DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

I'm in the "Roman is good but is being destroyed by the shitty booking of an out of touch ego-maniac" camp. Roman CAN have a good match. His work in the Shield shows that he does have the ass-kicker charisma to be effective as a main event talent. He is the victim of an old man's hubris and a writing staff that hates pro-wrestling.

• Like 1

Shane McMahon returning is sort of interesting from the perspective that they are doing the whole worked shoot thing, but how does this really benefit WWE in the long-run?  This just seems to be the same McMahon family program they've been running for 15+ years, and the same power struggle.  

How does The Undertaker program work here?  You are doing WrestleMania 32 in Texas and you are now essentially booking the Undertaker in a throwaway match.  OK so Shane McMahon is going to another garbage bump machine match?  Why though?  Dude's not in his 30s anymore, why risk the brain damage?

It's not a throwaway match. Depending on who you ask, it's either the most important or second most important match on the card. It has implications for future storylines. A throwaway match for 'Taker would be pairing him with, I don't know, Dolph Ziggler for no reason other than you want the Undertaker on the 'Mania card. C'mon.

EDIT: I also lol'd pretty hard at the thought that the Divas title match won't get over huge with the ultra smarky WrestleMania crowd. Sasha will get a pop that will rival Triple H, I'm calling it now. And when she wins? Forget about it, if there was a roof to JerryWorld (that'll be active anyway), it'll be blown off. They aren't booked the best, sure, but that Divas match will steal the show, especially if Hunter has anything to say about it.

I'm in the "Roman is good but is being destroyed by the shitty booking of an out of touch ego-maniac" camp. Roman CAN have a good match. His work in the Shield shows that he does have the ass-kicker charisma to be effective as a main event talent. He is the victim of an old man's hubris and a writing staff that hates pro-wrestling.

I hear you on this. The only counter-point I would make is, in what way would people say that Ambrose's booking has been any better, and he is now and has been in the past way more over than Reigns. I am not saying he is junk, but he just doesn't seem to connect with the crowd. 

The only difference between Reigns and Lex Luger is for me at least, when I was a kid I wanted Luger to beat Ric Flair.

If they did the exact same type of trajectory with Reigns as with Luger (meaning he's not world champion for a while to come but he's still in the upper main event), they would not be in the spot they are in right now. In 1988, I liked Lex Luger. I wanted to see him win the world title from Ric Flair. But in retrospect would that have been the right thing to do? No. Could you imagine them hot shotting the title onto Luger back and forth like they did to Reigns? Luger's career would have been over in five years. That's the WWE's problem in a nutshell. They are too desperate to rush things. Reigns might have been ready for all of this in another year or so. But Vince was all NO DAMN ITS NOW. YOU PEOPLE WILL TAKE IT NOW AND LIKE IT.

I have nothing against Roman Reigns (well, the swat team look needs to go). But he's going to flame out and it's not his fault.

Luger probably should have won at the Bash and if necessary lost it back to Flair at Starrcade 88, The rematches with Flair probably would have drawn just as well (the series in 88 actually drew really well so it is hard to say) plus Lex could work with Arn, Tully and Barry Windham. Providing the Road Warrior still turn, he could defend against them. 

Lex also should have won the belt at Capital Combat 90.

Lex actually stayed really over for a guy who got fucked over so much.

• Like 2

I think as a true main eventer by himself, Reigns and all the Shield guys are fucked. WWE has managed to kick the can as far as they can, but they are at the end. Now they are going to have to live with the fact they made no new main eventers in a decade to spite Brock Lesnar for leaving in 03.

• Like 2

I LOVE Zayn and I think kids will love him too but the question is does he have the LOOK Vince would want?  Vince hated the way Christian looked, I don't imagine he's a super fan of Sami.

It was all downhill for Sami after Vince asked someone to explain ska to him.

• Like 3

I have theories, but they're admittedly far-fetched.  I don't think it says anything more than Reigns is a heat magnet right now.  I have nothing against Eva Marie, but I'm not sure she can even spell wrestling.  It's not a direct comparison, but a feeling of all this taking a life of its own--similar to the NXT/Eva Marie situation.

WWE is usually quite hamfisted. There have been a few nice subtleties over the years but generally not nearly how subtle this would have to be if it were intentional.

Why would they have him beat up Vince a bunch the past few months if they were trying to intentionally get people to hate him? They haven't even done a good job of corralling the hardcore fans' hate for him.

I LOVE Zayn and I think kids will love him too but the question is does he have the LOOK Vince would want?  Vince hated the way Christian looked, I don't imagine he's a super fan of Sami.

In all fairness, anyone who has ska explained to them will think less of Sami. 

• Like 3

WWE is usually quite hamfisted. There have been a few nice subtleties over the years but generally not nearly how subtle this would have to be if it were intentional.

Why would they have him beat up Vince a bunch the past few months if they were trying to intentionally get people to hate him? They haven't even done a good job of corralling the hardcore fans' hate for him.

Well Vince woul not be the onee trying to get him hated. This would be people slightly lower on the hierarchy.

Reigns was getting booed loudly by the plethora of ugly white guys with bad beards. Who are louder than the chicks and kids who were cheering him. These are the same dudes who were actually doing "Goldberg" and "Gillberg" chants at Ryback. These zeroes outnumbered the kids cause I'd imagine most parents wouldn't take their kids to a fucking shithole like Detroit. And fuck the Red Wings, too.

• Like 3

With Taker coming back next week, I really hope Shane does more of his worked shoot stuff  (like talking about how RAW has been tanking in the ratings, everyones injured) with him. Can you imagine the look he'll get when he looks at him and he says something like "Come on deadman...you can cut the supernatural crap with me". I mean I'd love it if he pissed off Taker so much it morphed him back to American Badass Taker because the only way this match will be good is if it's an insane fight and Taker is at his best talking about his yard and dishing soup bones and such.

• Like 1

I hear you on this. The only counter-point I would make is, in what way would people say that Ambrose's booking has been any better, and he is now and has been in the past way more over than Reigns. I am not saying he is junk, but he just doesn't seem to connect with the crowd.

Dean wasn't told to lay in the ring and cry on-camera after losing his belt that he'd just won.

GOD DAMMIT SO IT'S LIKE REGGAE PLUS POLKA?  I DON'T GET IT

• Like 3