DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MARCH 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

If you are going to start screaming about OJ again - please make a separate thread so I can close it easier next time.

HE DIDN'T DO IT, GODDAMMIT!

(We were discussing everything but OJ, RIPPA.)

I watched the first episode of Love on Netflix. This is Judd Apatow's new show. I generally like Apatow and Apatow-related movies. And Freaks and Geeks is obviously an eternal treasure.

The first episode of Love, though, gets a slight thumbs down. It was really cool that they avoided the "meet cute" in the first episode and instead focused on the main characters' immediate past before the inevitable coupling.

But I am really not into the characters. The main guy is a guy so nice his ex thinks he is being phony, but he really is that nice. The female lead is a drug-addled wild child who also has a professional career. They're fairly uninteresting to start, but I assume they'll grow after they meet in episode two (I started that before me signal conked out). That's a fine enough career arc but I don't really want to spend time with these people as a fly-on-the-wall right now. I'll still give it a chance.

There are obviously a few million rom-coms about mismatched pairings to compare this to. The most current one is You're The Worst. That show was really great from the first scene and quickly became one of my favorite shows of the past few years. They got to the meet cute immediately and established who these characters were -- two horrible people who just wanted a physical thing that inevitably became more than what they asked for but remain terrible people, but I want to watch their trainwreck lives.

dogwelder and I were talking the other day about the fact that networks have moved away from "a rerun every 3 to 4 weeks" in favor of putting all the repeats in a few multi week blocs. Anyone remember when this happened or whether there was a specific "moment" as opposed to slow shift?

I watched the first episode of Love on Netflix. This is Judd Apatow's new show. I generally like Apatow and Apatow-related movies. And Freaks and Geeks is obviously an eternal treasure.

The first episode of Love, though, gets a slight thumbs down. It was really cool that they avoided the "meet cute" in the first episode and instead focused on the main characters' immediate past before the inevitable coupling.

But I am really not into the characters. The main guy is a guy so nice his ex thinks he is being phony, but he really is that nice. The female lead is a drug-addled wild child who also has a professional career. They're fairly uninteresting to start, but I assume they'll grow after they meet in episode two (I started that before me signal conked out). That's a fine enough career arc but I don't really want to spend time with these people as a fly-on-the-wall right now. I'll still give it a chance.

There are obviously a few million rom-coms about mismatched pairings to compare this to. The most current one is You're The Worst. That show was really great from the first scene and quickly became one of my favorite shows of the past few years. They got to the meet cute immediately and established who these characters were -- two horrible people who just wanted a physical thing that inevitably became more than what they asked for but remain terrible people, but I want to watch their trainwreck lives.

I watched the whole thing this past weekend and liked it more than I would normally like something in this genre.  The male lead has a habit of going from decent guy to Woody Allen-esque insufferable neurotic in the blink of an eye, but the female lead remains a pretty toxic person throughout.  It's still a decent enough show with some good laughs.

I must be the only one here watching Togetherness, but I'll keep pimping it like crazy. Three huge, gigantic moments this week. For any other show, this is the season finale, but for this, it's episode 2 of the second season. Super gripping stuff.

This Is Not Happening on Comedy Central is the best. Jim Breuer just told a story about calling in a Qaddafi bomb threat to the Sears paint department he worked in back in the day and I lost it. Last week Henry Rollins was talking about taking acid... let that set in for a second. 

• Like 1

There will be a Big Hero 6 TV series on Disney XD next year

In production now, the Big Hero 6 series will pick up where the film left off as Hiro is enrolled at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology where he will go up against daunting academic challenges and the social trials of being the little man on campus. Off campus, the stakes are raised for the high-tech heroes as they must protect their city from an array of scientifically enhanced villains.

Hiro isn’t the only one returning, as Wasabi, Honey Lemon, Fred, Go Go, and Baymax will all be making their way to the animated series as well.

dogwelder and I were talking the other day about the fact that networks have moved away from "a rerun every 3 to 4 weeks" in favor of putting all the repeats in a few multi week blocs. Anyone remember when this happened or whether there was a specific "moment" as opposed to slow shift?

Without data, i would prob say when you started having serialized shows whose flow was disrupted by reruns. So maybe early to mid 2000s?

I must be the only one here watching Togetherness, but I'll keep pimping it like crazy. Three huge, gigantic moments this week. For any other show, this is the season finale, but for this, it's episode 2 of the second season. Super gripping stuff.

Loved the first season, thought the opener was okay, but really loved this past week's episode.  That ending!

Also really enjoying Baskets on FX which is the greatest oddball comedy on TV (Well, until 'Last Man on Earth' comes back this weekend...actually, it may be odder than 'Last Man...'.  It's totally bizarre how good Louie Anderson is in his role as Chip Baskets' mother.  Like it's just the genuinely likable, real performance and I am constantly forgetting that it's Louie Anderson playing a woman and just caught up in the character.  Also enjoying Zach Galifinakis as twin brothers, especially with the recent reveal that his more succesful brother is in no way, shape or form more put-together than Chip.  Last week with Chip trying to get attention by telling jokes, only to get actual cricket chirps in response just SLAYED me.

Also really feel like Animals found its groove after the awkward first episode.  If you haven't seen it, it's an animated series about NYC hipster animals (And some bugs).  Lots of familiar voices (Mark Duplass, Jason Mantzoukas, Aziz Ansari, Adam Scott, Chelsea Peretti etc. etc.) and just silly fun.

This Is Not Happening on Comedy Central is the best. Jim Breuer just told a story about calling in a Qaddafi bomb threat to the Sears paint department he worked in back in the day and I lost it. Last week Henry Rollins was talking about taking acid... let that set in for a second.

I've seen Breuer live 3 or 4 times, so I've heard the Qaddafi bit. I'm about to watch the Henry Rollins episode now.

Rewatching The Wire at work (hooray for 3rd shift security job!)

Omar Little remains the most compelling criminal in a crime show and Jimmy Mcnulty the best screw up of a cop you can come across

James

• Like 2

So far there have been about ten different shows about weed on Viceland

EDIT: Matter of fact, other shows like Noisey and the Action Jackson food show have had near-constant smoking in them too. They even showed a recording of a test audience member saying how teenagers are gonna end up getting together when their folks are gone and get high with their friends while they watch it (obviously she was a scared mother). Ellen Page also has a show called Gaycation. 

I think this will be my go-to background noise station when El Rey isn't on.

Stick with it, it gets better and waaaaay funnier. Maybe that's just me though.

Apparently H2 (History Channel 2) has been changed into Viceland (as in VICE Magazine) and is hosting all kinds of bizarre/alt/hipster documentary stuff. Should be interesting.

The same as the one that's done the HBO documentaries? I've been watching their stuff they've done on North Korea, pretty fascinating stuff.

Only halfway through the first ep of Hap & Leonard on SundanceTV and I think this is gonna be great. Just seeing Christina Hendricks walk up wearing that dress alone is worth watching.

"Remember, a hard dick ain't got no conscience." - Michael K. Williams

House of Cards tonight?! Ohhh fuck.

So many shows to binge-watch. So little time.

I still haven't gotten around to The Flash yet. Like, literally, every time I do: There's another thing to binge-watch. And it is has to be done ASAP.

Wow... a lot of what I'm watching these days is a direct result of me being bored at work. That being said, I power watched the first season of Mozart In The Jungle and found it very light and breezy with plenty of good laughs. Now the dirty old man in me wants to find and marry Hannah Dunne

James

• Like 1