DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

Good lord. Per Theo, "No one else will be traded."

This is the team. This is the fucking team!

O-face

Could that be a bluff though? Sounds like the equivalent of giving a coach a vote of confidence right before firing him, in GM speak. . .

Nobody is saying shit about what's going to happen. We're simply showing excitement for the management putting together a great line-up.

Here's Dexter's agent on how classy the Orioles front office is:

In my 25 years in this business, never before have I witnessed such irresponsible behavior on so many fronts. Both the Orioles front office and members of the media were so busy recklessly spreading rumors that they forgot or simply chose not to concern themselves with the truth. The Orioles' willful disregard of collectively bargained rules governing free agency and the media's eager complicity in helping the Orioles violate those rules are reprehensible. Dexter Fowler never reached agreement with the Orioles and did not come close to signing with the club; any suggestion otherwise is only a continuation of an already disturbing trend.

At the end of the game, regardless of the situation, I still think the O's just have themselves to blame to an extent because they waited till late February to fill arguably the most obvious hole this team had going into the season this year. Them needing a RF was not a secret, was never a secret, and they still held off until now to make a move. Now they have to deal with the consequences.

re: Spring Training.

Arizona is better is nearly every aspect.

-The weather is better (rained once in three weeks when I was there two years ago, and isn't oppressively hot in March)

-Parks are mostly all new/newish and not falling apart

-Lawn seating at I believe every park, which means cheaper tickets

-Parks are centrally located, meaning the longest drive you'll have is ~40 minutes

-The food in Phoenix is sooooo much better than nearly any Florida ST city

-I believe parking was free at all but one or two stadiums, too. Been to something like six parks in Florida, and I think the only free parking is, oddly, the absurdly expensive Disney

Basically, if you go to Spring Training in Florida, you have two choices. Your first choice is to stay near your team and go to every game, which can require waking up and getting on the road at 8-9 AM some days. Your second choice is stay near your team, go to home games, and do whatever the hell you want on the other days. As a Braves fan, I've always done option B since there are just two (one starting next year) teams within an hour drive of WWOS and another two within two hours.

In Arizona, you wake up in the morning, look at the schedule, and decide which game you want to go to without much planning based on the probable pitchers, the lineup, and whether or not you want to see a team or park you haven't seen. We didn't pre-buy any tickets, and only had issues getting into two parks, both on Saturdays.

In short, if you're a fan of a team that trains in Arizona, go and have an awesome time. If you're a fan of a team that trains in Florida, think about if you want to see a lot of baseball or if you want to see your team.