DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2016 Show thread

RIPPA

Biggest WTF moment for me was Ex Machina winning for Visual Effects.

Great movie, don't get me wrong, but how did Ex Machina win Visual Effects over Star Wars, Mad Max and The Martian?

?

Alicia's AVA is all nearly CGI mocap..  I'd have voted differently but it was a good call.

Highlights of the night:

-The look on the kid from 'Room''s face when C3P0 et al. were up on stage.  He's in this hugely dramatic film, he supposedly acted his lil' ass off (I haven't seen it yet), but this moment reminded me: he's just a little kid who still likes to watch 'Star Wars'.

This was a legit great moment in an otherwise horrible broadcast.

I wish they would use the time better. Did we really need Sarah Silverman wasting time with unfunny jokes? Some of the minor winners hugging it out when the should be up on stage, the tv people should say, "you have x seconds to get up there and give your speech, then we cut the mike. And I'm glad(sarcasm) that we had that cringy girl scout bullshit, so we have Inarritu being played off. But then again piss poor time management is nothing new for award shows. At least they don't have the idiotic best actress/actor nominees from the year before doing the awkward introductions in lieu of clips. . . I liked the show overall, but I didn't care for the crawl at the bottom of the screen. Plus it doesn't feel like the oscars without a good montage. . . .

See how for years, people said the Oscars lacked credibility because Al Pacino never won one? And in recent years, DiCaprio was in that Pacino spot where he'd never won one even though everyone thought he should have? Now DiCaprio has got his Oscar, which Actor/ Actress is primarily in the Pacino spot now? Ian McKellan?

Happy Leo won, more so Ennio Morricone. The work he did on the Dollars trilogy especially The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Amazing.

Disappointed Sly didn't win. Bollocks.

"The Writing's On the Wall"? Fucking seriously? Admittedly the whole category was pretty much a total write-off this year, but still, that's the WORST Bond theme song in several long years.

Going by that time frame, I'd say Die Another Day and Another Way to Die are worse than The Writing on the Wall. Die Another Day is the worst.

Biggest WTF moment for me was Ex Machina winning for Visual Effects.

Great movie, don't get me wrong, but how did Ex Machina win Visual Effects over Star Wars, Mad Max and The Martian?

Sara Bennett is the third woman to ever be nominated in the category and second to win. Sara Bennett also dropped the F bomb on live radio first thing in the morning on BBC Radio 5 Live saying it was "fucking crazy".

See how for years, people said the Oscars lacked credibility because Al Pacino never won one? And in recent years, DiCaprio was in that Pacino spot where he'd never won one even though everyone thought he should have? Now DiCaprio has got his Oscar, which Actor/ Actress is primarily in the Pacino spot now? Ian McKellan?

I wonder if Alan Rickman might get a posthumous nomination for his last film, Eye in the Sky out this year. Then again Alan Rickman was never nominated for an Oscar which is wow. 

Rickman is another of those guys where you'd expect he'd have had a nomination at the very least, at some point in his career. But look at Woody Harrelson, decades of fantastic performances, two losing Oscar nominations, and the only thing he's actually won is the Emmy for supporting actor in a comedy, for Cheers in 1989.

Apparently this year's ceremony drew it's lowest rating in years. I bet the Academy think that proves you shouldn't have a black guy hosting.

Paul Giamatti has to be at the top of the "Most Deserving And Never Won" list

Also, no Asian Actor/Actress has been nominated in 80 years.

Does Haing Ngor not count? Or do you just been the main acting categories? Not that one dude being nominated shatters your point or anything.

Paul Giamatti has to be at the top of the "Most Deserving And Never Won" list

Also, no Asian Actor/Actress has been nominated in 80 years.

When did Ken Watanabe not count as Asian?

I think the initial quote that Monte was talking about had to be talking specifically about Best Actress (since the only nomination was 1935)