DVDVR Message Board

All time favorite movie characters

StuntmanCrowley

Little Bill from Unforgiven.

Little Bill and English Bob rule the roost. I watched the Japanese remake of Unforgiven w/ Ken Watanabe and one of the only parts they did almost word-for-word is the part where English Bob is leaving town. The reason why they did that is because you can't fuck with that part. No one can.

In terms of villains, Longshanks from Braveheart was one of the best movie bad guys of all time.

A few of mine have been mentioned, so off the top of my head...

Fred Melamed as Sy Ableman in A Serious Man. (he's the title character, after all)

Richard Castellano as Clemenza in The Godfather. Brutal, but impossible to dislike. 

Bill Murray as Bunny Breckinridge in Ed Wood. " let's hear you call Boris Karloff a cocksucker". 

Hollywood Jack Vincennes. Not sure if any character has quite hit for me the perfect balance of charismaticaly glamourous , repulsively scummy and heartbreakingly sympatheticat the same time. A lot of that is down to Spacey's performance, including stealing Guy Pearce's big scene with three words. (Pearce does get his own later, owning a big scene with just a prolonged silent beat.)

• Like 1

Cleo McDowell

I love Coming to America but I dont think Ive ever seen/heard anyone list Cleo as a favorite character.

Care to explain?

There are 900 great side characters in that movie, but Cleo McDowell is the one who feels like a real person.  He's a self made man who loves his family, but is also the most ridiculous human being on the planet.  Everything he does, even when it is absurd, has a level of humanity to it that takes the movie up a notch or two.  I think Jon Amos' performance is the best in the entire movie. 

• Like 1

Han Solo

Johnny Ringo

Dante(Grandma's Boy)

Tommy Devito

Clarence Worley...and Floyd

Apollo Creed

Williams(Enter the Dragon)

WILLIAMS~!

And I am out of likes again..

"Ghettos are the same all over the world.  They stink."

To think that if it were not for John Saxon's agent calling for screen time to compensate for the pay and billing, we would've gotten to see Williams vs Lee in the finale brawl.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about my favorite film, Night of the Living Dead, and the character of Ben. That made me think of John from Day of the Dead who might be an even better character -- maybe the best one Romero ever came up with. His monologue in the bunker just steals that film away from a pretty solid ensemble cast. 

Also, if we're gonna bring up Eastwood in the Leone pictures we HAVE to  mention Angel Eyes and beyond all doubt Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez, one of the best characters of all time.

• Like 1

Ah man, now I'm thinking about how Gary Oldman got the character of Drexl Spivey in True Romance and stole that film away from everyone else too. Came up with his own wardrobe and everything! 

MOTHERFUCKIN CHARLIE BRONSON! MR. MAJESTYK!

• Like 2

Oldman stole a movie with a fucking loaded cast.

Like, I mean, there a dozen people who are either legit great actors, legit great character actors, or both in True Romance.

Oldman is on a level above them all (although pre-fame James Gandolfini is also fantastic)

• Like 1

If you haven't seen him as the alcoholic Irish gangster in State of Grace, do so. It rivals Drexl and the DEA guy in The Professional for madness. 

I liked him more in State of Grace than True Romance until just the last few years. Stansfield is hard to compete with just because it's Oldman is trying out Gary Oldman himself.