DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

At what point does the idea of pushing a guy to the top that the fans hate and want no part of because, at some point in the future, he'll be the guy the fans love and want more of stop making any God damn sense?  And how long ago did the WWE pass that point?

I think he can get to a level that's close to that, but this is not the guy to carry the company.

To be fair there really isn't anyone who can carry the company the way they want them to.

Oh, I agree. I was going to add that Vince and company are going to need to learn, and maybe the hard way, that they can't rely on ONE guy any longer and will need a group of guys to carry the company. It's like a pitching rotation in MLB. What good is having that one ace, top of the rotation pitcher, when the rest of the rotation is a bunch of 4s and 5s. I'd much rather have a rotation of 2s and 3s with a good bullpen.

The funny thing is that WWE has that now if they would open their eyes to it. 

it's been much to fast and too soon

Bullshit.  Roman is either the man or he isn't.  He's been their guy for over three years now.  If he doesn't have it by now, it's not going to happen.  Literally he's had more time to be the man to lead the company than Sting, Rock, Goldberg, and Cena had when they were in the big leagues.  They are literally wasting WrestleMania after WrestleMania waiting for him "to be ready."

Bullshit.  Roman is either the man or he isn't.  He's been their guy for over three years now.  If he doesn't have it by now, it's not going to happen.  Literally he's had more time to be the man to lead the company than Sting, Rock, Goldberg, and Cena had when they were in the big leagues.  They are literally wasting WrestleMania after WrestleMania waiting for him "to be ready."

Right, we're at this point because it was much too fast too soon, which is what I said. Instead of letting the guy develop and maybe have this be the year where he main events WM for the first time, it's his second year in a row doing so and he's still fucked because they tried getting him to that John Cena level insanely fast when the guy has 1/10th of the charisma and ability as Cena.

So yes, Roman carrying the company is not going to happen.

I'm honestly not sure why you're saying what I said is bullshit.

Right, we're at this point because it was much too fast too soon, which is what I said. Instead of letting the guy develop and maybe have this be the year where he main events WM for the first time, it's his second year in a row doing so and he's still fucked because they tried getting him to that John Cena level insanely fast when the guy has 1/10th of the charisma and ability as Cena.

So yes, Roman carrying the company is not going to happen.

Uhhh.  Roman is at the exact same level as Cena: getting booed out of every arena.

That he should have it by now if he's going to ever have it at all. He's just so disingenuous as a good guy and doesn't have the charisma or mic skills to make up for being okay or pretty good in the ring but not great. There's nothing special about this guy, who's been afforded so much opportunity and privilege ahead of far more deserving candidates, other than he has really nice hair.

This is the first Raw I've seen in a while and that promo he cut after the Shane McMahon opening segment was death. No charisma, no emotion, no warmth, nothing. He was like a bad soap opera actor in an audition. 

That he should have it by now if he's going to ever have it at all. He's just so disingenuous as a good guy and doesn't have the charisma or mic skills to make up for being okay or pretty good in the ring but not great. There's nothing special about this guy, who's been afforded so much opportunity and privilege ahead of far more deserving candidates, other than he has really nice hair.

This is the first Raw I've seen in a while and that promo he cut after the Shane McMahon opening segment was death. No charisma, no emotion, no warmth, nothing. He was like a bad soap opera actor in an audition. 

THIS.

Right, that's what I said. He could have had it with the proper build up, but instead the tried strapping a rocket to his back and it he took off like someone letting the air out of a balloon. You can't say there's nothing special about him when there was something special about him that's been totally lost in sabotaged Royal Rumble pushes, aborted Wrestlemania and WWE Title pushes, terrible promos for a guy that shouldn't be cutting those promos, etc. Fans were getting behind him in an organic way until everything about Roman became anything but organic. And none of this is to say that someone else shouldn't have received the opportunities Roman received. I think you're reading what I wrote and interpreting that as me defending the guy. I'm not. I'm explaining why I feel bad and what opportunity was missed.

Right, that's what I said. He could have had it with the proper build up, but instead the tried strapping a rocket to his back and it he took off like someone letting the air out of a balloon. You can't say there's nothing special about him when there was something special about him that's been totally lost in sabotaged Royal Rumble pushes, aborted Wrestlemania and WWE Title pushes, terrible promos for a guy that shouldn't be cutting those promos, etc. Fans were getting behind him in an organic way until everything about Roman became anything but organic. And none of this is to say that someone else shouldn't have received the opportunities Roman received. I think you're reading what I wrote and interpreting that as me defending the guy. I'm not. I'm explaining why I feel bad and what opportunity was missed.

But he was overly protected in The Shield, where he did stuff any competent wrestler could do. He just looked cool doing it. He wasn't going to grow in that role and even if they took it slowly and had him progress with baby steps as they should have (say beating Rusev at Mania last year instead of the useless Cena win that did nothing for him and has killed Rusev's momentum), would he really have developed any differently? He's incredibly limited as a babyface and isn't good enough in the ring to be a good heel. I'm guessing that, in regards to out of the ring, his strengths, if we can call them that, are better suited to him being a heel. But I don't think there's a tonne of money in that either. At least it would tap into the built up anxiety and dislike the hardcore fans have towards him and they can play up the "chosen one" gimmick. It's probably too cute but it's better than the shit we're being told to eat right now.

Edited by Oyaji

SHANE O MAC! That was an absolutely massive pop. Great unexpected shocker for once. Incredible reaction considering he's been completely gone for 7 years and never had any teased returns. Definitely never saw Shane/Taker coming. All these weeks of wondering Undertaker vs "someone not on the roster" and they truly delivered. Seems like such a weird use of Taker but it will be a wild spectacle. Thought Shane was great in the seg.

Very glad they are official with Brock/Ambrose and forgetting Brock/Wyatt. Brock/Ambrose has a ton of potential to be a classic and a huge moment for Ambrose win or lose, though I can see Dean going over. Hated Ryback turning, that just seemed so random and made no sense. Y2AJ made for a solid team, wondering if they'll end up feuding in to Mania or what. Sasha looked great, love the set up for the Mania triple threat. This show definitely got stuff rolling for Mania finally.

Closing segment was amazing with the crowd going nuts for The Game. Triple H coming out in "babyface asskicker" mode like he did against Orton in 09 and Brock in 2012 with Cole hyping up the difference in clothes, loved it. Plus the allowed bleeding and focus on it, great addition.  Will be a very interesting Road to WrestleMania for sure.

I think Shane was even shocked by how apeshit the crowd was going for him. 

Also, Vince should have brought out Teddy Long for the sole purpose of telling Shane that he had to go one on one..... WITH THE UNDATAYKA!!

• Like 2

Turning Roman at Survivor Series and then having Dean chase him for the belt also made too much fucking sense. 

You say that, but at that point the crowd really didn't hate him outside of the smarkier segments. He got booed, but still overall good reactions until the asinine ending that completely torpedoed him. Fuck, had they ended that with the spear on HHH or actually let him beat Sheamus he would have been so much better off its not even funny.

Hey, not attacking you.  Roman just comes off as a guy who does whatever he's told.  I don't think that's ever going to change.  The Rock's initial push was so much worse than Roman's and then one day he just said F this, let me do my thing.  And he became a star.  I don't feel for one second Roman has ever said "let me do my thing" or creative has thought "let him do his thing."  And I keep hearing when he's out being himself, he's fucking awesome.  Shit, the best I've seen of Roman this year was him at the dark match R-Truth birthday party.  It's just not going to happen until Roman stands up for himself. 

Which he should have done years ago.  And that was my bullshit comment.  If you've got it, you got it, you know it, and you make it happen.  He does what he's told and this will always be the result.  It has nothing to do with time.  Roman 2014 will be the same as Roman 2016 or Roman 2018.

It's like when people talk about Ryback eventually being the next Goldberg when Goldberg was pretty much retired by this stage in Ryback's career.  If you haven't done it by now, you're not going to.

The Undertaker vs. Shane McMahon inside Hell in a Cell at WrestleMania XXXII is a real WTF? match. Shane O'Mac's return was truly a surprise.

If you wanted to see Randy Orton vs. Batista in the main event of WrestleMania XXX as it was originally going to be for the crowd reaction only, you’re going to get it with Triple H vs. Roman Reigns at WrestleMania XXXII. This will be like Triple H’s main event at WrestleMania 22 in Chicago when Trips was loudly cheered, and John Cena booed but worse as WrestleMania XXXII is in a much bigger building.