor choice of words since nothing got "wrapped up" - no resolution to the main story at all. I'm not a big fan of ambiguous endings. It often is a copout used when actually resolving a story is too hard. I think, to some degree, that's what happened here. No good way to end the story so just...don't.

I also didn't like that the show never once mentioned self-defense for Taylor in the shooting. He was LEAVING when Wes grabbed him and threatened to kill him. He had every reason to believe that threat was credible, thus self-defense.

Great show and I'm sad the season is over already. Can't wait for season 3!

Read somewhere that Halt and Catch Fire season 2 is on US Netflix now for those interested.

Edit: And apologies if stuff like this doesn't belong in this thread.

Season 3 is supposed to start fairly soon, I think.

"American Crime" wrapped up Wednesday.

That's actually a poor choice of words since nothing got "wrapped up" - no resolution to the main story at all. I'm not a big fan of ambiguous endings. It often is a copout used when actually resolving a story is too hard. I think, to some degree, that's what happened here. No good way to end the story so just...don't.

I also didn't like that the show never once mentioned self-defense for Taylor in the shooting. He was LEAVING when Wes grabbed him and threatened to kill him. He had every reason to believe that threat was credible, thus self-defense.

Great show and I'm sad the season is over already. Can't wait for season 3!

I was a little underwhelmed by this season; it didn't hit the emotional extremes of season 1. It was still a show that I looked forward to every week, though.