DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

TMZ is reporting that Sting is retiring. Which isn't shocking.

Another reason to loathe Seth Rollins. 

Seth Rollins made Sting old?

C'mon dude, Rollins walks along the same line of clumsiness RVD does. 

I'm probably just bitter Sting didn't retire after last years Mania when he should have.

I agree with you to a point but the spot itself (the buckle bomb) didn't look reckless or botched. It just looked like a 56 year old who's body wasn't in condition to be in the ring anymore took a move he shouldn't have taken.

• Like 3

To tie up the last two topics, the battle royal should end with all 3 Wyatts in the ring as "co winners" no decision announced, Bray at ringside cuts one of his promos about eating the world, then Sting comes out and dumps them all with the aid of his bat (no one touches him of course) and has a little moment. I generally try to stay away from fantasy booking but it really bums me out that the poor guy didn't even get one WWE win. Not that losing to the World Champ in a ppv main event is a horrible way to go out, but I just love Sting man. I'm thinking about going to Connecticut to meet him in Saturday at some Indy show

He won against Big Show via DQ and beat Rollins & Show (teaming with John Cena) per submission (Scorpion Deathlock on Seth) on RAW.

So his record in WWE is 2-2!

I'm probably just bitter Sting didn't retire after last years Mania when he should have.

I agree with you to a point but the spot itself (the buckle bomb) didn't look reckless or botched. It just looked like a 56 year old who's body wasn't in condition to be in the ring anymore took a move he shouldn't have taken.

And that move was after a vicious table bump he probably shouldn't have taken too.

• Like 1

I'll concede to being a little facetious in my initial comment, you're right. If the production of the match was altered to cater to Sting's age then he wouldn't have suffered the debilitating injury he did. But here we are. 

To tie up the last two topics, the battle royal should end with all 3 Wyatts in the ring as "co winners" no decision announced, Bray at ringside cuts one of his promos about eating the world, then Sting comes out and dumps them all with the aid of his bat (no one touches him of course) and has a little moment. I generally try to stay away from fantasy booking but it really bums me out that the poor guy didn't even get one WWE win. Not that losing to the World Champ in a ppv main event is a horrible way to go out, but I just love Sting man. I'm thinking about going to Connecticut to meet him in Saturday at some Indy show

He won against Big Show via DQ and beat Rollins & Show (teaming with John Cena) per submission (Scorpion Deathlock on Seth) on RAW.

So his record in WWE is 2-2!

I honestly had no idea the Big Show match happened, and I forgot all about the tag match. Thanks for the heads up

Unrelated to that, but I was just thinking this morning that I actually miss Cena. I think it was seeing that Sting retired that made me think that.

I'm hoping that when he returns he gets new theme music that doesn't suck. I know he won't, but I think that's probably part of what annoys me the most about him when he is there. I think I could even stomach the cornball promos if he cut less of them. And no more goofy shit like the springboard stunner.

Aside from the theme music, I think what I would like most is if he wrestled a different style. It didn't occur to me before seeing him next to other people, but he's a goddamn monster. I almost wish he'd wrestle like a monster a bit more.

EDIT: Weird timing with the post above. I think there's probably more of us that miss the guy too.

Scott Hall's reaction to the booking of that match is classic. Even with his friend being the guy to go over, Hall still thought it was pretty fucked up.

Things are bad when Scott Hall is the voice of reason.

The very idea makes me want to see a WWE Network reboot of Highway to Heaven with Scott Hall in Michael Landon's role.

• Like 1

So Xavier Woods tweeted about how Kofi Kingston now holds the cumulative record for a person holding the WWE World Tag Titles (ie: add all the time up that they were tag champ)

Then the WWE account retweeted saying "541 days and counting!"

I am assuming this is true - at least via their version of history

I guess I just thought someone would have longer than 541 days

• Like 1

Scott Hall's reaction to the booking of that match is classic. Even with his friend being the guy to go over, Hall still thought it was pretty fucked up.

And he was absolutely right.

One assumes, though, that Kevin Nash was all in favor of it.

Unrelated to that, but I was just thinking this morning that I actually miss Cena. I think it was seeing that Sting retired that made me think that.

I'm hoping that when he returns he gets new theme music that doesn't suck. I know he won't, but I think that's probably part of what annoys me the most about him when he is there. I think I could even stomach the cornball promos if he cut less of them. And no more goofy shit like the springboard stunner.

Aside from the theme music, I think what I would like most is if he wrestled a different style. It didn't occur to me before seeing him next to other people, but he's a goddamn monster. I almost wish he'd wrestle like a monster a bit more.

EDIT: Weird timing with the post above. I think there's probably more of us that miss the guy too.

The biggest knock against Cena, (and I don't know how much of it his fault) is his opponents rarely come out of a Cena feud in better shape than when they came in. Which is strange because Cena gives plenty to his opponents.

The biggest knock against Cena, (and I don't know how much of it his fault) is his opponents rarely come out of a Cena feud in better shape than when they came in. Which is strange because Cena gives plenty to his opponents.

It's not strange at all. When you give your opponent 90% of the offense but still win the match, you don't make your opponent look like he was close. You make it look like his offense is ineffective. You can play the underdog occasionally, but when you're portrayed as the best, you have to work your matches like it. At this stage of his career (and the last 8-10 years in general), guys would get more out of hanging in amidst a serious beating from Cena than a standard heel control formula match where they get 90% of the offense and still lose clean. No one buys that guys like Rusev and Bray Wyatt have a chance against Cena, so why not work like it? I don't know if it's as much a Cena problem as it is a WWE agent/direction problem, though.

• Like 1