DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

Hey, so the Mets P&C reported today, so we're underway!   So, until anything actually happens, please enjoy:

Also, USA Today thinks both Chicagos are going to the playoffs:

021516-mlbprojections.jpg

And of course PECOTA has the champs finishing last (again).  

I have a hard time believing that the White Sox will win the AL Central and that the NL will have THREE 100-loss teams.

Well the Cubs 101 wins have to come from somewhere

Also note that that has the entire AL Central being above 80 wins

Well, the East is going to be murder this year and somebody has to finish that low. It definitely feels like both wild card spots will be from the East but I think that just about every year since they introduced the second spot. 

USA Today, the paper of record for bored hotel guests in 2016.

The most egregious thing in those predictions to me is the White Sox winning 90 games. NOPE.

I haven't made any predictions yet, but here's one bold one I'll make right now - the NL Central only gets one playoff team this year. That hasn't happened since 2010.

USA Today can go fuck themselves. The Yankees aren't finishing that low. With what they've added, they're going to be better than last year. 

Um...  I've got some news for you:

2015-16-FA-spending-by-team-2-1-16-table

I'm not talking free agency. The Yankees brought in Starlin Castro, Aaron Hicks, and Aroldis Chapman, all via trades. They solidified second base and now have Betances, Miller, and Chapman in the back end of the bullpen. They're going to be better than last year.

I will use the old mindset that the Yankees only lost like 2 games last year they had the lead going into the 7th. How much did they really improve there bullpen, and furthermore, how many more wins could that possibly be worth. 

As for 2nd Base, I love Castro, but he had a .8 WAR last year in a full season.

USA Today, the paper of record for bored hotel guests in 2016.

The most egregious thing in those predictions to me is the White Sox winning 90 games. NOPE.

I haven't made any predictions yet, but here's one bold one I'll make right now - the NL Central only gets one playoff team this year. That hasn't happened since 2010.

That is a bold prediction. So not one wild card team comes from the NL Central? 

I reserve the right to change my opinion in the next six weeks, but right now, I think that's what I'm feeling.

Even though the Brewers and Reds are going to be terrible and the Cubs, Pirates, and Cardinals are going to feast on them, Pittsburgh treaded water, the Cardinals got worse, the Giants and Diamondbacks got a lot better, and the Nationals won't be nearly as bad as they were last year.

The NL is weird this year because it's not wide open - there are only eight or nine teams competing for the five playoff spots. That's why a middling team like the Marlins could conceivably be contenders - if they shit kick the Phillies and Braves and just hold their own against the Mets and Nationals, they've got a legitimate shot at sneaking into the playoffs.

Everyone keeps saying Arizona got a lot better and I just keep on shrugging. Getting Greinke is huge, make no mistake, but they traded a quality CF for a quality No.3 Arm, and had no real replacement lined up in Center. That was a not good trade.

And I only think there will be 7 teams that will be competitive. There are 6 teams in the NL that look like they will be out right terrible, 2 teams that look pretty mediocre that have flashy players but pretty large holes (Diamondbacks, Marlins), and the 7 on top. 

I mean, AJ Pollock was their primary starter in center last year, and he was awesome. Inciarte mainly played in the corners. They're apparently going to play Tomas every day in right, which will be a fucking adventure. I'm not exaggerating when I say over the course of a full season, there could be a 30 run difference on defense between him and Inciarte.

Their infield is also pretty crappy aside from Goldschmidt, though I really do like Jake Lamb at third if he can stay healthy.

Favorite Diamondbacks thing - they went 79-83 last year. Fangraphs has them at 79-83 this year, PECOTA has them at 78-84. Reminds me when they traded Justin Upton to get grittier or whatever...and finished with the same damn record.

I can just never believe the Cardinals will regress until I see it. Maybe this will be the year.

My crazy prediction is that the Dodgers don't make the post-season, but that's partially based on trolling my girlfriend. Teasing her will be especially fun this season since her favorite player is now the Dodgers skipper. She is at least a Cubs fan also, so that's nice.

Crazy prediction #2 will be that the Cubs are "disappointing" and settle for the Wild Card again. I'm super fearful of regression from Bryant, Arrieta, Schwarber and Rondon. On the flip side, I feel like Lester has a career year. And if Bryant doesn't have a sophomore slump and manages to be even better, holy shit, that's MVP territory.

The Yankees announced today they will no longer accept print at home tickets.  

They'll only take the the hard paper tickets you get from the box office or mobile tickets via the Ticketmaster app.

(This has nothing to do with StubHub whatsoever, by the way. Not at all.)

The Strasburg market is going to be wild because of how shitty the rest of the FA class is. Plus, he's not exactly a slam dunk for production with his injury history.

Angels have money coming off the books next year and Moreno loves to spend like an idiot, so that's my way too early pick.

The Yankees announced today they will no longer accept print at home tickets.  

They'll only take the the hard paper tickets you get from the box office or mobile tickets via the Ticketmaster app.

(This has nothing to do with StubHub whatsoever, by the way. Not at all.)

In related news, boston is now doing their own secondary ticket service, opting out of mlb deal w stubhub

I hate what the Yankees are doing because all of tickets I've been buying since 2007 have been from stubhub and most of them have been the printable type. I still can use stubhub, I just have to get physical tickets and pay for shipping.

I don't see the Nats winning the NL East.  The Mets were a second half team last year and they have the best pieces of that at the start of this season and had some good additions this offseason.  As good as that rotation was last year, they could be even better this year.