DVDVR Message Board

All time favorite movie characters

StuntmanCrowley

Everything, damn near everything, Alec Baldwin says is quotable in that role. It's awesome. That character is so fucking awesome. The first time I watched GGR I just kept waiting for him to return. A nice consolation prize was Al Pacino killing it later in the movie. That character though, while not a favorite, is pretty memorable too.

Another favorite character of mine, one who is in the movie nearly the whole time, is Timothy Olyphant's character Kelly in Girl Next Door. Girl Next Door I think is a really underrated movie, but Kelly is great, mainly because it's just dickhead Timothy Olyphant being a dickhead and doing it so well. Olyphant has 3 speeds, total dickhead, sarcastic prick, and furious asshole and they're all great.

When Glengarry Glen Ross came out on VHS I sat with my parents and watched it and I remember them turning it off eventually because it was so depressing. Watching that again confirmed my negligible memory. 

Robert Duvall in Colors is one of my favorite characters ever, and I wanted to post the Youtube clip of him shutting Sean Penn right the fuck down, but they muted the last lines where he tells him "You want me, any time, any fuckin' time. You better pack your lunch."

I always gravitate towards peripheral characters in movies that barely affect the plot in any conceivable way...so naturally most of them come from Coen Brothers movies.

yanagita3b.jpg

Mike Yanagita from Fargo: is just the best.  He turns up, for no reason, in the middle of the film contacting Margie and talks about how lonely he is and about his sad marriage and...well you know the rest.  But the scene is so perfect.  The way Margie deflects his flirting with such grace and compassion gives you this whole other level to her character without hitting you over the head with it.

0QewH3oS.jpeg

Knox Harrington from The Big Lewbowski: in a movie that's just hilarious from beginning to end there is one scene that SLAYS me every time.  When The Dude meets up with Maude, with Knox present, and Knox keeps laughing at him, and at one point Knox is just laughing  hysterically at The Dude and the Dude looks at Maude and says "What the fuck is his problem?" and it's just such an incredibly silly, funny scene with such perfect delivery that no matter what I can't not laugh it.

c480x270_49.jpg

Bust Ass from All the Real Girls: Unlike the first two, he's a pretty important character for the film.  If you've seen one Danny McBride performances, you've kinda seen them all, really.  He's a big blowhard who swears a lot, acts like a tough guy, but is actually pretty sad.  But Bust Ass is a totally different McBridge creation: an awkward guy who gets picked on by his friends and thinks he's all worldly but is completely out of his depth.  The way he tries to undermine his friend's relationship because he has a crush on her, then he looks so happy when he thinks she's into him, then so terrified when his friend comes back.  He's just so awkward and pathetic and hilarious.  I love Bust Ass.  My brother and I quote him all the time: "Let's dip our nuts in whiskey and get the girls drunk", "Moo-hair? I don't think so dude.  Senorita means woman... Abondegas means meatball soup." and "There's a pubic hair on the table."

I think I might like him even more as Chris in Lock, Stock.

Oh, fuck I forgot how much I love Big Chris and Rory Breaker.

Big Chris is one of my favorite movie dads ever.

And holy shit, Rory Breaker...

In terms of romantic comedies, Charlie from So I Married an Axe Murderer has always stood out as a male lead to me.

When Mike Myers isn't being all crazy and over-the-top and he tones things down, he's actually likable and endearing. 

Kinda sad he never tapped in on the qualities he showed in this film.

Just remembered Bill/D-FENS from Falling Down. The way he just wanders into horrible situations and works his way through them with this implacable facade masking years of boiling rage. Then the slow reveal that though you want to like the guy in a revenge-fantasy kind of way, he's actually an overbearing father and a domineering husband bent on a murder-suicide. It also contains the other great Duvall cop role as the beleaguered Martin Prendergast. There are so many clips I could play from this movie but this one might just be the best. 

• Like 3

The weird thing about Falling Down is when I realized it was Joel Schumacher's version of being SUBTLE and complex and nuanced. Towards the beginning, the viewer is clearly expected to cheer a lot of the shit Michael Douglas pulls as pure "wouldn't you love to do this?" sort of fantasy. But he just keeps getting meaner and colder, to the point where at the end he has that monologue where he realizes that he's literally become the bad guy.

I know, right? It's easy to believe he made some bullshit like the Phantom of the Opera musical adaptation (which took an already-overrated stage play and then accentuated all its negatives while downplaying all its positives) or an overbaked block of melodramatic cheese like The Number 23, but it's bizarrely difficult to remember he's made plenty of perfectly competent movies like The Client, St. Elmo's Fire, and Phone Booth.

Don Cheadle was the real sleeper in Boogie Nights. The scene where he's trying to get a loan is just heartbreaking. 

We're forgetting about some real tour-de-forces here, like Harvey Keitel in Bad Lietenant and, of course, good old Tony Montana.

EDIT: Oh god. Jimmy fuckin' Jump from King of New York!!!

• Like 1