DVDVR Message Board

WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CLASSIC (NO SPOILERS)

ChesterCopperpot

The Fujiwara-esque leg twist thingy Gallagher busted out was awesome. Man he is skinny and pasty too. I've never seen Zach Sabre Jr. before either but those were some Volk Han level ridiculous carny holds he was doing. No idea how a mainstream US audience would take to either of these guys but I dig it. Also, they'll have to get used to working in a far larger ring (but that goes without saying). 

I'm looking forward to checking these out later, but just want to point out how weird and surreal it is that Progress matches are being showing on WWE's site and Youtube channel.  This is kind of freaking me out but in a good way.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

I'm looking forward to checking these out later, but just want to point out how weird and surreal it is that Progress matches are being showing on WWE's site and Youtube channel.  This is kind of freaking me out but in a good way.

Hopefully they get the same type of benefit as Evolve apparently has from their association with WWE. I would expect them to get a fair amount of mainstream press in the UK where several national newspapers have wrestling columns (they might be online only, I don't know, but still should bring some new eyes).

What you might not know about the Zack Sabre Jr/Flash Morgan Webster match is that Flash dislocated his shoulder halfway through the match, and later tore his ankle ligaments. Still finished the match, okay Caristico?

• Like 2

On April 28, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Phil Schneider said:

Fred Yehi is the fucking best too. He honestly might be one of my five favorite wrestlers in the world right now.

Yehi might be top 3. Somewhere in that mix of Hero, Gulak, Callihan, Riddle. 

On 28/04/2016 at 4:39 PM, Norwegian Rudo said:

Hopefully they get the same type of benefit as Evolve apparently has from their association with WWE. I would expect them to get a fair amount of mainstream press in the UK where several national newspapers have wrestling columns (they might be online only, I don't know, but still should bring some new eyes).

The Sun's wrestling column is online only (and was behind a paywall for a couple of years). The Daily Star's column is in the actual paper every Thursday, it's been running for like 16 years nonstop. It even appeared on Impact one time (they interviewed Angle, and printed that he would be considering his options after his TNA contract required; JJ considered that a betrayal IRL, so they made an angle of it immediately).

On 4/28/2016 at 1:41 PM, Linus said:

What you might not know about the Zack Sabre Jr/Flash Morgan Webster match is that Flash dislocated his shoulder halfway through the match, and later tore his ankle ligaments. Still finished the match, okay Caristico?

23 hours ago, EricR said:

Phil and I wrote up the two Progress qualifiers

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/04/wwe-global-cruiserweight-series-progess.html

We're gonna write up the whole series and if the next matches are as good as these first two then we're in for a treat.

What are Pickled Onion Meanies? Do you mean Monster Munch, or like Space Raiders or something?

4 hours ago, AxB said:

What are Pickled Onion Meanies? Do you mean Monster Munch, or like Space Raiders or something?

I've not had Space Raiders but they're more similar to Monster Munch. They're puffed corn pickled onion crisps. They're delicious. Tangy, kinda sweet, strong pickled onion flavor. Looks like they're made in Ireland but I didn't realize they were exclusive to there. I figured they were all around the UK. 

For new additions: PWInsider reports Mr.450 has apparently been confirmed as a non-qualifier entrant in the series. (Considering he did a few jobber matches in NXT last year, it kind of went without saying he'd likely make the cut- but it's apparently official.) 

16 hours ago, EricR said:

I've not had Space Raiders but they're more similar to Monster Munch. They're puffed corn pickled onion crisps. They're delicious. Tangy, kinda sweet, strong pickled onion flavor. Looks like they're made in Ireland but I didn't realize they were exclusive to there. I figured they were all around the UK. 

Sounds like Space Raiders. I used to have an unhealthy addiction to the beef ones, and spicy Bikers. They were 10p a packet, how could I resist?

Here 'tis...

Quick question on these qualifying matchups; who is booking these, as in, determining who wins and loses? Does WWE have a set list of people they want advancing or is it just, using the other promotions picks and that's who they're gonna roll with?

Most likely, WWE have sent the promotions a list of who the qualifiers are, and then told them to pick anyone (for them to face) who's not on the winner's list. Although they'll have to be careful that some losers don't end up in multiple qualification matches.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Most likely, WWE have sent the promotions a list of who the qualifiers are, and then told them to pick anyone (for them to face) who's not on the winner's list. Although they'll have to be careful that some losers don't end up in multiple qualification matches.

Even then, just picking the losers would presumably also help the opponents as well, simply because even if they're defeated, the very chance to get scouted by WWE in a big-match situation (as well as showing your willingness to do business without complaining) would do well to eventually have WWE work with them in the future- so the losers are probably willing to jockey for those roles.

That's one I would really like to see in full. The crotch-thrust DDT through the ropes (what is up with the Brits and their weird moves) was mean as hell, and I loved Dar kicking Bodom in the face during the ankle lock. Plus he wrenched it in and serpentined around the leg like in that Angle/Benoit classic that I'll probably never watch again. What's the big deal with Dar, does he have some backstory I don't know about? Did somebody named Trevor die of breast cancer?

EDIT: Ah, it's not an ankle lock but a kneebar. Pretty weird one anyway. And I guess someone named Travis did die of breast cancer, I didn't notice the date on the shirt first watch. These guys really powder into each other from what's shown too; damn, those forearms to the head...