DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2016 - ULTIMATE SURVIVAL

RIPPA

Some of this was originally written by Jae

DVDVR MARCH MADNESS 7

March Madness started in 2009. I think. It was a bit messy with more emphasis on madness. In the second year it became the sort of Wrestler of the Year competition though it really isn't.

For the third straight year, we include the world. (The first 4 years were only US/Canada folks).

For the first time ever - the field has expanded to 96 wrestler field. I say "wrestler" because it is Men, Women and Tag Team/Groups this year.

I know that a lot of you haven’t seen shit from a big chunk of these folks. I ask that you at least give each unknown a shot before voting. A match or two isn’t asking much and who knows maybe you’ll find something you can watch considering how many of you are hate watching the WWE.

RULES
Eligible Work is from March 1, 2015 - February 29, 2016

Generally speaking one votes based on a wrestler's performances over the last year. People are allowed to argue in favor or against any wrestler, as well as post any video evidence needed to back up said arguments. However don't take shit personally - this is all in good fun, and any trolling should be recognized as such. 

IMPORTANT: If you take things too far, or become too much of a nuisance - you'll be getting a time out. So if you're trolling and having a laugh- don't go over the line. If you're being trolled, wake the fuck up. Above all: Don't be an idiot. 

HALL OF CHAMPIONS

2010: Rey Mysterio (Runner Up: CM Punk)

2011: Daniel Bryan (Runner Up: CM Punk)

2012: Daniel Bryan (Runner Up: CM Punk)

2013: Daniel Bryan (Runner Up: CM Punk)

2014: Antonio Cesaro (Runner Up: Daniel Bryan)

2015: Shinsuke Nakamura (Runner Up: Rusev)

POLLS OPEN MONDAY, MARCH 1, 2016

• Like 1

HOW THE FIELD WAS DETERMINED/ORGANIZED

I started by looking at all the nominations (as I mentioned - over 160 names were given). Plus, I added folks myself that I thought were worthy.

I aimed to make a balanced field with the 96 best choices I had. I ended up making pools to organize who I had - basically of the folks I KNEW were going to be. After that - I did a little tweaking* to make even numbers. So it looked a little something like this

WWE - 20 spots

Lucha - 16 spots

Japan - 16 spots

UK/Other - 20 spots

Groups - 8 spots

Women - 8 spots

(* - both in the sense of adding a person if a group was say at 15 instead of 16. And in the sense of what "category" I considered people. Like Ricochet is in Other (though he could be Lucha). And AJ Styles is in WWE (instead of Japan), etc...)

That left 8 open spots - thus that created

The Last 8 - 8 spots (These could be from anywhere)

DETERMINING BYES - I needed 32 "top seeds". Balance again was the key - so I could evenly distribute seeds around the bracket

WWE - 8 seeds

Lucha - 4 seeds

Japan - 4 seeds

UK/Other - 8 seeds

Group - 4 seeds

Women - 4 seeds

A seeded wrestler COULD NOT be someone in the Last 8 or someone who missed significant time (though I probably fucked that part up). I then I did a random draw to determine spots on the bracket that were the same for all 4. (So like you will see the Women seeds on the same exact spot on each bracket)

The "unseeded" wrestlers were then placed into 4 pools and drawn into pre-determined spots (based on another random draw). Those pools were:

WWE & Groups

Lucha & 1/2 the last 8

Japan & 1/2 the last 8

UK/Other & Women

So yeah - y'all hate me now. 

(I also love the fact that instead of focusing on the 96 people who made it you really want me to tell you who the First 8 out were)

• Like 2

ANDRE THE GIANT BRACKET

If you are too lazy to watch the video

DAMIEN O'CONNOR (Big Damo) vs. AERO STAR

Winner meets ROMAN REIGNS

KONGO KONG vs. BIFF BUSICK

Winner meets TOMOAKI HONMA

VIRUS vs. KYLE O'REILLY

Winner meets ZACK SABRE JR

DALTON CASTLE vs. KATSUYORI SHIBATA

Winner meets BARBARO CAVERNARIO

DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. SAMI ZAYN

Winner meets FINN BALOR

MAXIMO (SEXY) vs. MINORU SUZUKI

Winner meets SASHA BANKS

JACK SWAGGER vs. LOW KI

Winner meets JOHN MORRISON

JOHN CENA vs. LA SOMBRA

Winner meets NEW DAY

• Like 9

JUMBO TSURUTA BRACKET

For those who don't watch the video  :(

JIMMY RAVE vs. FENIX

Winner meets KEVIN OWENS

JOHNNY GARGANO vs. TYLER BREEZE

Winner meets SHINSUKE NAKAMURA

RUSH vs. MATT SYDAL

Winner meets WILL OSPREAY

SAMI CALLIHAN vs. KAZUCHIKA OKADA

Winner meets DRAGON LEE

KENNY OMEGA vs. BARON CORBIN

Winner meets DEAN AMBROSE

ULTIMO GUERRERO vs. HIDEKI SUZUKI

Winner meets MEIKO SATOMURA

NEVILLE vs. BECKY LYNCH

Winner meets TIMOTHY THATCHER

WYATTS vs. KING CUERNO

Winner meets LUCHA DRAGONS

• Like 9

VILLANOS BRACKET

For those already sick of my voice

RODERICK STRONG vs. HECHICERO

Winner meets BROCK LESNAR

YUJI OKABAYSHI vs. AMERICAN ALPHA

Winner meets DAISUKE SEKIMOTO

TOMMASO CIAMPA vs. EC3

Winner meets RICOCHET/PRINCE PUMA

MICHAEL ELGIN vs. HIROSHI TANAHASHI

Winner meets KAMAITACHI

KOTA IBUSHI vs. DASH/DAWSON

Winner meets SAMOA JOE

RYOTA HONMA vs. TETSUYA NAITO

Winner meets IO SHIRAI

SHEAMUS vs. KIMBER LEE

Winner meets DAVE MASTIFF

USOS vs. MIL MUERTES

Winner meets THE BRISCOES

• Like 6

WILLIAM REGAL BRACKET

(No video yet because my editing software crashed. So tonight... though you won't care by then)

SPEEDBALL MIKE BAILEY vs. SHUJI ISHIKAWA

Winner meets AJ STYLES

ISAMI KODAKA vs. THE MIZ

Winner meets TOMOHIRO ISHII

KIARI HOJO vs TREVOR LEE

Winner meets CHRIS HERO

ASUKA/KANA vs. KUSHIDA

Winner meets NEGRO CASAS

JUN AKIYAMA vs. CESARO

Winner meets RUSEV

REY MISTERIO JR vs. DRAGO

Winner meets BAYLEY

SETH ROLLINS vs. EMMA

Winner meets MARTY SCURLL

CHRIS JERICHO vs. PENTAGON JR

Winner meets THE YOUNG BUCKS

• Like 4

Thanks for doing this again, Rippa! It seems like you put a lot of effort into this.

Man, the pick em tournament will be hard this year. It used to be that you already knew that Punk vs. Bryan would be the finals and you only had to figure out the rest.

There are a lot of stand-outs this year, but I think the board will be very divided many times.

Jesus, what a great tourney!  I am looking forward to being enraged!

NXT and Lucha Underground are really going to shape my voting this year.  I lurked in the nom threads but didn't post anything because I was pretty sure guys like El Dragon would have my back and they did not disappoint.  Pretty much everyone I wanted to get into the tournament made it.

The Pick 'Em Link works just fine.

Sad that three time winner Daniel Bryan was too injured to make one last run and retired ( I don't think he will unretire given his injury ) so that he won't be in anymore of these.  It is the end of an era.

I wonder how bad the vote rigging will be to make sure that Bayley wins this thing?

I only looked at the Steven Regal bracket so far since I'm not in a place where I can listen to Rippa's sweet tones... lets see what we got

ASUKA/KANA vs. KUSHIDA

Winner meets NEGRO CASAS

Oh FFFFF

REY MISTERIO JR vs. DRAGO

Winner meets BAYLEY

UUUUUUU!

CHRIS JERICHO vs. PENTAGON JR

Winner meets THE YOUNG BUCKS

OH FUCK YOU RIPPA!

SETH ROLLINS vs. EMMA

Winner meets MARTY SCURLL

And your horse!

• Like 1

Kong vs. Busick round one DAMN IT COME ON SHIT

EDIT: Dolph Ziggler: Supposed Stand-Up Comic LOLOLOL okay these videos with the commentary are the best. 

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm glad we're acknowledging that, while Kevin Owens was never U.S. Champ, he should have been.

Thanks again for running this, RIPPA. Added thanks for the videos announcing the brackets with the funny bios and voice over.

Now I'm off to do my PICK EM LINK. My highest ever placing was second missing out on top spot by one bloody point. Actually before I do, I hadn't considered whether to give it thought or wing it.

• Like 1

I guess I have to try and watch all of LU this weekend on DailyMotion. Which season(s) are eligible for the voting period again?

Everything from Season 1 - Episode 17 on until the episode that just aired this past Wednesday

Everything from March on. It's when it was aired, not when it was put together.

You can just focus on Cuerno, Fenix, Muertes, Puma, Pentagon, Drago, and Aerostar though, so that's good. Am I missing anyone there?

\

Mundo

I think I am not doing a ballot this year (which is always based on what I think the board will vote) and I'm just going to run with what I feel is best in my heart in my arguing. 

Rob or cubs or someone should list Non-LU AAA matches for the LU guys in AAA too. I have no idea how Cuerno looked in Fantasma matches, for instance.