DVDVR Message Board

NHL Offseason Part 2

Death From Above

So other than Phoenix getting new ownership, The Leafs paying out $10 million for some depth players, Illya Kovalchuk walking away from over $70 million dollars and fucking the Devils, Jeremy Roenick blowing up on Twitter over that, the Oilers actually getting rid of Sean Horcoff's awful contract, Tyler Seguin getting traded, Alex Burmistrov taking his ball and going home because he isn't any good, and a new class of Hall of Fame inductees... pretty much nothing happened while the board was gone.

Well I suppose I have some questions for our Western Canadian contingent, won't I?

Blues lines at the moment, if I guessed.

Schwartz-Backes-Tarasenko

Steen-Roy-Stewart

Paajarvi-Berglund-Oshie

Sobotka-LaPierre-Reaves

Porter/Cracknell

Bouwmeester/Pietrangelo

Jackman/Shattenkirk

Leopold/Polak

Cole

Halak

Elliot

Hard to complain.

It's hard to know what Paajarvi is yet because he really hasn't had much opporutinity in Edmonton. He was struggling to get playing time before Yakupov showed up (he is just a kid after all, we've got into this weird mindset where people actually expect 19 year olds to be NHL ready) and that sealed the deal there.

This has been an insane summer for the league. Don't like the Perron trade but they needed to shed salary. Paajarvi's AHL numbers are pretty bad though, particularly when everybody was scoring points like they were half off during the lock-out in OKC. Perron will do wonders for Edmonton, I'm surprised they couldn't get more value for him.

Got to lol @ Nonis' summer. He mentioned David Bolland's, of 27 years, junior stats from 7 years ago to justify that deal. MacArthur and Grabovski were excellent possession players, but let's get rid of them and sign a 29-year-old power forward to a 7-year deal just before he hits the age when PFs typically decline. Oh, and Bozak. Just when I lose faith in Gillis, Nonis and other GMs show me how bad it can really be.

When does Aquilini hire Trader Phil as GM? Or is Gilly doing Rosetta Stone Italian?

Roy @ $4 mill is a sweet deal for St. Louis. Huge upgrade on McDonald for you guys. I'm thinking St. Louis will be up there with LA and Chicago at the top of the West if Pietrangelo doesn't suck defensively this year.

And DFA forgot to mention Alfredsson. So good. The Ryan swap is fascinating and could work out really well for both sides if Ottawa can re-sign Bobby da brain.

The Clarkson signing is so hilarious because the WENDEL CLARK thing started like 3 seconds later and this is going to end in so many tears.

I knew I was missing something. Alfredsson bolting to the antichrist at the death sounds just about perfect for him.

Bobby Ryan will outscore Clarkson by 100 goals in their mutual time in Ontario if they both stay, so there's also that.

Here's what Quebec was offered from the Rangers for Lindros in '92:

Tony Amonte, Doug Weight, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, John Vanbiesbrouk and $20 million in cash.

I think that Quebec would've had to include Chris Simon and a 2nd as part of the deal. How that would've changed the '90s... Stevens still probably drills Big E at one point or another if he's with the Rags, though.

Wasn't Simon one of the guys they got from the Flyers? I don't think Quebec even had him.

Yes! You're right.

I can't think of a player getting the equivalent of either of those deals today. Not even Crosby back in '05. Though, between the two deals, I'd go with New York's and I absolutely love Foppa. 

It can't even happen now because of the salary cap really. I mean the Rangers offer, Amonte I can't remember if he was a star or not yet. Kovalev came over with a ton of hype. Weight was just a prospect then, though obviously he turned out great. Beezer was a guy good enough to start and get Florida into a final. Plus all the 1st rounders they would have got... there's no way to even figure how that works in a cap world. They would have had to pull a post-Cup Blackhawks thing and fire sale half of what they got in like three years.

It's one of the things that has me down on the cap system is that it really limits what kind of lunacy you can produce through trades anymore. Trade deadline day has never had the drama it used to in a cap world, even if the Lindros thing was once in a lifetime and you're not going to see THAT again. But it's still pretty vanilla now.

Amonte was just under PPG as a rookie and Weight was a solid prospect putting up good numbers in the A and NHL prior to the proposed trade. That's not mentioning the $15 or $20 million included in both offers. Ridiculous value but Lindros was supposed to be the best player of all time.

I'm pumped for FHM '14. It's still in the beta stage but it's getting fairly close to playable and they're going to be adding online support after release. Early '90s online league would be soooo amazing.

Another nice nostalgia trip: NHLnumbers.com is doing a review of the NHL draft from the first entry draft in '79 all the way to '09. Really cool. Who's your favourite '90s bust? Double O Tverdovsky was bad ass for a while but certainly didn't live up to the hype. Yashin had a better career than I remembered and even Daigle had a few useful years.

My premise would be that they built up a pretty deep team in terms of assets but mortgaged the future for that one cup in 1994.  If you look at all the mismanagement during that year and beyond, it parallels to what WCW did when they were beating WWF.

There's stuff that helped them win the cup (in theory) like trading Tony Amonte for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan.  Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen.  To a lesser extent, Todd Marchant for Craig MacTavish and Mike Gartner for Glenn Anderson.  They should have been able to build a team that won consistently. 

After the Cup win, they kept doing trades to acquire "big names" and signing big names.  They traded Sergei Zubov and Petr Nedved for Robitaille & Samuelsson.  Zubov was 25!  It's bad enough when you focus on the trades they did make without going into the ones that they didn't make, like being unwilling to part with Manny Malhotra in order to get Pavel Bure from Vancouver.

Bringing in Gretzky propped up this terrible strategy for a year because Gretz had that underrated playoffs in 1997.  Bringing in Gretz might be like WCW bringing in Bret Hart, getting that one great buyrate out of him then wasting away his last few years.

• Like 1