DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

God I totally forgot that they were taping Smackdown before Raw tonight

Yeah - that Main Event segment with Roman is going to go over really really well after everyone has been there for 5 hours

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God I totally forgot that they were taping Smackdown before Raw tonight

Yeah - that Main Event segment with Roman is going to go over really really well after everyone has been there for 5 hours

What's the point of taping something out of order like that nowadays? Especially since these are important go-home shows. They couldn't have just done some stuff at Axxess?

I'm young enough to admit that I was mostly influenced by RD Reynolds and X-Entertainment when it comes to online people. Never had a real wrassle site that I followed obsessively, don't know any of y'all old man references happening here.

• Like 1

Wrestling sites were the first websites I went to when I got regular internet access in 1996 or so.  Scoops, RSPW (mainly for links to other sites), and Wrestlezone were my biggest stops (Scoops was my internet start page for a long time), plus random other places that would host video clips of ECW/Japanese stuff that took 30 minutes to see about 10 seconds of action.  I also subscribed to Slobberknocker Central's Monday night recaps which were always a good read with none of the self-indulgent bullshit a lot of the regular recappers would use.

• Like 2

The first website I have an active memory of clicking on was "Chow Yun-Fat: God of Actors"  It was a geocities, but it's still round sort of

It's hard to choose which awesome award blurb at the bottom of the page to go with:

This site received a Lavalinks Hot Web Site award from GroovePlanet, a webzine for Top-40 radio stations!!!!!!

or

This site has been reviewed by Excite, and was given 4/4 stars.

or

This site was designated a Cool Site in the CYF category of NewHoo!

or

This page was also honoured with the title of January 1997 Site of the Month by FirePig, who call themselves Boston's favourite band.

Actually, the FirePig one is probably the most prestigious.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

My 90s sites consisted of Al Isaacs/Scoops, Micasa/Samuda, 1Wrestling/Scherer and I think there was a guy named "The Slammer" Peter Sciretta.

All of those are still better than the fucking awful Wrestling Inc, and the terrible human beings who post in the comment section, there. 

I used to read a lot of x-wrestling and bino.com (which I never hear referenced anymore and maybe I was their sole reader, but I hope not?), and stuff like that where there was a lot of eyerolling about internet wrestling news sites in general. A lot of that stuff, uh, hasn't aged super well when I've poked around on the wayback machine.

Totally unrelated, but: Has anyone ever run a match where all the spots are intentionally called loud enough to be heard by the audience? Not just Cena or whoever being too loud or someone being sloppy, but a match where the point was that that all the spots could be heard. As a comedy match, maybe? Or is that something that would still be treated as breaking a pretty big taboo?

I am not saying this is a good idea or anyone should do this, but I was wondering if there's any video of something like that in existence, even on an indy level.

13 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

Has anyone ever run a match where all the spots are intentionally called loud enough to be heard by the audience? 

i seem to remember Road Dogg and Mick Foley doing something to that effect on a house show, calling spots on mic for everyone to hear. Then they had a "miscommunication" and started going at it "for real". Not sure if this is and Internet folk tale or not, never seen footage.

Edit: sorry about huge empty space, I'm on my phone

I'm pretty sure the message boards for Promotion Wars and Extreme Warfare were the first websites I found that were wrestling-centric. The latter game introduced me to people like Scotsman, CRZ and Scott Keith.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure the message boards for Promotion Wars and Extreme Warfare were the first websites I found that were wrestling-centric. The latter game introduced me to people like Scotsman, CRZ and Scott Keith.

It was always a goal of mine to write an EWR diary but I never had the patience to start one and update it regularly enough for it to be a worthwhile endeavor. 

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Glad you brought that up.  Keith and Scotsman were the same person, right?