DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 84: Silva vs. Bisping (2/27/2016) - London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_London_Silva_vs._Bisping

UFC Fight Night 84: Silva vs. Bisping
February 27, 2016
London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

Anderson Silva (186) vs. Michael Bisping (185) - Bisping, DEC (unanimous)
Gegard Mousasi (185) vs. Thales Leites (186) - Mousasi, DEC (unanimous)
Tom Breese (171) vs. Keita Nakamura (170) - Breese, DEC (unanimous)
Francisco Rivera (136) vs. Brad Pickett (136) - Pickett, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Mike Wilkinson (145) vs. Makwan Amirkhani (145) - Amirkhani, DEC (unanimous)
Davey Grant (136) vs. Marlon Vera (135) - Grant, DEC (unanimous)
Scott Askham (185) vs. Chris Dempsey (185) - Askham,  KO (head kick), R1 (4:45)
Arnold Allen (145) vs. Yaotzin Meza (144) - Allen, DEC (unanimous)
Brad Scott (186) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (184) - Jotko, DEC (unanimous)
Norman Parke (155) vs. Rustam Khabilov (155) - Khabilov, DEC (unanimous)
Daniel Omielańczuk (254) vs. Jarjis Danho (261) - Omielańczuk, DEC (technical decision)

Teemu Packalén (156) vs. Thibault Gouti (155) - Packalén, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (0:24)

David Teymur (155) vs. Martin Svensson (154) - Teymur, TKO (strikes), R2 (1:26)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Teemu Packalén

Performance of the Night: Scott Askham

Fight of the Night: Anderson Silva vs. Michael Bisping

Attendance: 16,734

Gate: $2 million

Cancelled Bouts:

Michael Bisping vs. Gegard Mousasi - Bisping Moved to the Main Event

Jimi Manuwa vs. Nikita Krylov - Injury to Manuwa

Brad Pickett vs. Enrique Briones - Injury to Briones

Teemu Packalén vs. Łukasz Sajewski - Injury to Sajewski

I have a bad feeling that main event is going to be quite the train wreck.

Any particular reason as to why?

Silva being a clown trying to repair a shattered legacy and Bisping way past being a standard bearing gateway fighter.  Those good enough reasons?

You'd have paid to see this fight years ago and now its on for free on an otherwise throwaway card.  Does anyone really give a shit that these two guys are hooking it up?

I have a bad feeling that main event is going to be quite the train wreck.

Any particular reason as to why?

Silva being a clown trying to repair a shattered legacy and Bisping way past being a standard bearing gateway fighter.  Those good enough reasons?

You'd have paid to see this fight years ago and now its on for free on an otherwise throwaway card.  Does anyone really give a shit that these two guys are hooking it up?

Plenty of people apparently since it was a big move that they decided to do on Fight Pass. In addition, Fight Pass really ain't free. I know this from the discussion that people didn't want to pay $10 a month back in early 2014. People were having to make crucial life decisions over ten bucks.

I think stylistically along with it being the right time in each others' career, it makes perfect sense for both guys. In hindsight, there was maybe 1 or 2 months where it would have made sense to make Silva vs. Bisping. That was back when middleweight was running dry and the UK market was still super hot. However, in terms of legacy, it would have never made sense. Bisping at that point was still on a separate island from all the other middleweights. Hell, stalwarts like Marquardt and Okami didn't fight each other until like 2010. In addition, they had higher hopes for Anderson in trying to have him fight at 205 and trying to make him a viable superstar on a casual level. Luckily, Chael and the Vitor fight came along.

Right now, they're basically trying to kill multiple birds with one stone and they're probably going to succeed at that. They're going to get more eyeballs on Fight Pass seeing how their live content is basically what people watch. They're making up for the fact that the UK never got that Anderson Silva vs. Liddell superfight. They're also finally doing the fight with Bisping. In addition, if Silva beats Bisping, they can feasibly throw him in their with the Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 winner. That's a fight you would not have if you threw him in there with a Vitor Belfort who is about as much a mystery as Anderson is going into this Saturday's fight.

I usually disagree with some of the things you post, but that was about as good an answer as any. Kudos.

That main card is awesome. Mousasi/Leites should be good and Rivera/Pickett has FOTY potential, plus you get K-Taro.

And in the prelims we get Mr. Finland.

If Weidman beats Rockhold and Silva gets past Bisping then that makes for Weidman Silva 3.  Who really wants to see that fight given the ending of the first two?  Blargh.

This is a fight of two guys that are better off retired that summons up enough morbid curiosity and nostalgia that your mind tricks you into thinking it will be a decent fight.

If Weidman beats Rockhold, they will probably do the trilogy depending on how that fight goes or Jacare should he get past Belfort.

Also, why should Bisping retire? He really hasn't slowed down yet. He had one of his best career performances against Leites and that was last July. He is still beating the fighters he should beat. There are plenty of dudes fighting in the UFC who aren't going to win a world title.

I didn't see much in the way of predictions, are people calling for Silva to walk over Bisping or are some concerned about him potentially being old/not full of drugs impacting his ability? I figured this fight was made for Silva to beat a 'name' opponent to vault him back into the title picture.

I didn't see much in the way of predictions

I think the way Hendricks vs. Thompson went may have scared a lot of people off from that.

Anyway, I think it's just a tough style matchup for Bisping. He has always had trouble with people who don't respect his power. When all you have is volume, it's a bit tough to continue to carry out a gameplan against more technical strikers and/or those with power. Against strikers with pourous takedown defense, he can at least try to clinch against the cage and be takedown happy to work on top. I think Silva is still good enough to stop those takedowns and land enough precise strikes to at least take a wide decision, if not stop him in the middle rounds.

Holy shit...Arnold Allen

He may be the next big prospect at featherweight. He soundly beat Meza through 2 1/2 rounds without doing a whole lot and then just absolutely blitzed at him at the end of round 3. If there was 3 or 4 seconds more, that would have been a TKO/KO easily. Meza was done.

Grant vs Vera was a fun fight just for Marc Goddard just sick of something and giving anyone that would listen the business.  And then when Dan Hardy asked Mark Ratner if what he did was valid, Ratner just gives confusing ass answer and Hardy treats like CBS does Mike Carey doing instant replays   :lol:

Loved that this Fight Pass is just match after match with none of the unnecessary filler like Karyn Bryant talking about UFC and promos that are shown 5 or 6 times in a span of 4 hours.