DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

36 minutes ago, Hoarr said:

The major news ALLEGEDLY is about Brandon Stroud from Uproxx being a creep toward female talent from Inspire Pro Wrestling here in Austin. One version has him sending out unsolicited photos, another has him stealing nude photos from a wrestling talents phone.

Either way, the MAJOR tag is only a thing for people like Lanza and other online non-wrestler wrestling personalities. Not a big deal unless you're super involved in With Leather dealings or just love or hate Stroud.

Related: Where the FUCK is the Hogan incest story coming from?? Reddit people were seemingly convinced that this was the deal, what the hell???

Should I have any clue who Brandon Stroud is?  Or what Uprroxx is?  I could google him, I suppose, but I have a feeling I'm not going to care enough to make that worth the effort.

10 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

He/they are the Online Onslaught/Micasa of the 2kteens

I think you meant this to clear things up for me, but I have no idea what Online Onslaught/Miscara are either.

I feel really old right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I think you meant this to clear things up for me, but I have no idea what Online Onslaught/Miscara are either.

I feel really old right now.

Hot wrestling news sites of the late 90s.

Why We Wrestle's Hardcore Hell in Cornelia, GA lived up to the hype and was such a fun show. I had never seen a deathmatch in person and it was quite the spectacle. MASADA slamming skewers into Brad Cash's head then letting go as they fanned out while staying stuck in Cash's cranium was insane. I really don't think the crowd knew what to make of this match at first but MASADA and Cash had them into it by the end. Met MASADA during intermission and he is beyond super cool. If this is what Why We Wrestle is going to produce on a regular basis it will be worth the drive to catch a show at the Church of Southern Wrestling. 

I posted the well written report by Larry Goodman from the Georgia Wrestling History page in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

(1) WWW Heavyweight Tournament Semifinal: Kevin Blue defeated Billy Buck via submission to win the Anarchy Triple Crown in 11:46. This crowd is hot. Dueling chants with the adults for Blue and the kids for Buck. Blue had Buck’s pet figure four leg lock scouted. Buck ended a nice sequence of counters with a spinebuster for a near fall. Blue picked up one of Buck’s title belts but dropped it when referee Chris Wiggins threatened a DQ. As Wiggins was getting the belt out of the ring, Blue went to hit Buck with a second belt but Wiggins grabbed that one away, and Buck superkicked Blue for a close near fall. Blue dodged a second superkick and hit the Air Raid Crash for a close near fall of his own. Buck tried for a figure four around the ringpost. Wiggins got knocked down in the process. With the ref down, Blue wrapped Buck’s knee around the ringpost and whacked it with a chair. They would have been better off doing that spot on the side away from the bleachers so the fans couldn’t see that Blue was whacking the post. Blue applied the STF and Buck tapped. Great way to kick off the show. The false finishes worked, and if Buck was going to lose, it had to be due to serious cheating.

Postmatch – Wiggins and Dany Only helped a hobbled Buck to the back.

(2) WWW Heavyweight Tournament Semifinal: Stryknyn defeated Geter in 7:38. Crowd still on fire. Strykyn came out with his back taped from the beating Geter gave him at the last show. Geter picked up right where he left off. Stryk was selling the agony for all he was worth. It was total domination by Geter until he missed a splash. The fans got behind Stryk. He speared Geter and both were down. A second spear did the trick. Tough to make a spear a believable finisher against a monster like Geter but they pulled it off. Stryk’s selling was tremendous.

Geter attacked Stryknyn after the match. The lights went out. Well, at least they dimmed. Lights on and Judas was in the ring, begging Geter to get back in with him. Geter pointed at his brain and said not today. Judas exited through the front door. As Stryk was heading to the back, Blue came out on the ramp and laid him out again. The deck was being seriously stacked against Stryk.

(3) Timmy Lou Retton defeated Slim J in 7:25. Retton debuted as a babyface last month. This time, pro wrestling’s only male gymnast was an arrogant egotist. Slim was matching Retton’s aerial skills until Retton let loose with a high-pitched screech. J stopped J in his tracks and Retton capitalized. Gymnastic hijinks ensued. J capped off his comeback with a top rope rana for a near fall. Retton back with a buckle bomb and an overhead belly to belly suplex. Retton said it was over - the kiss of death for a heel as Retton missed a moonsault. Slim had the momentum going his way when Retton ended it out of nowhere with a corkscrew neckbreaker. These guys matched up very well. I surely hope that Slim taking a clean loss means Retton figures in future plans.

(4) Get Along Gang (P Dog & CB Suave & Marko Polo & Gil Quest) defeated Sound & Fury (William Huckaby & Joe Black) and The Ambassadors (Jacoby Boykins & Chris Mayne) in 11:12. Crowd lost some steam during this match. The things that stood out were the power moves of Boykins and Huckaby. GAG got heat on Mayne. Boykins was cleaning house when he accidentally elbowed one of the S & F guys and Quest (maybe 150 pounds) pinned Boykins (at 340). The finish pretty much sucked and was lost on the crowd.

Postmatch – The Ambassadors/Sound & Fury partnership went to hell in a handbasket. Only came out and told them to quit fighting or their employment would be terminated. Only reminded both teams that they were in the tag team tournament so mark it to be continued.

(5) James Drake defeated Rob Killjoy in 8:28. Drake has clearly gotten himself in better shape. These guys were killing each other with strikes and going a mile a minute. The problem was that fans had no clue about the sources fierce animosity they were witnessing unless they happened to attend the February 13 show, and I’m guessing most of them did not. What they did looked really good, but it was overkill for this spot on the show. Killjoy hit Drake with a top rope double stomp on the ramp, then another one in the ring, and Drake kicked out. Killjoy went for a chair. Buck hobbled out and took the chair away. Killjoy continued to dish it out bigtime. Drake absorbed everything Killjoy could throw at him and won it with an elevated double underhook flipped into a sitout slam. This match should have been held off and given more of a build. On this show, it was lost in the shuffle.

(6) Shane Hexxon defeated Iceberg in 10:29. Iceberg was greeted with a standing ovation and a “welcome back” chant. Hexxon looks like a biker that has gone off the deep end. They cautiously sized each other up in the opening minutes. Berg rocked Hexxon’s world with a clothesline. Hexxon started taking shortcuts. Hexxon slipped off the top rope on a move that was supposed to miss and landed on Berg...a recipe for injury but both men appeared to be OK. Berg’s comeback came up short, as Hexxon reeled off a top rope clothesline, a Yakuza kick and a sick kick to earn the victory. This was another in a series of very generous performances by Iceberg. As with Retton, I assume that creative has something in mind for Hexxon. He has better matches in him than this.

Postmatch – Berg and Hexxon shook hands. Only came out to pay tribute to Berg and lead the crowd in another “Iceberg” chant.

Former NWA Wildside Tag Team Champion White Trash was introduced as the special ring announcer for “Ultraviolence”. 

masada.jpg(7) Ultraviolence: Masada defeated “Deathwish” Brad Cash with Reverend Dan Wilson) in 25:57. If you thought, as I did, that Cash was a sacrificial lamb to be slaughtered, think again. The guy showed no fear, no hesitation and not an ounce of quit. He’s a big dude. Masada was giving away 30 pounds. Cash clotheslined Masada out of the ring and used a coping saw on Masada’s arm and forehead. Masada bled heavily from wounds in both places. Masada stapled Cash’s forehead a few times. Cash knocked Masada out of the ring and tried to pick the staples out of his forehead. Cash took a cheese grater to Masada’s forehead for more blood. Masada gave Cash a snap suplex on the hardwood floor. Back inside the ring, Masada applied an STF. Masada whipped Cash into a barbed wire board for a near fall. Masada took the barbed wire to Cash’s forehead to get the crimson flowing. Cash gave Masada a back suplex onto a barbed wire board and carved on his head with the jagged edge of a light tube. Cash hit Masada with a flaming kendo stick. Masada hit Cash right in the face with the kendo stick, leaving a huge purple welt near his eye. Masada broke out the barbed skewers. He poked the skewers into Cash’s forehead. Cash’s face was a crimson mask. This sight of this unleashed the animal spirits in the crowd. The energy was nuts. Masada gave Cash a tornado DDT with the skewers sticking out of his forehead. Cash kicked out. The crowd chanted “this is awesome”. Cash gave Masada an electric chair drop onto the barbed wire board. Referee Dee Byers tried to stop the match. White Trash blasted Byers with a stop sign. Byers was carried out. Trash said, “We finish these matches. That’s what this building is about." They fought their way out the front door and into the parking lot. Nothing too horrific happened out there. Back inside the ring, Cash got his knees up on Masada’s moonsault. With Cash laid out at ringside, Masada did a flip dive onto a bridged barbed wire board, driving the barbs into Cash’s body. Sick beyond belief. Cash kicked out at two and gave Masada a middle finger salute. Masada gave Cash a DVD onto a barbed wire board to end it. I’ve been to death match tournaments and never seen anything like this because few of those guys had the wrestling skills of Masada. This was a gory, grueling death match done with quality wrestling moves mixed in. Freaking incredible.

Masada did a beer toast with Todd Sexton and Only, then hoisted a celebratory brew with Cash.

masada.jpg
The Talent Show - JT Talent brought Jeff G. Bailey out for his first WWW appearance. Talent asked Bailey about his favorite clients. For singles- Bailey’s list included AJ Styles, Abyss, R Truth and Kimo and for tag teams – Phil Shatter (Gunner) & Kimo, Kory Chavis & Azrael and Talent & Money. Bailey announced that he was bringing in his next big star in on April 9 – none other than Gunner Miller. Bailey put Miller over huge for his legitimate athletic credentials and said he wouldn’t be in Cornelia for long, because he was destined to be in Orlando within a year. The bad news was that Miller would be bringing fear, despair and pain to some of the fans’ beloved stars. Bailey then put over the wrestling product at the Church of Southern Wrestling in the most glowing terms and told fans to accept no substitute. Just a terrific promo from Bailey that got over like gangbusters.

Only said David Young was going to beat Henry’s ass for dissing his daughter Amber. Henry said he tried to like David because of Amber. But he realized who David really was. He was playing like daddy of the year now, but where was David all those other years? Sleeping with ring rats. Henry said he was a compassionate man and because he loved Amber, he was going to give David an opportunity to get out of the beating by coming out and apologizing to Amber. No David. Henry told Amber she didn’t need to see this and sent her to the back.

We heard David on the mic but didn’t see him. He said there wasn’t one dad in the building that wouldn’t put Henry’s ass on the floor.

(8) Anthony Henry defeated David Young in a Last Man Standing Match in 21:48. David dropped Henry on his arm with a spiral move. Henry fled the ring to regroup. David pursued. Henry posted David and the blood flowed. David was a bloody mess. David took a back flip bump over the rail into the chairs. Henry cleared the barricade with a dive off the top and put David down again. Henry stood on a chair while the ref counted. David was up at 8. Henry sat David in a chair a delivered a running kick to the face. Back inside, Henry applied a guillotine choke. He broke the hold to let the ref count and David got up at 9. Young dug deep and suplexed Henry into the buckles. David ran wild on Henry. David busted out a beautiful dropkick. Henry was up at 4. Henry with a brainbuster and a kick to face. Young was in dire straits. Henry brought a fire extinguisher into the ring. Amber got into the ring and told him not to use it. They argued. David hit the spinebuster. Henry barely beat the 10 count. David went to use the extinguisher but Amber took it away. Henry went up top. David crotched him and hit a superplex. Amber got in between them and told them to stop. Henry shoved Amber into her dad, and tried for a huracanrana. David reversed it with a powerbomb. David was about to split Henry’s wig with a chair when Amber gave him a low blow. Henry put the chair on top of David’s crumpled body, did a top rope double stomp onto the chair, then a frogsplash onto the chair. The smile on Amber’s face as Henry pinned her father was pure evil. After not taking a bump for two years, I did not know David had this kind of match in him. It had story, it had action and it had some of the best selling by Young that you would ever want to see. Henry has taken his game to a new level as a heel.

Postmatch – Henry and Amber were getting massive heat and milking it for all they were worth.

Only, Masada, Scotty Beach, Taco Delgado and Iceberg all came out to help Young. The fans popped huge and chanted “you still got it”. Young was on his knees with blood and tears streaming down his face.

Only summoned wrestlers to the ring to form a wall to keep Nemesis and Jacob Ashworth separated while he got them to sign waivers for the unsanctioned fight that was about to take place.

(9) Unsanctioned Fight: Nemesis defeated Jacob Ashworth in around 10 minutes. I didn’t get the need for a referee for an unsanctioned fight but Nathaniel Spivey was in there doing his best. The crowd was nuts for Ashworth. The action quickly spilled out of the ring. Nemesis DDTed Ashworth on the ramp and choked him with a cord. Nemesis brought a chair into play. Ashworth returned fire with a chairshot and ordered the fans to toss chairs into the ring ala ECW. Ashworth stacked up a dozen of them, but Nemesis backdropped him onto the chairs, then gave him a DDT onto the chairs. Ashworth was bleeding profusely. Nemesis pounded Ashworth with chairshots until he was unconscious. Nemesis said if he didn’t get a WWW contract he would murder Ashworth, Nemesis was dropping F bombs all over the place. Only came out and agreed to give Nemesis a contract if he would leave Ashworth alone.

Nemesis headed towards the front the door and ordered security to “spread the sea for me” by separating the barricades.

As a contingent of babyfaces helped a bloody, battered Ashworth to the back, Only asked the fans to forgive him for what he had done. The booking left me scratching my head. The babyface was beaten to a pulp in a fair fight that he demanded.  What is the basis for arematch? What does this do to Ashworth’s stature as a top babyface?

Feltner wished the fans a Happy Easter. It was now past midnight and the show was fast approaching four hours long.

stryk%2BHH.jpg
(10) Stryknyn defeated Kevin Blue to become the first WWW Heavyweight Champion and unify the title with the Anarchy Triple Crown in 13:46. I’d say 80% of the crowd was still there and they were behind Stryk all the way. Stryknyn was still suffering as he came to the ring and could barely stand for the opening bell. Blue immediately nailed Stryk with a Yakuza kick for a near fall and went the back with a vengeance. Stryk hulked up. Blue reversed Stryk’s first attempt at the F5. Blue tried for another Yakuza kick that Stryk reversed into the F5 but Blue kicked out. They went back and forth with submissions, Stryk with the Tourniquet (Anaconda Vise) and Blue with the STF. Stryknyn kicked out of the Air Raid Crash. Stryk speared Blue for an awesome false finish. Confusion reigned as Blue was announced as the winner, although the bell never rang and Blue clearly kicked out. Only came out to restart the match. They battled on the ropes. Blue tried to go airborne and Stryk speared him out of midair to win. The crowd was rewarded for hanging in there with a excellent match. After four hours of wrestling, the heat for the match and the pop for Stryk’s win were damn impressive.

The weird thing about this story is that the hot takes running wild on Twitter creates some sort of false sense of safeness for people to unload on Stroud, as if it's OK to come out now since he's being vilified. No one involved has really stepped forward to prove the story. The only thing that leads me to believe that it's real is that the scumbag promoter of another wrestling fed in town mentioned it yesterday as well, singling out his "least favorite wrestling blogger".

People love it when hypocrites get theirs but this whole thing blew up due to Lanza being put through the wringer by Stroud and his fanbase a while back over an accidental (maybe?) CHIKARA unmasking. Lanza was being coy about his tweet to avoid anyone really attacking him over perceived pettiness or retaliation, IMO.

So, the Daniel Bryan conspiracy theories can cease for a while now...

April in my neck of the woods:

-Saturday 4/2: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO
-Saturday 4/9: Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO; Combined Martial Arts in Marion, IL
-Friday 4/15: Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Terry Funk appearing)
-Saturday 4/16: World League Wrestling in Troy, MO; Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in Cape Girardeau, MO (Terry Funk appearing)
-Saturday 4/23: High Risk Wrestling in Warsaw, MO
-Sunday 4/24: Wrestling Invades America in Swansea, IL
-Saturday 4/30: Pro Wrestling Championship Series in Granite City, IL; Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in Millstadt, IL

P.S. You think you feel old; I wrote for the nWWWo.

• Like 1

Rob Feinstein wants us to know that he's still way more well-known in 2016 than this dude is.  And did something way worse.

I'm not gonna email him to ask for a comment, but I doubt he thinks this is a "major story."

I was around in the 90's and I don't remember Brandon Stroud or his site at all, fwiw.  Honestly, I think the only wrestling journalist well-known enough to be involved in a major scandal is Dave Meltzer, and we'd probably believe anything odd we hear about them anyways.

I've learned that people who call themselves and their friends wrestling journalists should never be trusted. That goes for Uproxx, WhatCulture and several other personalities I brush up against online.

Thankfully, I think I can stay controversy free by scanning in old WCW Magazines and putting up dumb posts about wrestling toys. I just hope that when I eventually fuck up too, I have enough good will built amongst my fanbase that I can rebound after an apology and Internet sabbatical. #Goals

• Like 1