DVDVR Message Board

ALBUM-OPENING SONG BATTLE

Lamp, broken circa 1988

5 hours ago, Ramsey said:

Kick ass record and this opens it.

I just came in here to post a Black Sabbath intro song actually, Black Sabbath has so many great albums and opening tracks

I love the opening note on this song, aka the Devil's Note

And there's this opening song Classic!

• Like 1

I can't think of an Ozzy or Dio era album that doesn't start with a corker. Aside from the ones listed we have "Wheels of Confusion", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" (!!!), "Hole in the Sky", "Back Street Kids" (sorry, that song rules), and "Never Say Die" (okay, I could concede there but it's still good). And Mob Rules starts with "Turn Up the Night", Dehumanizer with "Computer God". I'll let someone else go back to Heaven and Hell and all the other ones. "Disturbing the Priest" is good too...

I cannot -- CANNOT -- believe we remembered Hell Awaits and forgot about Angel of Death

EDIT: First off all we should all feel deep shame for missing that, and posting fucking Anthrax and Megadeth songs (myself included). Second of all, "Raining Blood" begs for an ALBUM-CLOSING SONG BATTLE thread! 

• Like 1

I was suddenly reminded of this today by looking up freestyles from a few years back, and I remembered how awesome I feel about this song. Most rap albums- hell, most albums- start with a long pause and a bunch of not much at all, building up "the moment" or whatever. Fuck that. The Underachievers had so much they had to say that they literally don't have a moment to waste. I wish I loved the rest of the tape as much as I love the gall of just grabbing onto that first impression and going "HERE IT ALL IS"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...