DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2016 - WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I always considered the IWC moniker to be a holdover from the days when everyone wasn't always on the internet. I still remember being called a nerd in high school because I spent a lot of time online. Old labels die hard, even when they stop really making sense. 

But of course I'd rather be called the "IWC" than "smart marks." IWC at least doesn't sound like a passive aggressive insult. 

If you were doing a 'Worst Wrestler in the World' gimmick, would your ring name be Randolph Ziggleton?

You leave Macho Warrior Ric Hogan out of this.

I thought Vince renamed it the Internet Sports Entertainment Community.

I'm pretty sure he renamed us "the WWE Universe".

I think the term "IWC" no longer literally applies to the subsection of fans that read about wrestling on the internet. I think it has changed meaning to become shorthand for a particular brand of fan. The particulars of this hypothetical fan probably differ for everyone, but I would say it essentially boils down to a wrestling fan that is invested in the backstage politics of wrestling to the point that it colors their ability to enjoy the pro-duct as it is presented. 

Also, I have to think that in fighting amongst die hard fans of something on the internet is not exclusive to professional wrestling. I'm sure you could find almost any fandom, and if you took the time to dig, you'd see the same level of snark, the same condescension, and the same inane arguments play out. The internet has grown to the point where every fandom has a reddit, every fandom has a DVDVR, and every fandom has a PWO. Talking about the "IWC" as though it's problems are unique is disingenuous.  

The more likely way for this "IWC", as seen, would be like in that one theory about The Matrix.

You had the "regular" Matrix for the normal person who was in there- but for some people who saw how it really way, you had Zion, which was supposedly "the real world", but Zion was just a second level of The Matrix that the machines made so that some people thought they escaped, not knowing it was just a different level and they were still inside the Matrix.

This seems like a similar level- you have the "normal" mark casual fans, who just watch what they see and take it at face value, and then you have the "second level" of people who made it to smark Zion are the ones who want to know about backstage goings-on, who's being held back, who the talented workers and whatnot are, and are free from the "normal" level of the Matrix, but are still caught in the wrestling Matrix and can be worked in a different level of markdom than your casual fan is worked. Wrestling promotions know that you "think" you're free of being worked, but it's just a different level of being a mark instead of being free of the work.

Posting on message boards about wrestling is one thing but every fan I know whether they watch very little wrestling or tons of wrestling is at least aware of the most popular bits of news and rumors because you don't even have to go on a site or search them out. There's dozens of Facebook and Twitter accounts that spit out rumors, if you follow one of them, that's all it takes.

The more likely way for this "IWC", as seen, would be like in that one theory about The Matrix.

You had the "regular" Matrix for the normal person who was in there- but for some people who saw how it really way, you had Zion, which was supposedly "the real world", but Zion was just a second level of The Matrix that the machines made so that some people thought they escaped, not knowing it was just a different level and they were still inside the Matrix.

This seems like a similar level- you have the "normal" mark casual fans, who just watch what they see and take it at face value, and then you have the "second level" of people who made it to smark Zion are the ones who want to know about backstage goings-on, who's being held back, who the talented workers and whatnot are, and are free from the "normal" level of the Matrix, but are still caught in the wrestling Matrix and can be worked in a different level of markdom than your casual fan is worked. Wrestling promotions know that you "think" you're free of being worked, but it's just a different level of being a mark instead of being free of the work.

giphy.gif

Enraged isn't the word for how I'm feeling about this.  Pretty annoyed would be a better way to describe my reaction to this.  So what does Kevin do to justify being paid that much aside from be a shitty producer?  Did he hold a gun to Vince's head demanding he get paid more than anybody there?

needs more Bunkhouse Buck

Brie Bella then comes out in one of Bryan's flannel shirts and with Col. Parker, lays everyone out, and proclaims herself Bunkhouse Bella.

Goddammit, pal.  We're trying to put smiles on faces over here.  You're fired.

I'll tell you what to do with the yaks at the WrestleMania, baby!  Three-way with Charlotte defending against Banks and Lynch.  Banks okiedokes Lynch and steals the win.  Cuts a heel "Boss" promo the next night on Raw.  Bayley debuts and challenges her to go title vs. title that night.  She'll get a big reaction cause the place should be filled with chanty Europeans.  Paige interferes to keep Bayley from winning cause Paige first won the title in her debut the night after WrestleMania.  Lynch out for the save.  Charlotte out to lay out Lynch and then Flair pulls her away as Naomi runs out and hits Banks with her ass.

And then Brie Bella and Nattie Neidhart run out but are attacked from behind in the aisle by Tamina and Cameron who are unknowingly followed close from behind by the debuting Nia Jax who shitcans Cameron into the front row and then posts Tamina.  Jax stays in the aisle jawjacking with Naomi so Naomi doesn't notice Eva Marie sneaking into the ring behind her.  Eva Marie takes the Divas belt and brains Naomi with it and then she takes both belts and makes her way up the aisle with Jax.  On the stage Eva Marie looks at both belts before handing Jax the NXT belt and then holding up the Divas belt.

Then Zeb Colter makes his return driving his UTV from a few WrestleManias ago.  He chases Eva Marie down the ramp and around the ring and she exits off to the side of the stage.  Nia Jax is staring Zeb down and it looks like Zeb is going to run her over but from behind it's BUNKHOUSE BUCK and he places a white cloth over Jax' mouth.  He tosses the unconscious Jax onto the back of the UTV and Zeb and Buck drive off.

Later in the show, Renee Young is backstage when a limo pulls up.  Out pops Zeb, Buck, and the Colonel!  It's THE STUD STABLE!

R.Young:  Tennessee Lee?

R.Fuller:  Who?  Young lady have you been partaking in libations on the job?  I am Robert Fuller also referred to as The Colonel, the world's greatest wrestling promoter and a member of pro wrestling's greatest family!

RY:  Why are you at Raw and where is Nia Jax?

RF:  Now young lady, I'll tell you exactly why myself and The Stud Stable are gracing the WWE Universe with our presence.  I was sitting down at the ranch just enjoying the quiet life when I got a call about a television program called Fuller House.  Now I figured my brother Ron put together something nice about the family but when I took a look at it I just about had a conniption.  There wasn't any Fullers on that show much less any Goldens or Welches.  It was a bunch of nonsense about these little girls and all their ugly children.  So I called up Buck and my good friend Zeb and we came up with a fine idea.  We call it Fuller-Bunkhouse.  There's a hypen in there cause I'm Fuller and he's Bunkhouse, you see.  Fuller-Bunkhouse!  It's going to be a great reality television program about all our friends and family coming soon to the WWE Network.

RY:  What does any of this have to do with Nia Jax?

RF:  Now every reality show needs a big kickoff event.  Fuller-Bunkhouse is going to kick off with the wedding of Colonel Robert Fuller and Nia Jax!  Now as you can see, I'm a big tall man and I need a sturdy woman to carry my progeny.

RY:  Wha...?  And how does Nia Jax feel about this?

RF:  Well, she hasn't woke up yet but I'm sure she'll be thrilled when she hears the news.

Z.Colter:  This show's going to be great, Reba.  The Colonel and his blushing bride and future children, Buck and his son...

RF:  You got a son, Buck?  Well congratulations.  Here have a cigar.  He's probably a cute lil' fella.

B.Buck:  No.  Unfortunately he takes after his momma.

ZC:  As I was saying the first episode of Fuller-Bunkhouse is gonna be a bigger blowout than a Kardashian with diarrhea, Rebecca.

Eva Marie: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited.  I'm Nia's best friend so I know I'm going to be the maid of honor.  I better start planning right away.

RF:  We got a lot of planning to do too.  You have a pleasant evening, young lady.

ZC:  See you around, Rachel.

BB:  Here kid!  Thanks!

RY:  Fandango?  What is that?

Fandango: Chloroform.

RY:  Wha...?  Why do you have...?  What is going on around here?

• Like 4

Being in the IWC means you know to write pro-duct. 

My opinion is, anytime you try to group people together by labels, you are being narrow minded. There are all types of fans, be it on the Internet or not. Whether or not the Internet negatively affects my personal viewing pleasure can be looked at two ways. On one hand it may be true, but on the other I really believe without this site and "newz", I wouldn't be watching WWE at all. 

The other thing that remains amazing to me is that I know there is an IWC for everything, but the amount of wrestling websites, podcasts, message boards and stuff is totally insane. I am here with everyone else but it is still remarkable.