DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

JJ Hardy is the centerpiece of an Orioles championship team.

Sure, in AAA or maybe the Japanese leagues. . . 

No, this season. Notice, I didn't say what the championship was in. It may not even be a sport.

Probably not that ridiculous. I'm thinking he'll get in that $130-150m vicinity from one of the big AL East teams. Yankees have a crapload of money coming off their books this winter.

While the contract status will be an annoying distraction and a narrative the media won't stop writing about through the year, he will likely give everything he can to boost his stock and show that he's not slowing down.

So Ken Rosenthal is now saying Joey Bats wants more than 5 years and $150m - the AAV would be less than $30m

If that's the case - then cheerio Jose

What's the big deal? That's canadian dollars so it works out to, what like $75 american?

I KID CANADIAN POSTERS... I KID!!

I have zero problem with Jose asking for that much. The one interview I read from him, he was very forthcoming about the fact that the Jays took a big risk in offering him the last deal. But the fact is that he vastly outplayed it. This is quite likely his last contract, why shouldn't he ask for as much as possible? Whether the Jays give it to him or not is their prerogative, but there is no player who has inspired as much goodwill as Jose over the last 6 years. If this is his last year as a Jay, hopefully he goes out like a monster.

New rules for the coming season were announced:

- 30-second visits to the pitcher’s mound by managers and pitching coaches

"Slides on potential double plays will require runners to make a bona fide attempt to reach and remain on the base.  Runners may still initiate contact with the fielder as a consequence of an otherwise permissible slide.  A runner will be specifically prohibited from changing his pathway to the base or utilizing a “roll block” for the purpose of initiating contact with the fielder.  Potential violations of Rule 6.01(j) will be reviewable using instant replay.  Also reviewable will be “neighborhood play” calls, which previously were exempted from replay review."

So, the final tally...

Cubs lose: Castro, Coghlan

Cubs gain: Heyward, Lackey, Warren and Dexter.

I'm thinking the day isn't done yet and Soler may get moved, otherwise I guess you go with a Soler/Schwarber platoon in LF.

So, the final tally...

Cubs lose: Castro, Coghlan

Cubs gain: Heyward, Lackey, Warren and Dexter.

I'm thinking the day isn't done yet and Soler may get moved, otherwise I guess you go with a Soler/Schwarber platoon in LF.

I don't think there are any more trades, I just think Fowler is going to fit well in a spot were he gets regular playing time, just not everyday playing time.

The Cubs Bench, assuming you put Fowler on it, looks like...

Fowler, Baez, LaStella, Ross. 

And in reality, that's all you need off your bench. Let's you put more into builpen depth.

I would think Soler is the 4th OF splitting time with Schwarber. May as well keep Dexter in CF.

Jesus Christ. What an OF. This team has so much versatility on it now. It may be, on paper, the best Cubs team I've ever seen.