DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

So best record ever, first team to ever have a sixty-five win season and then improve the next year, second best two year combined record ever (one win shy of the 95-97 Bulls)

Next up, trying to top the Bulls regular season/playoffs combined 87-13 mark?

Shaq: "Can you give me 50 for your last game?"

Kobe:  "No."

I don't even know what to say.  Part of me thinks that was the greatest retirement ever, and part of me, c'mon...that was one one of the best booked 4th quarters ever.  Though Kobe had to actually score to pull it off...

• Like 1

Encapsulates peak Kobe in both facets, give me the fucking ball and I am going to win this god dammit. He set a modern FGA record by the way. Highest since 83. Just beating out Jordan, himself about ten times and Chris Webber of all folks.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When Kobe had around 35 on a bunch of shots and he was missing a lot of them I was like okay... whatever but that 4th quarter will go down in history.  He legit had a flashback to peak Mamba. Awesome stuff.

Yeah that somehow made it better.  He went cold and I mentioned on Twitter that he had run out of gas.... and then he shot through it.  Like he always does.

I really have no way to contemplate tonight.

1) Golden State is a team for the ages. 73 wins. Steph showing why he's the MVP -- the most uniquely talented player of his generation in a system that doesn't just allow but demands him to use his gifts in such absurd ways. There is a NBA in our not-too-distant past where this Golden State team would be a sprightly 7-seed, at best, derided for not having enough quality height or size. I don't miss that NBA at all. I like this one a lot more.

2) Kobe scoring 60 in his final game is the most Kobe ending possible. So is Kobe shooting the ball 50 freaking times (while his teammates shot a combined 35). This was the weirdest NBA All-Star game of all-time. The whole pre-game had Kobe's faux-graciousness and the like from his cohorts (although the Odom part was legitimately great). I think Flea did something involving music. Then after that was Kobe's post-game speech that ended with him saying "Mamba Out." Those two words, more than anything, say it all -- Kobe using his self-appointed nickname in a really corny way but thinking its awesome... and having a lot of people think it's awesome somehow. He will always boggle my mind.

Kobe's one of my least favorite NBA players, even besides the whole "paid a woman a lot of money to settle civil charges that I sexually assaulted her after I had to publicly apologize to make the criminal charges go away" thing. However, I'm still glad i got to experience him and all his weirdness.

• Like 1

Kobe is like the real life version of WWE with their "Wrestlemania Moments". 

Statistically he won't go down as the greatest ever, but there's never been another player who gave you as many unforgettable "moments" as Kobe. This goes right up there with 81 and 62 in three quarters against Dallas.

• Like 1

If you thought that was an embarrassment you didn't watch.  The Jazz obviously weren't trying at the level they would have if they had a playoff shot, but they weren't exactly letting the dude score. He took 50 shots, but he shot 44% after starting 0-5!  That's pretty damn good.  

The refs helped by letting a million moving screens go by, but the Jazz were definitely not letting him score.  That's the most points by any player all season.  Was the whole scene lacking in humility? Sure.  Are the Lakers terrible?  Yes.  Was that one of Kobe's best performances ever?  You're god damn right!