DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

Craig, it's not that he wasn't pushed right, it's that he doesn't have the skillset to be the guy. At best, he's about at the level Cena was at in the ring when he first got the rocket strapped to him, but in his sleep he is more charismatic and a better promo than Roman.

Here’s my attempt at a history of Roman Reigns from the Shield days to present day. In spoiler tags for size:

The Shield are over, one of the greatest factions of all time putting on great matches. The Shield makes a memorable debut in their official match, a TLC match against Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback at TLC 2012 PPV.

At Extreme Rules 2013, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins end the long WWE Tag Team Title reign of Daniel Bryan/Kane. Dean Ambrose wins the WWE United States Championship also on the show.

Roman Reigns was the sole survivor in a traditional Survivor Series match eliminating four of the other team to cheers at Survivor Series 2013.

Roman Reigns breaks Kane’s long record of most Royal Rumble eliminations in a single match in the 2014 Royal Rumble match to cheers eliminating 12 and is the runner-up to Batista.

The Shield and the Wyatt Family have one of the best matches in WWE history at Elimination Chamber 2014.

Seth Rollins turns on the Shield in June 2014 and the Shield ends.

Roman Reigns wins the 2015 Royal Rumble match but unlike the year before is booed. Remember The Rock’s reaction to the boos when lifting Roman’s arm in victory?

Reigns puts his title shot on the line against Daniel Bryan at Fastlane 2005. People want Bryan to win but he doesn’t.

Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the main event of WrestleMania XXXI is turned into a Triple Threat match as Seth Rollins successfully cashes in his Money in the Bank shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. This is one of the best WrestleMania matches of all time.

Roman wins the WWE World Heavyweight Championship for the first time at Survivor Series but quickly loses it as Sheamus cashes in his title match.

In the storyline, The Authority has it in for Roman Reigns not wanting him to be WWE World Heavyweight Champion yet he’s got the look WWE likes. This is in contrast to Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon and Daniel Bryan vs. The Authority where it’s believable.

In a TLC rematch at TLC 2015, Roman doesn’t regain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Reigns does leave to cheers as he assaults Triple H repeatedly.

Roman Reigns becomes a two time WWE World Heavyweight Champion on RAW beating Sheamus and laying out Vince McMahon with a Superman punch. Roman is cheered as the match progresses and his celebration.

In the Royal Rumble match, Roman’s WWE World Heavyweight Championship is on the line. Reigns is the #1 entrant and is already breathing heavy while waiting for AJ Styles, the #3 entrant making his WWE debut. Reigns is taken out by the League of Nations and walks to the back injured. This in contrast to Kevin Owens who had a grueling Last Man Standing match with Dean Ambrose to start the show limps down to take part in the Royal Rumble match. Reigns returns later on and is eliminated by Triple H to cheers who goes on to win the belt. This is another short WWE World Heavyweight Championship reign for Reigns.

Fastlane 2016 has a Triple Threat main event between Reigns vs. Lesnar vs. Ambrose with the winner going on to face Triple H for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the WrestleMania XXXII main event. The least popular man in the match, Roman wins after quickly brushing off Lesnar’s Kimura/chairshots to the back by Ambrose, pinning Ambrose with a Spear.

If you wanted to see Randy Orton vs. Batista in the main event of WrestleMania XXX as it was originally going to be for the crowd reaction only, you’re going to get it with Triple H vs. Roman Reigns at WrestleMania XXXII. This will be like Triple H’s main event at WrestleMania 22 in Chicago when Trips was loudly cheered, and John Cena booed but worse as WrestleMania XXXII is in a much bigger building.

Triple H lays out Roman Reigns with a bell to the throat, driving his head into the announcers table, bloodies Roman and Pedigree’s Roman on the steel steps all to “Yes!” cheers the day after on RAW.

Not forgetting crappy promos for the most part. Tater tots anyone?

Thoughts?

I dip into this stuff because I want to like the modern product so much.  The opening segment was 25+ minutes.  Claw my eyes out.  This booking is confusing.  When would you say WWE "lost the plot"?  Why won't they just make Reigns a heel if everybody hates him? (that's like one of those questions you ask but already know the answer)

• Like 1

This makes perfect sense. If Shane wins, he controls the company and Undertaker clearly doesn't want to lose and leave Vince up shit creek because he doesn't want the streak to be ove... oh, wait.

No Kevin Owens this week either. Looks like he'll be saddled in another Ziggler match down the card in Dallas for the 212th time this year, presumably because Y2AJ will most probably carry on until Jericho turns on him and they do another match at Mania.

Oh good....three McMahon's and the son-in-law were on tv. Is Linda going to show up too?

I didn't watch, but even reading about McMahon's all being the focus of the show together gives me the cold sweats.

Mania is going to be a shit show of the highest order.

I have a picture in my head of Brock and Ambrose backstage whenever they found out about their match and one or both of them saying "lets just tear the fucking house down in Texas".

I have no interest in any of the other shit that went down last night.

• Like 1

I don't think Roman has the John Cena skill set, but he did have a Goldberg-lite skill set that could have worked if main events weren't forced to do the in ring promos and backstage segments. He's got a natural coolness when beating people down too, but he rarely beats people down and wins.

At this point being a constant main eventer needs to get thrown out the window, but I'm worried this is where they go all in on him winning the title at WM. He is nowhere near being the guy aside from his size.

I dip into this stuff because I want to like the modern product so much.  The opening segment was 25+ minutes.  Claw my eyes out.  This booking is confusing.  When would you say WWE "lost the plot"?  Why won't they just make Reigns a heel if everybody hates him? (that's like one of those questions you ask but already know the answer)

I was flipping back and forth during the commercials of the Miami bball game and I couldn't believe that opening segment went on past 8:30. 25+ minutes of McMahons talking about their legacy and who should control the company. That'll bring back the viewers.

Reigns is getting booed out if the building.

Ambrose is liked by the crowds, but not nearly as much as Brock is.

Triple H and Brock both get "one more time" chants for brutalizing them.

Shane is the biggest babyfaces in the company.

WrestleMania is sure looking... Uh, interesting?

• Like 2

I was flipping back and forth during the commercials of the Miami bball game and I couldn't believe that opening segment went on past 8:30. 25+ minutes of McMahons talking about their legacy and who should control the company. That'll bring back the viewers.

But the fans in the arena were white hot for it's entirety and the general consensus on social media is positive, it worked regardless if you're a McMahon loather or not. 

Plus Shane busted out the Chi 1's, so it was great.

Only the McMahons would use Vince's grandkids to establish face/heel structure

I HAD BOYS!

YAY!

SHE HAD GIRLS!

BOO!

When Shane was going on with that nonsensical "generations" crap, I swore he was about to get at this more directly before being interrupted. "Dad, what's wrong with you? You know you can't let those GIRLS inherit anything! They'll GIRL it up and ruin it with their inferiority!"

I just imagine Robin Williams going "What YEAR is it?" (Was that game where Shane was all those years?)

You know, if Triple H hadn't done all those steroids and messed up his body's natural testosterone production, Steph could have had boys too. Although if he'd never done the steroids he'd probably never had gotten Steph's hand in marriage in the first place.

• Like 1