DVDVR Message Board

WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CLASSIC (NO SPOILERS)

ChesterCopperpot

On 4/2/2016 at 0:31 PM, Norwegian Rudo said:

According to Meltzer's podcast, NJPW are looking for a new partner for Sydal...

ACH & Sydal have made for a great team.

ACH, by the way, is a guy I expect in the tournament, unless they're avoiding contracted ROH guys.

For some reason the prospect of this, combined with a friend sitting me down to watch Wrestlemania IX on the Network (I know. Weird event to pick) has ended up with me excited for wrestling again, subbed to the Network & watching lots of NXT as well as old Raw. And maybe also Total Divas. But this should be really exciting. Just the idea of it is bold & the sort of thing I'm really glad they are doing with the WWE Network. Something different. Something fun.

I can't even really say why. Of the names announced the only ones I've seen are Tozawa, Noam Dar, Lince Dorado & I think Johnny Gargano was in Chikara? Wasn't he in FIST with Akuma & Icarus & Chuck Taylor?

13 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

He was told he was welcome back. It wouldn't be that LOL-worthy.

But at the same time, it was also said outright when EVOLVE became closer to WWE's A-ball affiliate that Sami Callihan's officially off the EVOLVE roster (albeit due to him signing with Lucha Underground.)

True, but I don't know.

If he had only said that he's not participating in the GCS, I would have been skeptical as well.

But the fact that he also announced that he will participate in NJPW's BOtSJ makes me think he's telling the truth.

The general state of affairs seems to be that Ricochet has a no-compete with LU that because of their compacted taping schedule would leave him out till late '17. That would never stand up in court, but of course that would be expensive so he's hoping to negotiate a compromise after season three finishes taping. Meanwhile he'll be working indies and NJPW.

Pretty sure WWE gets away with their no compete clauses because they actually still pay the talent during that time (60/90 days). Lucha Underground probably won't/can't do that. I still think he's just working people, though. Ricochet is probably the one big "name" from the indies they want in this tournament, no way Trips doesn't go after him hard.

The qualifiers from PROGRESS's show on April 24th will be announced tonight and tomorrow but the other matches already announced on the show make for interesting deductions.

Marty Scurll is defending his title against Tommy End, so he's out (from PROGRESS, at least), while Mark Andrews & el Ligero are in an 8-man tag match. Sabre Jr is already in, Ospreay is ineligible (you'd imagine), so that leaves Mark Haskins as the obvious one to go through. Other than him, you're down to "Flash" Morgan Webster, Paul Robinson (who is good but so not WWE's type), and Bubblegum (ditto). Pete Dunne has appeared for PROGRESS before, as has his "brother" Damian, so you could throw those two in, but I really can't pick a second guy.

Well remember - if they are doing a straight "winner advances" qualifier it is better for them to have the obvious choice and then an "unknown". So it really could be anyone who fits the tournament parameters

Being a good hand, helping put over someone that at that moment they is clearly interested in, will probably help a lot of guys further down the road (especially in this every changing landscape).

I look at it this way (and maybe naively since it is wrestling) - it is the normal business way of "you never know who might remember something you did for them". Like if it is Bubblegum (to randomly pick a name).

Further down the line - Regal could put in a good word to say Gabe and be like "Hey - he was great to do business with. Maybe bring him in for two shows." Then he does well there and suddenly he gets offers from other places. Who knows?

Again - this is me be ultra-optimistic.

Check back at noon with me after reality slaps the shit out of me.

• Like 2

EVOLVE: Drew Gulak versus Tracy Williams / Fred Yehi versus TJ Perkins

PROGRESS: Zack Sabre Jr versus Flash Morgan Webster / Jack Gallagher versus Pete Dunne

Already qualified "somehow":

-Rich Swann
-Johnny Gargano
-Tommaso Ciampa
-Noam Dar
-Akira Tozawa
-Ho Ho Lun
-Lince Dorado