DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY (Series 2) - HUMAN TORNADO

RIPPA

One guy retired from wrestling at the age of 26. One guy is dead. Welcome to the depressing world of wrestling...

Oh did I mention Tornado unretired? Welcome to retirements in professional wrestling.

I think I am the only person that knows that his gimmick name comes from the sequel to Dolomite.

On this board, i presume 2 or 3 people have blaxploitation knowledge on their resume.

Dolemite/Human Tornado is hardly an obscure reference in general.

I think I am the only person that knows that his gimmick name comes from the sequel to Dolomite.

On this board, i presume 2 or 3 people have blaxploitation knowledge on their resume.

Seriously, isn't that common knowledge?  His wrestling persona is that of a pimp, so I always thought the reference was obvious.

I did get a kick out of how one of his finishers was called the "DND" (dat nigga dead).

One guy is retired / unretired, one guy is dead, and the other guy nearly retired after having his front teeth shattered in a match.

Welcome once again to the depressing world of wrestling...

I actually didn't post this match because I felt it more harmed Black history month than honored it

Sadly, though it fits nearly perfectly in a pro wrestling environment.  I think we are all smart and wise enough to love the match for what it is without having our sense of taste enraged.  After all, the dude is using a 70's killer pimp gimmick.

If I wasn't able to do that, I'd probably never make it through an Ernie Ladd / Thunderbolt Patterson tag match.

I need a wrestler gimmcked as Petey Wheatstraw, the Devil's Son in Law, then I'll be impressed.  Shoot, Human Tornado, Texas Tornado, same thing . . .

Would he come to the ring holding a giant slice of watermelon?

vs Azriel

vs Joey Ryan

w/Disco Machine vs Joey Ryan and Karl Anderson

Dolemite/Human Tornado is hardly an obscure reference in general.

Seriously, isn't that common knowledge?  His wrestling persona is that of a pimp, so I always thought the reference was obvious.

Yeah, I totally forgot that everyone in the world has seen at least one killer pimp movie from the 70's.

• Like 1

I think I am the only person that knows that his gimmick name comes from the sequel to Dolomite.

Dude I've seen all kinds of obscure blaxplo. I've seen The Candy Tangerine Man. I've seen The Black Gestapo. I've seen Sweet Jesus, Preacherman. I'm more than familiar with the ouvre of the late great Mr. Moore.

Hell, I've seen Welcome Home, Brother Charles. That's some shit you can't unsee. 

I think I am the only person that knows that his gimmick name comes from the sequel to Dolomite.

Dude I've seen all kinds of obscure blaxplo. I've seen The Candy Tangerine Man. I've seen The Black Gestapo. I've seen Sweet Jesus, Preacherman. I'm more than familiar with the ouvre of the late great Mr. Moore.

Hell, I've seen Welcome Home, Brother Charles. That's some shit you can't unsee. 

I love me some blax and have seen everything you mentioned, but I am not sure who would want to watch Welcome Home, Brother Charles on purpose.

Go with Ganja & Hess instead aka the best vampire film not named Dracula or Let The Right One In.  Or better yet, watch Cool Breeze and marvel how the producers of Point Break did not get sued for copyright infringement.

I think I still have That Man, Bolt somewhere on bootleg.

Sweet Jesus, Preacherman is not that obscure.  That shit was on Bounce two months ago.

Disco Machine and Human Tornado were the best thematically themed tag-team that never had a real run anywhere.

I love me some blax and have seen everything you mentioned, but I am not sure who would want to watch Welcome Home, Brother Charles on purpose.

Jamaa Fanaka completism...

Speaking of which, I kinda wish Rips would give Haiti Kid WOTD so I could post his scenes from Penitentiary III...

• Like 1

• RIPPA unpinned this topic