DVDVR Message Board

NHL Offseason Part 2

Death From Above

I'd hope that Thomas only plays around 35-40 games at absolute most. If he plays as many as 65 then the Panthers are fucked.

I don't think Markstrom was bad last year, the team was awful and he was by far and away the Panthers best goalie. Not too many young goalies would've done better with what the Panthers iced last year. He's only 23 and it was his first "full" season in the NHL so I'll give him a break.

That means nothing when your other options were Clemmensen and Threeormore. He was particularly bad in his first handful of call-up games, but he did improve a little bit towards the end of the season. I think he showed he wasn't ready yet for the NHL, at least not as a starter. I had a shit tonne of free time last year and watched way too many TBL/Panther games. I'm going to miss not being able to watch as many Phoenix games with Bronald Cherry up in that bitch. Still ordered centre ice but won't be putting as much time in as last season.

I get the feeling, and this is completely me going by my gut (who is often wrong), that the Canucks are going to be keeping their eye on the waiver wire this weekend and possibly grabbing a guy or two off there and sending Horvat and Shinkaruk back, but that's just me.

I was wrong about the waivers, but right about Vancouver picking up guys.  Canucks trade Kellan Tochkin and a 4th for Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh from the Hurricanes.

Speaking of the east and goalies, Garth Snow sucks. He had one job, get a goalie that can post NHL competent numbers for more than 20 games and he re-signed Nabokov. I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs this year.

I actually think Nabokov and the Islanders are a good fit together. As a young team on the rise they benefit from having a veteran goalie who has plenty of post-season experience. And I like how he had such an attitude about joining the Isles originally but now has begrudgingly been part of the process of them becoming a playoff contender. I'll admit I thought it would play out awfully at first, but in the long run I think it's a relationship that benefits both sides.

I get the feeling, and this is completely me going by my gut (who is often wrong), that the Canucks are going to be keeping their eye on the waiver wire this weekend and possibly grabbing a guy or two off there and sending Horvat and Shinkaruk back, but that's just me.

I was wrong about the waivers, but right about Vancouver picking up guys.  Canucks trade Kellan Tochkin and a 4th for Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh from the Hurricanes.

Sounds like Dalpe will get a chance and they just took Welsh because they can afford to bury his contract while Carolina can't.

Sounds like Dalpe will get a chance and they just took Welsh because they can afford to bury his contract while Carolina can't.

Welsh was pretty sought after coming out of college, I know the Oilers were in on him at the time, I wonder if the Canucks were as well.

Speaking of the east and goalies, Garth Snow sucks. He had one job, get a goalie that can post NHL competent numbers for more than 20 games and he re-signed Nabokov. I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs this year.

I actually think Nabokov and the Islanders are a good fit together. As a young team on the rise they benefit from having a veteran goalie who has plenty of post-season experience. And I like how he had such an attitude about joining the Isles originally but now has begrudgingly been part of the process of them becoming a playoff contender. I'll admit I thought it would play out awfully at first, but in the long run I think it's a relationship that benefits both sides.

This was true for the first half of the shortened season, then it became a gong show if memory serves me correctly. He was the Islanders' achilles heel against Pittsburgh in the first round. I thought they had a legitimate chance of beating Pittsburgh if they didn't have a goalie of their own to match Fleury's poor play.

This was true for the first half of the shortened season, then it became a gong show if memory serves me correctly. He was the Islanders' achilles heel against Pittsburgh in the first round. I thought they had a legitimate chance of beating Pittsburgh if they didn't have a goalie of their own to match Fleury's poor play.

I can tell you from watching him first hand that Nabokov is awful. Isles could've made themselves a serious contender if they could've found a solid goalie this offseason. I still say they should've taken a flier on Tim Thomas because he's delivered with the money on the line. Another option would be to trade with us for Miller because I can still see him being real good in the right situation and we all know he's on his way out of WNY. I still think Miller gets shit on unfairly by a lot of people who expect him to be the best in the world at his position like he was at one point, but I think a lot of it has to do with the Sabres being a bad team where you could have Bernie Parent in his prime in goal and it wouldn't make a difference.