DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I got into a fight with a kid when I was maybe 12 and tried to DDT him on the sidewalk.  It didn't really work and became a half-ass front facelock takedown.  So I just kept him in the facelock and punched him in the side a bunch of times.  So yeah, the DDT doesn't work if the other guy isn't cooperating.

I got into a fight with a kid when I was maybe 12 and tried to DDT him on the sidewalk.  It didn't really work and became a half-ass front facelock takedown.  So I just kept him in the facelock and punched him in the side a bunch of times.  So yeah, the DDT doesn't work if the other guy isn't cooperating.

Not true, a friend of mine ddt'ed another friend of mine once when we were kids and a lot of tears were spilled that day.

Changing tack, this WrestleMania is the first time for me where I've realised the name is now the draw and not the matches

They better hope so. Not that it doesn't have the potential to be fun, but this is one of the most underwhelming cards in recent Manias. I'm trying to think if there was weaker one since I got back into WWE a few years ago and I got nothing:

I've got a friend who runs a record label, and a year or so ago I was at a festival helping him with some stuff backstage. Suddenly, he called me over to help repair a ricketty looking decorating table he'd been using to sell merch on. I'd barely had time to tell him it was just about fixed when he told the drummer from one of his bands to run at him, and gave him a straight-up Arn Anderson spinebuster through the table.

I hope someone caught it on video. The band didn't happen to be Eat the Turnbuckle, did it?

Not true, a friend of mine ddt'ed another friend of mine once when we were kids and a lot of tears were spilled that day.

LOL so clearly my one try wasn't an adequate sample and I should have tried DDT'ing dudes a few more times.

I never had the urge to try out pro wrestling moves on my friends or siblings but a couple of kids in my high school did. One kid suffered a broken tailbone from a botched atomic drop. It was rumored that the kid suffered some sort of sexual impairment as well but I never heard any specifics so hopefully that was a rumor.

• Like 1

LOL so clearly my one try wasn't an adequate sample and I should have tried DDT'ing dudes a few more times.

I guess your guy was either too tall or heavy or he saw it coming and was able to prepare himself.

In my case there was no warning. He just on a whim decided to grab another guy's head and bring it to the floor.

Wrestling buddies (Hogan and Warrior ones) were the perfect thing to try moves on.  Did so many powerbombs and chokeslams and even a couple elbow drops for good measure.  The only time I would ever try moves on people was years ago in a pool.  Some moves like the Rock Bottom worked, but slipped on the floor when trying an exploder.  The only time somebody cried was when we were both kids I powerbombed him on the bed and that didn't go over well at all.  Whoops.  Nowadays a good ol' chop will work.

I'm beyond amused that with March Madness and things getting heated we're able to just post stories like this and have a good laugh.  Really enjoyed the last few pages.

My best friend growing up used the DDT as a go-to move in fights...it finally backfired on him when he tried it on someone and they slipped their head out of the facelock, so he ended up going down to the ground without them, then the other guy mounted and hit a face punch flurry until we broke the fight up...

As for me, in real fights I developed a simpler, more effective version of the Cobra Clutch that I liked...then in the mid-90's I found out it was called the kata ha jime when Taz started using it in ECW...

I used to play wrestle with my cousins a lot too...for one thing, a figure four is extremely hard to put on someone who isn't cooperating, even if you're bigger and stronger than them...I used to like to tweak submissions, I think my favorite was after being introduced to the STF*, I realized that with very little effort yo could go from an Stepover Toehold Facelock to a Stepover Toehold Cobra Clutch or a Stepover Toehold Crossface Chickenwing...

* by the way how bizarre is it that a move with the lineage of the STF was introduced to so many fans in my age range by Erik fuckin' Watts?

I guess I should mention the one I actually used in an actual fight. I was 15 and being bullied by a guy who had been a friend but discovered he was big enough and strong enough to be a prick and started practicing on me. After a couple of weeks, he and pack of shit heads followed me home and pretty much forced me to fight him. My dad was a marine and a cop and taught he me all sorts of awful ways to hurt someone if need be but the one that always stuck was the sleeper hold because it's fast and relatively harmless (I said RELATIVELY.) Books got dropped and he jumped me. I managed to get behind him, sunk it, and nighty night. I still wish I could have convinced someone to check his arm three times before I let him go.

• Like 1

I guess I should mention the one I actually used in an actual fight. I was 15 and being bullied by a guy who had been a friend but discovered he was big enough and strong enough to be a prick and started practicing on me. After a couple of weeks, he and pack of shit heads followed me home and pretty much forced me to fight him. My dad was a marine and a cop and taught he me all sorts of awful ways to hurt someone if need be but the one that always stuck was the sleeper hold because it's fast and relatively harmless (I said RELATIVELY.) Books got dropped and he jumped me. I managed to get behind him, sunk it, and nighty night. I still wish I could have convinced someone to check his arm three times before I let him go.

I hope you cut his hair afterwards.

• Like 5

I  Yakuza kicked a guy during a football soccer kickabout. I was in nets the Goalie, and he was one on one with me, and tried to dink it over my head like a flash bastard. So I kicked him in the face 'by accident'.

My best friend growing up used the DDT as a go-to move in fights...it finally backfired on him when he tried it on someone and they slipped their head out of the facelock, so he ended up going down to the ground without them, then the other guy mounted and hit a face punch flurry until we broke the fight up...

As for me, in real fights I developed a simpler, more effective version of the Cobra Clutch that I liked...then in the mid-90's I found out it was called the kata ha jime when Taz started using it in ECW...

Shit, for a second there I thought you were going to say that the DDT was countered in a real fight by a northern lights suplex. 

When my friends and I would wrestle, I made a kid submit to a cobra clutch.  I'm not sure what the cobra clutch is supposed to do in kayfabe but in real life, the worst part is that the victim's own forearm is grinding/crushing his nose.

I  Yakuza kicked a guy during a football soccer kickabout. I was in nets the Goalie, and he was one on one with me, and tried to dink it over my head like a flash bastard. So I kicked him in the face 'by accident'.

And somewhere, Toshiaki Kawada smiled.....and by smiled I meant, stared stoically toward your country of origin and exhaled slightly.

• Like 3

Shit, for a second there I thought you were going to say that the DDT was countered in a real fight by a northern lights suplex. 

When my friends and I would wrestle, I made a kid submit to a cobra clutch.  I'm not sure what the cobra clutch is supposed to do in kayfabe but in real life, the worst part is that the victim's own forearm is grinding/crushing his nose.

I forget which podcast and which promoter it was, but I loved the story about the promoter having submission moves put on his announcers so they'd be able to sell how it actually worked and what it hurt.  Like someone else said, you get the crossed leg over the knee in a figure four and it is over.  I loved the Texas cloverleaf because in addition to working the back, I'd try to use the back leg to hyperextend my little brother's knee.  He still brags to this day about the one time he caught me in a modified dragon sleeper with a crossbody leg scissors and got me to tap.

Wrestling fan sleepover story. No humping

My friend was convinced he could do a Frankensteiner. He just was on his back using his legs to try and flip me off of this bed that used to be a bunkbed so it was higher off the ground then usual

So I went all Sid and kept weakly powerbombing him. He had enough and flipped me off the bed using a Mil Mascsras head spin. Onto a table, covered in eggs and cereal and shit. It didn't break sadly, by my neck felt like it did. It broke the fall for my head.

My only two stories (and I think I've shared them before) are awful. One time three kids jumped me on the track in junior high and powerbombed me on the fucking track. They ran away because they thought they fucked me up, and they did; my shoulder was a wreck for months. Like the stoic I am I never told anyone and trucked on like always. There's a reason I don't like most people.

The other time is when in high school everyone were doing wrestling moves on each other in the room that stored all the big blue pads for doing pole vaulting and whatnot and some of them were stacked high with one sitting below, so I decided to do a frogsplash with nobody beneath me onto the lower level. That was very painful.