DVDVR Message Board

UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz (3/5/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

This CNBC interview is the GOAT of horribly planned out interviews.  "What is this, the fucking money channel?" seemingly made Conor's day.  "Send me a picture so I can see what ya look like lady" seemingly made the reporters day.

How this interview came to be is beyond me.

• Like 2

Oh, Tom. 

Did you see the article where Lawlor said the reason why he took this fight was he wanted to watch McGregor in person? Apparently for the last two Conor fights (in Vegas), Tom Lawlor (who lives in Vegas) couldn't get tickets.

The disclosed purses for tomorrow show McGregor getting $1 million, Nate getting $500k (no win bonus), and Holm getting $500k (no win bonus).

The UFC is a fucking scam.

Que?

How much do you think they're going to make on PPV revenue tomorrow? The star of the show, the one driving the bus is getting a measly $1 million. I don't feel comfortable giving that company money with the abject disdain they have for their fighters. 

How much do you think they're going to make on PPV revenue tomorrow? The star of the show, the one driving the bus is getting a measly $1 million. I don't feel comfortable giving that company money with the abject disdain they have for their fighters. 

When this whole thing is said and done, McGregor is getting well over $10 million. He got WAYYYYY more than $500k to fight Jose Aldo, dude. Like way more.

You actually think the UFC is just paying CONOR MCGREGOR of all people $1 million? Yeah, you got to reel it in a little bit and calm down.

• Like 1

Even with all of the bonuses, a $1 million baseline for their star is just ridiculous. And then there's Nate Diaz going from $40,000 to $500,000. I get that they have 239,563 fighters on their roster, but there should be a decent minimum line. I'm just tired of shady Fertittas and Dana screwing fighters over. And yeah, it's the fighters that aren't names that are the ones worst off of course. It gets my blood boiling. 

Like what do fighters pay in terms of gym fees for any half-decent camp? I can't picture that being cheap.

Even with all of the bonuses, a $1 million baseline for their star is just ridiculous. And then there's Nate Diaz going from $40,000 to $500,000. I get that they have 239,563 fighters on their roster, but there should be a decent minimum line. I'm just tired of shady Fertittas and Dana screwing fighters over. And yeah, it's the fighters that aren't names that are the ones worst off of course. It gets my blood boiling. 

Like what do fighters pay in terms of gym fees for any half-decent camp? I can't picture that being cheap.

What are you talking about, dude? GSP and Anderson were making millions when their reported purses were like below half a million. This is basically the same thing. The disclose payout is just the disclosed payout. They can write whatever. Guess what? Conor is still walking away with millions of dollars. You're reading way too much into this.

There's a middle ground here. But it's still valid that they don't compensate their fighters a fair percentage of their profit. The fact remains that you don't know how much money they are making as a company on these shows and you don't know the amount they're paying their fighters. The reason you don't know is because they don't want everyone to see how little the fighter pay is in relation to what they bring in.

• Like 2

There's a middle ground here. But it's still valid that they don't compensate their fighters a fair percentage of their profit. The fact remains that you don't know how much money they are making as a company on these shows and you don't know the amount they're paying their fighters. The reason you don't know is because they don't want everyone to see how little the fighter pay is in relation to what they bring in.

The thing is...what can you say about shows where they aren't any disclosed payouts. When you run Vegas month after month, yeah you're going to see reported payouts. However, if they were running on the east coast or the Southeast, are we having a conniption because no one publishes the payouts?

When you have people like Meltzer (and Savage) who know many times what guys are actually making vs. reported, I will hazard to say that a fair number of the prominent managers do as well. Now, do they know what to do with that information? Probably not often times.

So for a guy like McGregor to make millions, managers who are familiar with UFC contracts (shit Bellator copied their contracts) can pretty much formulate how he is getting those millions. This ain't 2005 anymore. We have to retire that talking point that no one knows what other people are making.

Dudes like John S. Nash, Paul Gift, and Erik Magraken are making their career over looking at the UFC business model, which includes UFC contracts. So for them to have access to pertinent information, there are going to be lots of other people with this information. So if the UFC is keeping all this hush hush, they ain't doing a good job at it.

Apparently they are because I've never seen an exact number. Not in these forums or others. You say Conor is making "well over $10 million." Well over is not a number. If it's not hush hush information you would be able to say he's making $18 million for this fight, not some fucking internet rumor number. You say GSP and Anderson were making "millions" but you have no numbers. My point is that you don't have an exact number because they don't want people to know the exact number.

• Like 1

Apparently they are because I've never seen an exact number. Not in these forums or others. You say Conor is making "well over $10 million." Well over is not a number. If it's not hush hush information you would be able to say he's making $18 million for this fight, not some fucking internet rumor number. You say GSP and Anderson were making "millions" but you have no numbers. My point is that you don't have an exact number because they don't want people to know the exact number.

Does it matter that you have those numbers? You're just some dude behind the computer like me. The journalists have those numbers (Meltzer has given out figures on the Observer shows for years). The managers have those numbers. The accountants have those numbers. Shit, Forbes and other sites are publishing salaries of GSP and Rousey. You think their googling old disclosed payouts like Ken Pavia back in the day? No, they're not.

Forbes must be making shit, up.

$12 million...JUST SOME INTERNET RUMOR NUMBER!

Every fighters manager of course knows the contract that they negotiated with their fighter. Outside of that, no journalists don't know shit. They spout the same non information that you just did- this guy is getting over x amount. That's not a number. Nobody is publishing shit, that's my point. The UFC prefers to operate under this model of having a disclosed fighter salary but then being able to say that isn't the top number and doesn't include ppv percentages, locker room bonuses etc and they do that for a reason. The reason is obvious. They don't want it to be public information. They don't want people to know the disparity.

Is $1 million the highest "reported" salary for a UFC fighter ever? I think I remember seeing Chuck or Anderson have like $600,000 or so before, but a million seems like the highest reported to date.

. Outside of that, no journalists don't know shit.

Paul Gift...law professor....doing a tremendous job covering the UFC anti trust lawsuit looking through pages upon pages of documents

...doesn't know shit

GOT IT!

Yeah, we're not taking this any further. You guys need to calm down. We're chilling out until I wake up tomorrow. That will allow you folks to assess and research things before you start speaking.

Is $1 million the highest "reported" salary for a UFC fighter ever? I think I remember seeing Chuck or Anderson have like $600,000 or so before, but a million seems like the highest reported to date.

I believe so.