DVDVR Message Board

ALBUM-OPENING SONG BATTLE

Lamp, broken circa 1988

So while listening to The Evening Jones with Bomani Jones tonight, he made the claim that if there's anything he feels certain about The Life of Pablo, it's that Ultra Light Beam is as strong an intro as there can be. I don't know that I agree, but, I realized that I didn't have an answer immediately ready. Here's what I came up with.

(reasoning: it is a perfect warning of how weird this record is about to get)

GIVE ME YOURS. Please.

Still working my way through a lot of these, but the Wolf Parade intro was a tremendous oversight on my part. Holy fuck that track is amazing. 

Also really, really liked Year Of No Light. I find a lot of metal intros are assuming you will immediately buy into their idea of grandeur/"epicness", and Year Of No Light instead worked on actually earning that sense of grandeur. I stopped there for now.

I was also reminded of two I'm exceptionally fond of while thumbing through my catalog

Drones especially. That first crescendo is Vonnegut-style proof of a higher power.

No need for a YouTube video because everyone has heard it. Seven Nation Army.

Talk about setting the tone. That was Jack's "I know we're a duo, but our sound is going to be big now" moment. The rest of the album plays that way and is so tonally different from the first three Stripes albums.

This is as unobscure as you can get, but come on.

In high school, I did the scorebook for the baseball team. This was probably 96-97. I was a Sophomore and went to practice every day since I was quasi-manager too. And a senior would drive me the one minute from the High School to the Junior High where the field was. 

And Who's Next was always in the CD deck. And we made it through the first minute, minute twenty or so before the singing started and that was it, for about three months, every single day, and life was good.

• Like 1

Not a song, but seems necessary.

Heh, that's why I put 5 in my post.

I forgot this was a track 1, it's definitely on my list:

My namesake song is also a track 1, but I'm actually not all that crazy about it.

• Like 2