DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 3

Dolfan in NYC

There are 6 teams in the NHL who are worse than the Sabres after today's win vs the Peg. Progress!!! This will no doubt be the year we win the draft lottery and everyone's heads will explode.

I don't like this whole bottom 5 thing, it's a weird place to be as a fan. Not that the Jets previous few years as competitive but otherwise inconsequential was much better.

That Stanley Cup in 2019 we were promised cannot come soon enough.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

There are 6 teams in the NHL who are worse than the Sabres after today's win vs the Peg. Progress!!! This will no doubt be the year we win the draft lottery and everyone's heads will explode.

This seems like something that might anger Brian Burke, Figurative Hockey Cancer, so I'm fine.

I'd be happy anywhere in the top 3. I've braced myself for the Leafs winning, so I'm actually okay with that. I mentioned the Canucks earlier, but the only team I'd really be upset with winning the lottery would be the Flames.

Because fuck the Flames. Forever and ever.

Columbus is probably my second choice after the Jets. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for that team. Seems like they could become a good market, if they ever gave the fans there reason to care.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'm sorry DFA, but I'd be cool with anybody other than the Oilers. Shit ain't fair. If not the Nux, preferably da Jets then Leafs.

Yeah it's pretty unfair when teams that field their genuine best lineup that happens to be terrible that was mostly assembled by a previous management team that is no long here, doesn't win, better punish them at once.

Meanwhile last year Buffalo legit moved two goalies as punishment because they won hockey games (while the established media openly discussed and defended the value of match fixing to secure a better draft pick) and their fans openly applauded it and for reasons I cannot fathom their franchise was not banished to the KHL.

If people want to punish tanking, that's great, because I'm all for punishing the teams that have actually done it. It will help Edmonton a great deal, so let's do that.

The funny thing is the minute the OIlers get anywhere near a playoff spot, which is no longer theoretically impossible in a year or two, the anti-Oilers changes they made to the draft lottery to give near playoff misses a better shot... you just KNOW what will happen, right? It's destiny.

I've run quite a few of those draft lottery simulations over the last couple weeks and for some reason Carolina wins a lot on mine. Won't that really stick some ants into Sportsnet's pants. They are morbidly giddy about 7 Canadian teams being in the lottery and I have to admit a US team winning it would probably amuse me the most. Don't really care which one.

Also, fuck Sportsnet in general. They do so many things wrong with their production. It's mind boggling how mediocre so much of their material is, it could be so much more with just a little direction and actual effort. Things like having half the country on staff as hockey experts, yet when 2 games are on they will cram a pre-game for both into one show. Like... there is not a single Flames fan in Alberta that wants to see a Taylor Hall piece before a Flames/Sharks game. Not a single Oiler fan that wants to hear about Sean Monahan before an Oilers/Hawks game. Why is this a thing?

Other than baseball, watching stuff on Sportsnet makes me actively hate sports. Their production is so low rent and all their anchors and personalities are either grating as all hell or the most boring automatons ever, with no in between.

DFA, you see no problem in a team having the first overall pick five of the last seven drafts (should they get it this year)? That sounds A-OK to you? And how on earth was this year not an extension of the tank? What halfway decent acquisitions did they make? 

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

DFA, you see no problem in a team having the first overall pick five of the last seven drafts (should they get it this year)? That sounds A-OK to you? And how on earth was this year not an extension of the tank? What halfway decent acquisitions did they make? 

I honestly don't think the last few years there have been a tank, it's been incompetence. And the flipping out about them getting the pick last year was hilarious because they demanded a lottery and well, that's how the ping pong balls went.

Yeah, I hate the idea that they're gonna rig the lottery just because one team has happened to get lucky. It's a lottery, stuff like that is going to happen every once in awhile. Would the league really be that much different if Nail Yakupov was an Islander?

If we want to give other teams a chance at it, why don't we get rid of the lottery all together and just rotate? Every team gets the 1st pick every 30 years! (or 31...or 32...or whatever it ends up being)

Nail Yakupov has asked Edmonton for a trade, apparently, and the team has given him permission to shop himself to other teams.

Listen, it hasn't worked out, there's no defense of that. But he's a really great young man and I sincerely hope he gets his career back together anywhere but Vancouver or Calgary.

Basically my dream is to see Nail Yakupov score 30 goals for the Las Vegas Butts, slide on his knees to center ice screaming, while the PA plays Dead Kennedys - Viva Las Vegas with an arena display of lasers and showgirls.

This is what I want. This is the future I would craft if I was God.

• Like 3

God do I fucking hate the Penguins for fucking up everyone's dreams of a Isles-Rags war in the playoffs. Instead I'll get to pay $70 a game to see Isles-Panthers in a series that will set an NHL playoff record for empty seats.