DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

The Rays will be playing the Cuban National Team in Havana on March 22.

If this were the Marlins, I could see most of the team defecting to Cuba.

• Like 2

I am of the idea that there are never enough guys throwing the knuckler, but that is pretty fantastically weird.

I wonder if he has been fucking around throwing it for a long time and has a pretty decent command. Well, as decent of a command of the knuckler that exists.

High strikeout totals don't mean much if you're putting up power numbers and have a passable batting average and don't embarass yourself in the field. It just means you are swinging way too much trying to drive in runs. Now if You're striking out 230 times, batting .185 with 22 HRs in 700 PA, you probably have some issues.

A prime example is Mark Reynolds. You look at the year he set the SO record of 223, he batted .260, hit 44 dingers, drove in 102 batters and had 24 steals. Now that's not the norm because some years he'll bat sub .200 and do nothing and confuse everyone how he's on a team. You look at Davis and if you take 3 of his last 4 seasons, he's struck out a million times, but pounded the shit out of the ball, so who really cares if he strikes out or hits a pop up to the 1st baseman.

Another weird anomaly I like to point at is Jose Hernandez of the Brewers in 2002 who had 188 strike outs, which at the time was the 2nd worst ever, so bad they held him out to avoid beating Bobby Bonds existing record of 189. Yet, he hit .288 at that year, which is really weird as you don't think of high batting average guys striking out like that. For the record, 20 of the top 22 highest totals have all come since then for whatever strange reason. Is it an analytics thing? I'm not sure how a guy like Chris Carter is even on a team beyond power numbers. Same goes for the rest of them.

• Like 1

Another weird anomaly I like to point at is Jose Hernandez of the Brewers in 2002 who had 188 strike outs, which at the time was the 2nd worst ever, so bad they held him out to avoid beating Bobby Bonds existing record of 189. Yet, he hit .288 at that year, which is really weird as you don't think of high batting average guys striking out like that. For the record, 20 of the top 22 highest totals have all come since then for whatever strange reason. Is it an analytics thing? I'm not sure how a guy like Chris Carter is even on a team beyond power numbers. Same goes for the rest of them.

Heck, Bobby himself hit .302 with an .879 OPS (OPS+ of 135) the year he set the record.

What the hell kind of negotiating tactic is that?

Despite media reports that had Fowler all but officially signed with the Orioles, Fowler said he and Baltimore “never really were close” to an agreement.  “They wanted me to pay them what they said the draft choice I was costing them was valued at.  They wanted me to pay them for the pick.  So we said, OK, then give me an opt-out after one year, and they said that’s something they won’t do,” Fowler said.

This likely belongs in the stupidity thread, but Cueto was hit in the head last night and stayed in the game...Yeah...Bochy didn't pull him either. Cueto followed that feat up by giving up a 3 run homer. He finally was pulled after 3 innings. Per Bochy, "it showed how tough he is."

What.

The.

Fuck.

Adam LaRoche is retiring.

For an undisclosed "personal" reason

His teammates asked him to "sleep on it" hence why the announcement isn't official yet

• Like 1

Adam LaRoche is retiring.

For an undisclosed "personal" reason

His teammates asked him to "sleep on it" hence why the announcement isn't official yet

The reason? Ken Williams asked him to stop bringing his 14 year old son to the clubhouse all the time.