DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

So, I posted that photo of Luke Harper being helped to the back in the RAW thread on Monday.... apparently he tore his ACL.

And the meatgrinder rolls on.

Maybe they should drop house shows, if not fully then down to a very low number. Are they an actual serious moneymaker? Do Raw + Superstars on Monday, Smackdown + Main Event on Wednesday or so, and maybe one house show per week. Everyone gets more free time, less wear and tear on their bodies, and I don't think the TV - so, the actual pro-duct - would suffer one iota. What am I missing here?

On another note, I find it amusing than DB asked for time off. Hasn't the past two years been time off? I need to get on his schedule, stat.

I proposed the "getting rid of house shows" idea here a few months ago. I think we all agreed that they make too much money to just stop. I think that it's worth the sacrifice, not just because of the injuries, but also because of what we now know about CTE. If you play your cards right, you could have a guy in the ring only once a month or so and that would dramatically cut down on the injuries. 

46 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

I proposed the "getting rid of house shows" idea here a few months ago. I think we all agreed that they make too much money to just stop. I think that it's worth the sacrifice, not just because of the injuries, but also because of what we now know about CTE. If you play your cards right, you could have a guy in the ring only once a month or so and that would dramatically cut down on the injuries. 

Yeah. The better issue would be slowly trying to return to a more old-school style of wrestling instead of getting rid of house shows.

Even if you say something like "Well, Pandora's Box has already been opened, you have to have PPV-caliber matches on Raw", there's still equally big problems there on the other side (Main Event and Superstars are the C-shows, everyone knows them as the C-shows- people were furious WWE re-debuted Emma on Main Event BECAUSE it's a C-show. There is no good reason that Main Event and Superstars has "WWE superstar vs. WWE superstar" matches instead of "Superstar vs. NXT'er and/or local talent" squash matches.

Hell, if Main Event or Superstars announced a changeover to "WWE vs. NXT matches each week" and marketed it as special for that reason, it would probably make that C-show MORE popular instead of less of a draw, while still helping to lower the 'superstar vs. superstar' matches.

I think they could stand to reduce the number of house shows. Run them in short bursts, maybe 5-10 a month. Have highlights shown on B shows. Sort of a mix of NJPW and NXT touring style. If you can make them feel like unique events you could probably either charge more, sell more, or both as well honestly.

If they changed the C-shows to "WWE vs NXT" or whatever, wouldn't most of the talent in NXT have to tour with the main roster so they could appear at these tapings all over the country? You could make the argument that they could fly them in for a day, but ultimately what's the point? They fly in, work a match, and have to fly/drive back to Florida and do tapings and then be on the road for a short amount of time for the national NXT tours they do now? It doesn't add up, to me.

In other news, Jericho has been starting shit with Nakamura on Twitter because they're building towards Jericho/Nak at Sumo Hall in July.

9 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Daniel Bryan seems to have been pulled from any and all upcoming live appearances, including Axxess.

I hope everything's ok.

There was going to be a Daniel Bryan Appreciation Night at the WWE show I'm going to next month. Hope Bryan's okay.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

So, I posted that photo of Luke Harper being helped to the back in the RAW thread on Monday.... apparently he tore his ACL.

I attended two WWE shows last year hoping to see Luke Harper and we didn't get him. Third time was the charm as Luke was down for the WWE show I'm at next month. Sucks Luke has bad an injury as that. Luke deserves better in the WWE.

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

While we were away, this happened: http://gawker.com/the-hogan-verdict-1766460791

The article itself is long, but I have to think he's telling the truth because not doing so would lead to a whole other world of problems. If he is telling the truth, I don't think Gawker loses their appeal.

So is it normal to not know what you're being sued for and your own lawyers to not disclose that information to you until after the case? There's so many other questions I have, but most boil down to how could the trial have gone this way?

As the court documents were being released - Bix was going through them and tweeting things immediately and it was along the same lines as what Gawker was saying - there were stuff in there that was stunning it wasn't allowed in court.

But that is part of the reason I mentioned Hogan getting the perfect judge and jury. Since the judge was bad mouthing Gawker during the opening comments of the trial

I posted this in the Mania thread but after watching I posted it here as I am now thinking this clearly has to be the first time the WWE has acknowledged Combat Zone - right?

They acknowledged CZW in the past.  Mainly on the Shield documentary they had out two years ago.  And I think he brought it up in Table for Three as well.

But it's still weird hearing mention of CZW on a WWE-produced show/video.

Ehhhh. They should've showed him the Superstar Graham in THE DESERT video and let him rip that off instead. Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels training segment doesn't fit his character the right way. Too normal.

That'll be the only time you ever see Necro Butcher in WWE though

I'd like a segment where Dean wants to go shopping at Home Depot for more weapons for the Brock match, but he has to check with his accountant first: Necro in his ring gear covered in blood, but wearing his little glasses and a visor. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

They acknowledged CZW in the past.  Mainly on the Shield documentary they had out two years ago.  And I think he brought it up in Table for Three as well.

But it's still weird hearing mention of CZW on a WWE-produced show/video.

They did a piece on the career of Drake (Younger) Wuertz on their site, which of course had to mention CZW pretty heavily.

I think a couple of those clips came from the video WWE put together for all the Shield guys and Ambrose's was out training in the desert and he was noticeably bigger then. He's so much leaner now.