DVDVR Message Board

All time favorite movie characters

StuntmanCrowley

This is a blatant piggyback off of the "Great characters in bad movies" thread, but when I was trying to think of some, all I could harken back to was some of my all time favorite performances.

One in particular.

Norman Stansfield(Gary Oldman) in the Professional.

This performance alone has made me a fan of Oldman for life, and consequently, has made me hate the Academy, as he has never won one, albeit they are watered down pandering as of late.

• Like 3

I will leave the more obvious characters for other people to pick.

Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) from Big Trouble In Little China

Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) from Beverly Hills Cop

Martin Blank (John Cusack) from Grosse Point Blank.

Zatoichi (Shintaro Katsu) from too many Zatoichi movies to name at once.

• Like 1

The obvious type things: Brando as Don Vito Corleone.

De Niro as Don Vito Corleone.

Less obvious but still obvious: Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in T2, Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley, Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday.

John McClane is the obvious one. Ripley as well.

Rocky Balboa too. I mean, the guy isn't smart. He's not deep. But he has an earnestness and kindness about him that makes him very appealing.  That's why the character has lasted. 

For a less popular choice: I'll go with Tank Girl. Now there was a brave, gutsy woman who didn't give a shit. She had some morality, of course, but you were never hit over the head with it.  She was vastly different from most people in comic book films,  in that respect.  

Edit: Oh, and Axel Foley. The sheer charisma of the man alone.

Bill Cosby is a terrible person, BUT...

Mongo Slade is one of the greatest cinematic characters of all time. Nothing will change that. Ditto for John Amos as Kansas City Mack and Calvin Lockhart as Biggie Smalls in the same film.

It's easy to go Doyle Hargraves so I will go for my other favorite from that movie.

2cpf29x.jpg

"So I produce the twenty five dollas, right...."

• Like 1

I fucking hate Bill for making Let's Do It Again unwatchable now.

Hey! Are you crazy? Now I hear your 6 foot tall and good looking. How would you like to be 4 foot tall and ugly, down in the river with a box of cement? Now we want the woman, and the money, in Chicago by morning. Nice talking to you, Biggie.

Should I watch Meatballs?

Everyone should watch MEATBALLS every year in late May or early June.  Or if you want to get really depressed any other time of the year.

It is probably best watched in early June of about 1981 but that's not always an option.

• Like 1

I quite liked Heather in The Blair Witch Project as a deconstruction of every woman in a slasher horror film.

She fucked up. Big time. She knew it. She felt genuine guilt. And, at the end, with the last of her wits about her, all she can do is weep profusely and apologize to everyone for being so silly and naive. Then wait for her inevitable doom.

When someone in a popcorn horror movie has a shockingly honest and real-life reaction to the events that are unfolding.