DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Sixers fans are so delusional about Hinkie. People are MAD he's gone. The dude put together a team that is going to win 10 games.

I get what he was going for. I like people who take other approaches. I like stats geeks. I like all of that stuff.

Hinkie was very good at getting a lot of lottery tickets in draft picks. However, he wasn't very good at turning those draft picks into productive assets. Nerlens is a keeper. No one knows what Oak is in the current NBA. Sixers fans SWEAR Embid is an All-NBA player just waiting in the wings but are conveniently overlooking the lengthy history of big men with recurring foot injuries is a long list and the list of players who had successful careers after sitting out two years is zero. (And there is a "Hakeem With Range From Three" thought about him, with Sixers fans conveniently overlooking the fact Embid took a total of five three pointers in his one year on college.)

The other part of the plan was to unearth hidden gems. The players Hinkie unearthed are Robert Covington, TJ McConnell, Jerami Grant and Hollis Thompson. I don't think anyone would be shocked to hear about them tearing up Euroleague in two years. They're barely passable NBA talent.

A lot of the draft picks are coming due this year. Hitting draft picks is far from an exact science. It would have been nice to see the Sixers have three guys who could get rotation minutes on Orlando in place while a bunch of rookies come in. That didn't happen.

I am very happy to have the Colangelo family running things in Philly. The Suns were a consistent playoff team for three decades. They made the finals a few times and the 7 Seconds or Less teams essentially invented basketball as we've come to know it and caught a bunch of bad breaks. I will gladly take something approaching that in the city where I live.

In the final analysis, what killed Hinkie wasn't the tanking itself. It's the fact that:
1. He used 3 of his lottery picks on centers, 2 of whom were injured, one of whom may never play.
2. With his other lottery pick he drafted a Rookie of the Year PG, then traded him away for no good reason.
3. Even after getting some lottery picks on the court, he continued to surround them with D-league rejects. It's one thing to tank, but it's another to intentionally stock your team with guys who don't belong in the pros. He was basically following Rachel Phelps' plan from Major League...

• Like 3

Who knows how this draft breaks, but I can't imagine Ben Simmons busting.  I don't see how you keep him away from the rim.  Doesn't matter if he has no outside shot.

Might develop one or might not, but dudes who can slash and pass like that will do well in the league.

I am literally stunned that Harden didn't get the call when Dirk stripped him.  It was 90% clean, but those are calls that Harden typically gets.  I don't know if Wes Matthews will get nearly the credit he deserves for his defense in that game.

Hinkie actually "won" the MCW trade. MCW wasn't a good player. He was a mirage of stats based on the Sixers pace. MCW is a NBA rotation player (and would be the best guard on the Sixers right now) but Hinkie managed to get that into the Lakers pick this year. He flipped the 12th pick (MCW) in one draft to what could be the fourth.

That is a winning trade. But you have to hope that:

A) The pick vests. And since its protected and the Lakers really gave zero shits about basketball this year, it likely won't vest.
B) If it doesn't vest, the Lakers don't manage to rebuild their team quickly. And it's the Lakers. They're one of the "gold standard" teams in the NBA and play in the most attractive market.

There's a downside to that trade. Or any trade. I can see Hinkie's line of thinking with it. He polished a turd into what COULD BE something better.

I just don't trust him to turn it into the something better. There's no track record showing he's going to turn that pick into a good NBA player if it vests.

That also pushes the development curve down. MCW is not a good basketball player. But the other options were a rotating cast of borderline guys with Ish Smith being the best option. And then Ish himself was bungled because they let him go and had to burn two draft picks to get him because no one on the team could bring the ball up the court. They had no one who could get the ball into one of the two good post players for half a NBA season.

That's not good. Hinkie's a supposed long-term planner. He looked long with the MCW pick but forgot that you absolutely need someone to handle the basketball. MCW wasn't the answer to do this three years from now. But you still need someone to do it until you get the guy in place who you think can do it.

4 hours ago, Jrag said:

Who knows how this draft breaks, but I can't imagine Ben Simmons busting.  I don't see how you keep him away from the rim.  Doesn't matter if he has no outside shot.

Might develop one or might not, but dudes who can slash and pass like that will do well in the league.

Put him on the Sixers where nobody has an outside shot and his style of play crumbles into dust.  

At some point he needs to develop range because at the NBA level guys will tear him apart.  They stop him from driving and then what?  You cannot shoot the three so just sit out there.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Hinkie actually "won" the MCW trade. MCW wasn't a good player. He was a mirage of stats based on the Sixers pace. MCW is a NBA rotation player (and would be the best guard on the Sixers right now) but Hinkie managed to get that into the Lakers pick this year. He flipped the 12th pick (MCW) in one draft to what could be the fourth.

That is a winning trade. But you have to hope that:

A) The pick vests. And since its protected and the Lakers really gave zero shits about basketball this year, it likely won't vest.
B) If it doesn't vest, the Lakers don't manage to rebuild their team quickly. And it's the Lakers. They're one of the "gold standard" teams in the NBA and play in the most attractive market.

There's a downside to that trade. Or any trade. I can see Hinkie's line of thinking with it. He polished a turd into what COULD BE something better.

I just don't trust him to turn it into the something better. There's no track record showing he's going to turn that pick into a good NBA player if it vests.

That also pushes the development curve down. MCW is not a good basketball player. But the other options were a rotating cast of borderline guys with Ish Smith being the best option. And then Ish himself was bungled because they let him go and had to burn two draft picks to get him because no one on the team could bring the ball up the court. They had no one who could get the ball into one of the two good post players for half a NBA season.

That's not good. Hinkie's a supposed long-term planner. He looked long with the MCW pick but forgot that you absolutely need someone to handle the basketball. MCW wasn't the answer to do this three years from now. But you still need someone to do it until you get the guy in place who you think can do it.

The Sixers did not 'WIN' the trade since the draft pick has not been turned into a player.  Suppose the player busts and MCW has an average career?  Who wins the trade then?

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And, of course, with a bit more lottery luck, Philly could have rolled out a Noel/Towns/Wiggins front court this year and Hinkie would be in a lot better shape.

They could also have drafted these guys and put together a somewhat attractive roster for free agents.

2013 - Noel / Shabazz (14) or Giannis (15)

2014 - Gordon (5th) or Randle (7th) / LaVine (13th)

2015 - Porzingis (4th)

You still get Wroten way back as a PG to work with the guys or sign a PG and this may not be a playoff roster but it is much better than what Hinkie assembled.

BUT if the Sixers did draft those guys then I doubt they would be drafting in a position to grab Porzingis.  They would have drafted around the 7-10 range.

Wroten???/LaVine/Shabazz/Randle/Noel is not a bad group to try and attract a free agent.

And, by the way, that's what should really bother Philly. The Wolves didn't try half so hard to tank, and they have Wiggins/Rubio/Towns/Lavine/likely top five pick and arguably the brightest future in the NBA.

• Like 2

Hinkie pretty much whiffed on every draft pick which is some track record for someone who wanted to build through the draft.  He put together a roster with no range.  Noel and Okafor had range out to five feet and the shooters were non-existent.

This roster shows that Hinkie had no plan.

I don't think Noel was a terrible pick in a vacuum. But drafting two more centers was insane. 

Noel still strikes me as having potential to be a Tyson Chandler type, which isn't terrible for the sixth pick.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And, by the way, that's what should really bother Philly. The Wolves didn't try half so hard to tank, and they have Wiggins/Rubio/Towns/Lavine/likely top five pick and arguably the brightest future in the NBA.

Part of that is Lebron being a terrible GM too. . . .

Noel has a chance to be a decent NBA center but when your range is limited to five feet the GM has to place a lot of good shooters around him so that his lack of offensive game does not drag the team down.

Hinkie did the opposite by continuing to collect centers and ignore the other positions on the court.  He was handing the coach a defensively challenged Okafor to play with an offensively challenged Noel.  Each guy had a range of five feet.

You are just setting yourself up for failure but Hinkie failed in the most hilarious way possible.  

I love the part of the letter where Hinkie talks up how he was onto the fact that a face pace and great outside shooting were going to rule the day before other people. This correlates well with him drafting three centers in a row, with one in Okafor who can't play at an uptempo speed and has limited range. I get going for the BPA, but if you think the league is headed in one direction don't you have to correlate to that?

Anyways, on to an actual NBA team. GSW has a 70 win season. That's insane. San Antonio needs Diaw back to have a shot in the WCF. Diaw's such a uniquely talented player. I love him so much.

Memphis is in the playoffs for the sixth year in a row. I'm not expecting much because of their injury situation but they are a team of men. They might fall to the sixth spot which means they get taken by OKC as opposed to throwing a few haymakers at the Charmin soft Clip show.

I'm very glad Portland clinched, too. They're a joy of a team. I think them vs. the Clippers has 2-2 written all over it.

I very much have no respect for the Clippers.

Atlanta also showed up late. They've become quite the defensive team.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2016 at 2:24 AM, Greggulator said:

Hinkie was very good at getting a lot of lottery tickets in draft picks. However, he wasn't very good at turning those draft picks into productive assets. Nerlens is a keeper. No one knows what Oak is in the current NBA. Sixers fans SWEAR Embid is an All-NBA player just waiting in the wings but are conveniently overlooking the lengthy history of big men with recurring foot injuries is a long list and the list of players who had successful careers after sitting out two years is zero. (And there is a "Hakeem With Range From Three" thought about him, with Sixers fans conveniently overlooking the fact Embid took a total of five three pointers in his one year on college.)

His landlords say otherwise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

The Heaven's Gate people have nothing on the Cult of Hinkie a lot of Sixers fans belong to.

The ones who killed themselves in San Diego, or the defenders of the 1980 movie? :)