DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'd like a segment where Dean wants to go shopping at Home Depot for more weapons for the Brock match, but he has to check with his accountant first: Necro in his ring gear covered in blood, but wearing his little glasses and a visor. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

They acknowledged CZW in the past.  Mainly on the Shield documentary they had out two years ago.  And I think he brought it up in Table for Three as well.

But it's still weird hearing mention of CZW on a WWE-produced show/video.

They did a piece on the career of Drake (Younger) Wuertz on their site, which of course had to mention CZW pretty heavily.

I think a couple of those clips came from the video WWE put together for all the Shield guys and Ambrose's was out training in the desert and he was noticeably bigger then. He's so much leaner now.

Even when the Shield broke up and he started wrestling in the tank top I thought he was bigger then than he is now. I mean, he wasn't that big to begin with, but he looks really skinny now.

15 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Yeah. The better issue would be slowly trying to return to a more old-school style of wrestling instead of getting rid of house shows.

Even if you say something like "Well, Pandora's Box has already been opened, you have to have PPV-caliber matches on Raw", there's still equally big problems there on the other side (Main Event and Superstars are the C-shows, everyone knows them as the C-shows- people were furious WWE re-debuted Emma on Main Event BECAUSE it's a C-show. There is no good reason that Main Event and Superstars has "WWE superstar vs. WWE superstar" matches instead of "Superstar vs. NXT'er and/or local talent" squash matches.

Hell, if Main Event or Superstars announced a changeover to "WWE vs. NXT matches each week" and marketed it as special for that reason, it would probably make that C-show MORE popular instead of less of a draw, while still helping to lower the 'superstar vs. superstar' matches.

Velocity and Heat did pretty well by just having WWE guys wrestle local or top indy talent. I don't see why that formula isn't carried over to Superstars/Main Event.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Even when the Shield broke up and he started wrestling in the tank top I thought he was bigger then than he is now. I mean, he wasn't that big to begin with, but he looks really skinny now.

Too much time in the desert eating peyote; not enough time in the gym

• Like 1

I think one of the issues that doesn't get talked about with the recent spat of injuries is the age of the roster. Most don't hit the main roster til they are 30 and are still working a full time schedule at 35-40.

Look at the major sports leagues. Very few athletes make it til they are 35 and if they do are fighting near constant injuries.

• Like 2

Those rocks he's climbing aren't actually that steep. He's basically crawling up a hill, not climbing a cliff. Also, I don't think he's actually that far from the road. On the first series of TUF, Randy Couture took his team for a jog over some mountains in the desert and he mentioned they'd only driven 10 minutes (from Central Vegas) to get there.

RE: DB. The one thing I can think of in this situation is that I can imagine it is difficult as hell for DB to be around wrestling when you know the guy still has the passion to wrestle. A bar is not a great place for a recovering alcoholic to hang around, so maybe this is just his way of clearing out and getting away from it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

I think one of the issues that doesn't get talked about with the recent spat of injuries is the age of the roster. Most don't hit the main roster til they are 30 and are still working a full time schedule at 35-40.

Look at the major sports leagues. Very few athletes make it til they are 35 and if they do are fighting near constant injuries.

But on the contrary, historically in pro wrestling, people didn't make a major name for themselves until their mid-30s and were still able to work full-time schedules into their late-40s/early-50s, so the age of the roster may not matter as much (and this was true even before the steroid use of the WWF/E era, so the bigger elephant in the room is also an unlikely reason.)

Yeah, to me the main cause of all the injuries is the current WWE style, which is based around the idea that your moveset is your brand, so get all your shit in even if you're in a 5-minute Raw match. So you take a style that eschews selling and matwork and frequently incorporates high-risk stuff, and then you apply it to the WWE work schedule, and of course you're going to get injuries.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

RE: DB. The one thing I can think of in this situation is that I can imagine it is difficult as hell for DB to be around wrestling when you know the guy still has the passion to wrestle. A bar is not a great place for a recovering alcoholic to hang around, so maybe this is just his way of clearing out and getting away from it. 

Or he's enjoying retirement way more than he thought he would, and he's decided he wants to stay home for a while longer before going back on the road?  Maybe he finally got a TV, and he's getting caught up on Netflix?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Or he's enjoying retirement way more than he thought he would, and he's decided he wants to stay home for a while longer before going back on the road?  Maybe he finally got a TV, and he's getting caught up on Netflix?

Or it could be both. I just hope the dude is getting on and enjoying life after wrestling.

14 hours ago, Big Fresh said:

I'm terrified Dean Ambrise is gonna pass out from heat exhaustion in the desert or fall off one of those damn rocks he's climbing and there will be no one out there to help him.

No one to help him, but Jim Morrison, who'll ask if seeing Tatanka's bare ass was unnecessary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

No one to help him, but Jim Morrison, who'll ask if seeing Tatanka's bare ass was unecessary. 

I read this as "John Morrison" and imagined Morrison making his re-debut as a desert shaman that gives advice and guidance to Ambrose. 

• Like 2