DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2016 Show thread

RIPPA

I'm sure Spotlight is great, but it was just so weird after how that night went. Does it have the best directing, acting, costumes, production, editing, sound or effects? Apparently not, but it's the best picture. *mildly amused shrug*

Spotlight joins an exclusive yet dubious club: Least-Winningest Best Pictures. Not since 1952's The Greatest Show on Earth has the Best Picture only managed to win just one other award. EDIT: and holy shit, I forgot it was made by the same director whose previous film was The Cobbler, aka The Worst Film Ever Made By Adam Sandler.

Well, since that Alicia Keyes/Jack White disaster at least.

Nah, I actually went back and sampled that one and "Die Another Day" to see if my memory was messing with me. It wasn't. "The Writing's On the Wall" is the single worst Bond theme song since the Timothy Dalton era. It's absolutely incomprehensible that this managed to win, while "You Know My Name" wasn't even nominated in a year which was equally weak for classic soundtrack tunes.

Spotlight joins an exclusive yet dubious club: Least-Winningest Best Pictures. Not since 1952's The Greatest Show on Earth has the Best Picture only managed to win just one other award. EDIT: and holy shit, I forgot it was made by the same director whose previous film was The Cobbler, aka The Worst Film Ever Made By Adam Sandler.

Nah, I actually went back and sampled that one and "Die Another Day" to see if my memory was messing with me. It wasn't. "The Writing's On the Wall" is the single worst Bond theme song since the Timothy Dalton era. It's absolutely incomprehensible that this managed to win, while "You Know My Name" wasn't even nominated in a year which was equally weak for classic soundtrack tunes.

Both The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill have fantastic theme songs. What are you talking about?

Seriously, the only Bond theme songs I don't love are the silly Lulu and ridiculous Madonna songs.

• Like 1

I also went back and listened to some of them. Fuckin' terrible. Did the polar opposite of aging well, especially "License to Kill" being some easy-listening bullshit.

Gladys Knight crushed that song, man! I couldn't disagree more with you.

• Like 2

Highlights of the night:

-The look on the kid from 'Room''s face when C3P0 et al. were up on stage.  He's in this hugely dramatic film, he supposedly acted his lil' ass off (I haven't seen it yet), but this moment reminded me: he's just a little kid who still likes to watch 'Star Wars'.

-The CGI montage for 'The Martian' showing them adding a beard to Matt Damon at which point my sister said "Well now DiCaprio has to win Best Actor, at least he can grown his own beard!"

-EVERYONE in my family watching the Lady Gaga performance mis-hearing her song as being from the film 'Honey Pot' rather than 'Hunting Ground' while I was in the bathroom washing my hands and shouting "No! It was 'Hunting Ground'!" and having to rewind the show to show them at no point did Joe Biden say "Honey Pot" because they ALL heard 'Honey Pot'.

-Sacha Baron Cohen's line about being the token African-American, followed by Olivia Wilde completely no-selling it.

-The Weeknd being on the Oscars!

EDIT: and holy shit, I forgot it was made by the same director whose previous film was The Cobbler, aka The Worst Film Ever Made By Adam Sandler.

Not really fair to focus on that.  The Cobbler is the outlier, McCarthy's 4-for-5 as a writer/director.

What especially sucks is that a vastly superior "Spectre" theme song exists, and it's by Radiohead!!!

Whoever made that decision was just wrong.  We could've had a better song be the theme to the movie, we could've had Radiohead playing at the freaking Oscars, and Radiohead would definitely become Academy Award winners.  Just fails all around.  (except, I guess, that they actually did win the Academy Award for that Sam Smith crap).

Chris's monologue was brilliant!

DiCaprio finally has his statue.

Alicia Vikander got her first statue.

I'm good with that.

The Weeknd getting dissed at the Grammys and then getting beaten out by one of the worst Bond songs ever.

The Good Dinosaur getting snubbed for Best Animated Feature.

I'm not good with that.

Spotlight joins an exclusive yet dubious club: Least-Winningest Best Pictures. Not since 1952's The Greatest Show on Earth has the Best Picture only managed to win just one other award.

As an interesting side note, The Godfather only won three (Cabaret absolutely cleaned it's clock all night, setting the record for most wins without grabbing best picture.)

Only screenplay and Brando joined the best picture.

Did they forget Abe Vigoda on the Memorium bit?

He wasn't in it - that is for sure.

And Juliette Lewis tweeted about how disappointed she was that her Dad - Geoffrey Lewis - wasn't included

I think they only include people who died January-December of last year (thus why Nimoy was in it despite having died more than a year ago now).

Also, very glad Spotlight won.  It's so good and sad and shocking all at the same time.  

• Like 1

Spotlight justifies and destroys your faith in humans at the same time.  On one hand you have the organized and concerted effort by the Church to hide child molestation and even reward those who took part in the cover-up and then you have the reporters of the Boston Globe who went from "hey this is one helluva story!" to "let's take these people down no matter what it takes."

I think they only include people who died January-December of last year (thus why Nimoy was in it despite having died more than a year ago now).

Also, very glad Spotlight won. It's so good and sad and shocking all at the same time.

David Bowie and Alan Rickman say otherwise.