DVDVR Message Board

Best Rated-R "Comic Book Movies?"

J.T.

It's actually, of all damn things, a possibly-coincidental rip-off from some random overheard conversation in the first Max Payne game. At one point, you can hear some mafia henchmen going on a monologue about how it's stupid that vampire movies all take place in California or the Western deserts, and how a smart vampire would go way up north where the sun doesn't shine for days on end. The game was first published about a year before the comic was.

Just to fuck with J.T.'s list even more I have to bring up 30 Days of Night.

Damn it.

"Fuck, I forgot Tank Girl! Put that one at #7 and knock everything else down one notch."

Lucky for me I really fucking hated Tank Girl.  If it weren't for Naomi Watts as Jet Girl and the phat Bjork and Devo tracks in the movie, I'd never watch it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Since I just watched it Deadpool has rocketed to damn near the top. Yeah, the jokes are gonna get dated, and the humor in general is pretty eye-rolling (intentionally, tons of groaners in it), but it's up there with Guardians for a Marvel film with me. Maybe I just like it when they're playing it loose and funny and putting in a bunch of silly songs. And I am the type to like a bunch of gore and inappropriate humor. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 0:15 PM, J.T. said:

Update

1. The Crow

2. Logan

3. Deadpool

4. Dredd

5. Blade 2

6. Sin City

7. A History of Violence

8. Road To Perdition

9. V For Vendetta

10. Watchmen

Great minds think alike as the saying goes ; )

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Remember this, @J.T.?

Since then my friend, Joker became the first Rated R (Superstar) film to make a billion at the box office getting Academy Award nominations including Best Picture with wins for Joaquin Phoenix as Best Actor and Hildur Guðnadóttir for Best Original Score. Deadpool 2 (2018) came out the year before and Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (2020) earlier this month. 

My latest edition:

10. Watchmen (2009).

9. V for Vendetta (2005).

8. Sin City (2005).

7. Dredd (2012).

6. Blade (1998).

5. Blade II (2002).

4. Deadpool (2016).

3. Logan (2017).

2. Joker (2019).

1. The Crow (1994).

There was only one choice for top spot. The Crow is in my top five best comic book movies ever made.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Kind of surprised I never made a list

• Deadpool
  • Deadpool 2
  • Blade
  • Blade 2
  • Sin City
  • Watchmen
  • Logan
  • Kingsmen: The Secret Service
  • Kickass

I could only come up with nine offhand and am not really sure of the order though the Deadpool films probably top the list. I have seen more. its just hard to rank which would really fill in the last spot w/o rewatching them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:21 PM, Casey said:

It's because Ghost World is better.

And because the subject matter of American Splendor makes me feel icky.... and the sight of Thora Birch in nerd glasses is one of the cutest thing ever witnessed by human eyes.

I can't believe that Enid kisses her mother with that mouth, though

Edited by J.T.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, J.T. said:

And because the subject matter of American Splendor makes me feel icky.... and the sight of Thora Birch in nerd glasses is one of the cutest thing ever witnessed by human eyes.

I can't believe that Enid kisses her mother with that mouth, though

Well, she doesn't kiss her mother