DVDVR Message Board

NHL Offseason Part 2

Death From Above

Some official NHL twitter feed has been telling everyone Lundqvist should be the #1 fantasy goalie in the league.

This is the Rangers that are now in a division with the Penguins, Capitals, Flyers, Hurricanes, and that Tavares guy.

Me, I have Jon Quick and laughed my ass off.

In terms of GAA it could even be Rinne, just because other than Chicago that might not be the most explosive division. It's not like Nashville are in any hurry to change their strategy of winning every game 1-0 or 2-1.

Lundqvist will still have a ton of wins but the GAA has to be going up, there's just no way it doesn't with the teams he will see the most of.

Watched about 5 minutes of the Phoenix preseason game and the first period against Edmonton last Saturday... how have Shinkaruk and Horvat looked? Huntah had that nice top cheddar goal in one of the first games but how has he actually played? Do either look remotely ready?

Shinkaruk probably has a better shot since they need offense and he's a winger.  Horvat hasn't looked out of place from what I've seen.  They could probably bring him along like Kesler but they shouldn't expect a ton of offense out of him right away.  He looks like he can hang defensively, though.

I get the feeling, and this is completely me going by my gut (who is often wrong), that the Canucks are going to be keeping their eye on the waiver wire this weekend and possibly grabbing a guy or two off there and sending Horvat and Shinkaruk back, but that's just me.

I get the feeling, and this is completely me going by my gut (who is often wrong), that the Canucks are going to be keeping their eye on the waiver wire this weekend and possibly grabbing a guy or two off there and sending Horvat and Shinkaruk back, but that's just me.

Wouldn't be shocked if that's the case and there are usually one or two quality players available at this time of year. With Bo not even getting 10 minutes with both Henrik and Kesler in the line-up, it doesn't make much sense for him to stay up. Shinkaruk could go either way. Don't think he'd last a full season, so may as well avoid burning a year off his ELC.

Someone in the Edmonton media was saying last night that with Gagner and RNH on the shelf Edmonton should put in a call to Kyle Wellwood. As emergency replacements at center go, really you could do a lot worse.

Also, Ryan Whitney got released from his tryout with the St. Louis Blues. Not surprised given the lack of worth ethic he showed in Edmonton, never thought he'd be a fit with fat drillmaster Hitchcock.

I honestly wonder how many games they get out of him. I mean he did lose his job to Rask that one season, then got it back again, then took a break.

Should be interesting to see if Markstrom can push him or not, I guess assuming they aren't using Clemmensen. If they just push Markstrom back into the minors that doesn't say much for what they think of their supposed franchise prospect.

Someone in the Edmonton media was saying last night that with Gagner and RNH on the shelf Edmonton should put in a call to Kyle Wellwood. As emergency replacements at center go, really you could do a lot worse. Also, Ryan Whitney got released from his tryout with the St. Louis Blues. Not surprised given the lack of worth ethic he showed in Edmonton, never thought he'd be a fit with fat drillmaster Hitchcock.

He was just here in case A: Petro didn't sign before the year or B: We had an injury in camp. The biggest positional weakness on the team is lack of depth at RHD: If Petro, Kirk, or Polak go down, we have very little to replace them.

I honestly wonder how many games they get out of him. I mean he did lose his job to Rask that one season, then got it back again, then took a break.

Should be interesting to see if Markstrom can push him or not, I guess assuming they aren't using Clemmensen. If they just push Markstrom back into the minors that doesn't say much for what they think of their supposed franchise prospect.

Clemmensen from all reports is going to either be bought out or sent to San Antonio. I can't envision any scenario in which Markstrom is playing in the AHL this season with the big club using Thomas and Clemmer. Now with that said I'll probably be proven wrong because the Panthers are still the Panthers until further notice. I'm hoping (assuming) that the Thomas signing is just to provide some type of veteran mentor or something for Markstrom and be a competent back-up since Clemmensen is/was horrible.

No way is he able to play as aggressively as he did in Boston with Big Z. He's two years older and when he can't come out of his crease 10 feet, he's a li'l goalie with lots to shoot at. Markstrom wasn't any good last year, so this could be bad for Florida and its 7 fans we've counted.

Speaking of the east and goalies, Garth Snow sucks. He had one job, get a goalie that can post NHL competent numbers for more than 20 games and he re-signed Nabokov. I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs this year.

I'd hope that Thomas only plays around 35-40 games at absolute most. If he plays as many as 65 then the Panthers are fucked.

I don't think Markstrom was bad last year, the team was awful and he was by far and away the Panthers best goalie. Not too many young goalies would've done better with what the Panthers iced last year. He's only 23 and it was his first "full" season in the NHL so I'll give him a break.