DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 3

Dolfan in NYC

Would love to see an Isles-rags opening round series. Fans will actually be falling out of the upper deck of Barclays brawling each other and I'll have a back row seat. Flyers-Caps would also be fantastic for us fans of mayhem.

Yeah, the East is going to be a blast to watch during the playoffs. I have given 0 fucks about the season this year but the playoffs will pull me back in, particularly with the slightly more open/less grindy East. The Battle for New York and Washington vs. either Pittsburgh (gotdayum, they've had some great series throughout the Ovy/Sid era) or Philly would be mint. The Yzerman Cup mk II would be another great series. Hopefully it'll go seven again if that's what we end up with, but this time with closer games. Out west, if things remain as they are (unlikely), Anaheim/San Joez could be fun I suppose. I think the grindiness of NSH/LAK would be the equivalent of taking sandpaper to my eyes. Nashville isn't quite as bad as they used to be but it'll be like that LAK/STL series from a while back. Pass.

Would love to see an Isles-rags opening round series. Fans will actually be falling out of the upper deck of Barclays brawling each other and I'll have a back row seat. Flyers-Caps would also be fantastic for us fans of mayhem.

Judging by the attendance numbers at Barclays, I'd guess the series will be (up to) 7 home games for the Rangers. 

What should NBCSN be showing tonight:

Caps/Pens or Oilers/Sabres?

They are showing the former, should be the latter.

I'm actually glad they dropped our game so I can watch the MSG broadcast with RJ and Rayzor calling it. I HATE when the Sabres are the national game because it means no RJ.

Caps vs Pens is a traditional rivalry. Oilers vs Sabres includes a Canadian team, which does shit for ratings, and a couple of teams going nowhere this season.

We have the highest ratings of any team in America. That was the reason we were featured on national TV so much last year despite being arguably the worst non expansion team ever. So many people from WNY would tune it they would end up with a strong rating.

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of one of the single worst days in my entire life: Ron Francis, Ulfie and Grant Jennings to the Pens for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski (who would go on to be the most worthless player in Whalers history, even moreso than Sylvain Turgeon) and Jeff Parker. It was effectively the day hockey in Hartford died. I still remember sobbing uncontrollably when I got news of the trade.

Going to my first hockey game tonight. Kings/Canucks. I've been a casual Kings fan since the Gretzky/McSorely days (Marty is probably my favorite player of all time, only Luc is close) so it should be fun.

Judging by the attendance numbers at Barclays, I'd guess the series will be (up to) 7 home games for the Rangers. 

Revisiting this...  After yesterday, I think it would end up being 4 home games for the Rangers.  Just all losses.  

Yeesh.  What a heartbreaker. 

Jets/Oilers in the October Outdoor Classic next year (which could be winter in Winnipeg). Average ticket price for the weekend (alumni game and regular game)? 600 fucking bucks. Tie Domi better be beating the shit out of Wayne Gretzky, and Keith Tkachuk better be sitting on Paul Coffey to make this worth the money.

Jets/Oilers in the October Outdoor Classic next year (which could be winter in Winnipeg). Average ticket price for the weekend (alumni game and regular game)? 600 fucking bucks. Tie Domi better be beating the shit out of Wayne Gretzky, and Keith Tkachuk better be sitting on Paul Coffey to make this worth the money.

My advice having gone to an outdoor game: if you have to go cough up the dough and sit in a good seat otherwise you won't be able to see anything.

Time for Nordiques Nation to organise another boycott campaign (for those of you who don't remember one of the key thing that caused the WHA merger to go through was a Canada wide boycott of Molson as they owned the Habs and were blocking the merger).

So the Islanders decide to do a Halak mini helment giveaway on Tuesday for the first 10,000 fans. So I get there, go into Barclays and... nothing. I go to one of the reps and ask what happened? He tells me they were afraid people would throw them on the ice and were handing them out AFTER the game. There were 15,000 fans and 10,000 helmets. Perhaps you can see how this might be a problem after the game. Anyways I politely explained to the guy that by doing this they were going to cause a clusterfuck of epic proportions after the game. So with 4 minutes to go in the game I got out of dodge. They were handing them out outside the building, I got one and was on my way. I check the HF boards later and apparently the scene with everyone coming out of the building was every bit as ugly as I imagined it would be. There was a stampeed and a free for all that one guy described as being like a prison riot, and it was a miracle that nobody was seriously hurt. So basically the Barclays people are morons who created a situation that anyone with 10 seconds of thought could see would end up being ugly.

• Like 1