DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] MARCH 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Goonies as a comedy ensemble cast deserve a nod for sure.

Similarly, the kids in Stand by Me, considering their later successes ...

It's very hard to look at Stand by Me and not think of what happened to River Phoenix.

It's a movie that works best in hindsight, perhaps.

I accidentally watched Universal Soldier: Regeneration and A Good Day to Die Hard back to back. If you've got an 80s/ 90s action franchise that's flagging, don't set the next one in Russia and have the climax at Chernobyl. Because although that might sound like a good idea, it clearly isn't one, because both of these movies were rubbish.

Andrei Arlovski is slightly less uncharismatic on camera than Jai Courtney. Although he's basically playing an automata. Courtney is supposed to come across like a young version of Bruce Willis, and he just doesn't. At all. It seems all of his Spartacus charisma was in his hair. But basically, two bad movies and I don't know why I watched either, let alone both.

Jai Courtney has grown on me a bit. 

Possibly it's that thing where if you see someone enough times, you sort of get used to them. I don't know.

But he's tolerable now. 

It's very hard to look at Stand by Me and not think of what happened to River Phoenix.

To be fair, River's character in SbM dies young as well.

To be fair, River's character in SbM dies young as well.

Yeah, but there's something particularly sad about how he disappears as he walks away.

It's a good movie anyway, but that is just a gut punch  (I only saw after his death).

For the first time in probably close to a decade, I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind tonight.

Christ what a film

I like to watch it on Valentine's Day (Which I did this year).  I'm totally baffled how there are still things I am just seeing now 11 years later after having watched it 10+ times.  Like how the names in the opening credits disappear in the same way the names do on the cards the doctor sends to friends of the people who have had the procedure done.  Or the one scene where Joel and Clementine are talking in the Barnes and Noble and books disappear off the shelf in the foreground while they talk.  I LOVE this movie.

Im sure ive said this before but a few years ago, i ended up on valentines day on the the Long Island RR going out to see an ex and it hit me i was almost living out Eternal Sunshine (minus memory machine).

Im sure ive said this before but a few years ago, i ended up on valentines day on the the Long Island RR going out to see an ex and it hit me i was almost living out Eternal Sunshine (minus memory machine).

Maybe your friends have cards that say otherwise.

BTW, when ESOTSM came out, it had a nifty little website (lacuna.com IIRC) where you can sign up and "erase" people.  So, I signed up my sister who had just broken up with her boyfriend (Whom she had never really intended to date and just started telling his friends that they were dating) and she got a notification that night that said "[Redacted] has had you erased from their memories.  Please don't bring up their relationship again." and my sister went "He erased me..." before I immediately copped to it, which was pretty much the cruelest but funniest movie-related prank I've ever pulled on someone (Maybe tied with when I signed up for the hotmail account used in the 'Swimfan' movie and started sending anonymous messages to my best friend).

I thought the little boy in The Shining did particularly well considering he apparently didn't even know it was a horror film. (Kubrick refused to tell him.) 

I mean, I can't imagine being in a main role in something as an actor and not even knowing the genre of what you're meant to be in or what it's supposed to be about. 

Credit to the acting or Kubrick''s directing, but you watch that film, and can't really tell he had no clue about the material and he thought it was some mild family melodrama or something.  

Girls and I watched Tomorrowland last night (2015 sci-fi flick with George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, and Britt Robertson from Under The Dome), and it had some fun moments (Raffey Cassidy plays a cyborg kid and she walks in front of a truck at one point and all three of us popped huge because it was such a crazy scene), but then Laurie's character goes on a very "save the world" preachfest and suddenly the movie is over two hours long for no reason, and had a sappy finish.

Can also confirm.

Such a crazy ending. My first thought was that it would be badass if Bad Robot finally got Voltron going and her character gets chosen to pilot the Red Lion.

• Like 1

Saw this subject on twitter and thought it was interesting: Who are the main protagonists of cinema who never went through a proper character arc?

One popular opinion offered was John McClaine, but I'm not convinced. Eh, one theme of the whole franchise is him realizing he was a shitty father and husband and making some efforts to change. 

In general, though:

Tank Girl or Dredd were arguably the exact same at the end of their films as they were at the start.

Axel Foley.

Maybe Obi Wan. He started out good and honorable and focused on doing the right thing. And he ended the franchise the exact same way. He was never tempted. He was uncorruptible. He didn't change. He never had to.  (You could perhaps argue he toughened up and became damaged and rageful from his experiences, but I'm still not sure the young guy we met in TPM isn't basically the same as the old man we see in a ANH.) 

Obi Wan really isn't the protagonist of the Star Wars movies, though. I mean, maybe a case could be made for REVENGE, but that would be it. And, really, Palpatine has a stronger case in that one.

PHANTOM is Qui Gon, ATTACK is Anakin, HOPE is Luke.